Along with the onset of cooler weather here is our monthly update on current and ongoing strategic initiatives including:
- We're making terrific headway on our annual membership campaign. Overall, with thanks to our members DuraSpace has achieved 92% of its membership goals to date.
- We launched a new DuraSpace Service Provider (DSP) Program. Check out the 21 companies who are helping lower barriers to open source software on our new service provider listing page.
- The DSpace Community for the first time ever, published an annual report! The 2017-2018 Annual Report is now available. It provides an overview of the user community, membership, two brief community profiles, a technical overview, governance, finance, and events.
- Two camps are coming up this fall. A Fedora and Samvera Camp is happening at the Berlin State Library November 5 – 8, 2018 in collaboration with Data Curation Experts, and there will be a VIVO Camp, October 18-20, 2018, in the Butler Library at Columbia University. There's still time to register! For the Fedora and Samvera Camp click: here, or for VIVO Camp click: here.
- The 5th edition of DSpace Anwendertreffen is in Berlin this year, hosted by the Library of the Technical University Berlin. Over 100 people from Germany, Austria and Switzerland met last week to discuss DSpace case studies and best practices. This was a very important meeting for the DSpace community and for DuraSpace because at this User Group meeting in 2017 the idea of a German Consortium for DSpace membership was launched. As a result today there are 25 new DSpace members in Germany.
- It was announced recently that the VIVO 2019 Conference will be held Sept 4-6, 2019 in Podgorica, Montenegro in collaboration with The School of Medicine at University of Montenegro, Clinical Center of Montenegro, and the Institute of Public Health of Montenegro.
As we continue to work on these and other new and emerging initiatives, DuraSpace staff and board members remain grateful for our community’s financial support, and for their engagement in our work aimed at providing enduring access to the world’s digital heritage.
2018 Membership Campaign
Thank you to each of our renewing DuraSpace members for your continued support. You each have joined DuraSpace in the vital effort to provide technical leadership, strategic planning, community outreach, software release coordination, and marketing and communications to the DSpace, Fedora and VIVO open source projects. With just about a month left in our 2018-19 membership campaign here's where we are towards meeting the goals by project:
Total: $1,047,440; 159 unique members ; 92% of goal
- DSpace: $291,857; 58 members ; 113% of goal
- Fedora: $482,167; 71 members; 85% of goal
- VIVO: $174,916; 22 members; 84% of goal
General: $98,500; 20 members; 95% of goal
If you have questions about your membership, please contact Valorie Hollister <email@example.com>.
Register for a Members Only Hot Topics Webinar
Register today for our upcoming members-only webinar! The “Beyond North America: Widening Access and Participation” webinar will be presented on September 26th at 12:00 p.m. ET. This is the second webinar in our members-only Hot Topics webinar series, "The Revolution Will Be Open?" curated by David Lewis, Indiana University Purdue University Indiana, Dean Emeritus of the University Library, and Michael Roy, Dean of the Library, Middlebury College. They will review progress in the drive to make scholarly content open, discoverable, and accessible through initiatives originating outside the US. The Open Access 2020 Initiative, for example, is a global initiative whose strategy is to accelerate the transition to open access by converting subscription expenditures into funds that support open access; it is coordinated by the Max Planck Society on behalf of the research community and counts over 100 national and international funding organizations, university president’s associations, individual research institutions and library consortia from 36 countries across 4 continents. Colleen Campbell who works on OA2020 and Arianna Becerril García from Redalyc.org will share their experiences on the global open access movement bringing insights from where they sit in Europe and South America.
Learn more and Register Today!
Webinar Registration Open: ArchivesDirect Overview: Standards-Based Preservation with Hosted Archivematica
On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. ET, Sarah Romkey, Archivematica Program Manager from Artefactual Systems and Heather Greer Klein, Services Coordinator from DuraSpace will present a one-hour webinar, “ArchivesDirect Overview: Standards-Based Preservation with Hosted Archivematica.”
This webinar will provide an overview of ArchivesDirect, a hosted instance of Archivematica that includes DuraCloud preservation storage and is provided by DuraSpace in partnership with Artefactual Systems. We’ll cover what hosted Archivematica can do for your organization; how it integrates with other systems and services; and the training and support provided with an ArchivesDirect subscription.
Archivematica is an integrated suite of open-source software tools that allows users to process digital objects from ingest to access in alignment with the OAIS reference model. Together, Archivematica and DuraCloud provide a powerful, fully-hosted digital preservation software and storage solution. ArchivesDirect also includes onboarding and training by digital preservation experts to support your digital preservation goals and processes.
Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Register today!
DuraCloud 5.0 Release Integrates HTTP Live Streaming (HLS)
DuraCloud customers can now select HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) an option for streaming files. HLS is widely supported by browsers and mobile devices and allows for non-Flash video and audio players. HLS is supported by HTML5 video and audio tags. Both open and secure streaming options are available for HLS through DuraCloud.
Development work for this new feature was supported by an Andrew W. Mellon foundation grant awarded to UNC Libraries, titled Extending the Reach of Southern Audiovisual Sources: Implementation.
Detailed release and deployment notes can be found on the DuraCloud GitHub repository.
New Service Customers
We are excited to welcome new DuraCloud customers Surry Community College and Figshare.
ArchivesDirect, DSpaceDirect, and DuraCloud services from DuraSpace are built on solid open source software platforms and require very little effort to start up. DuraSpace staff experts work directly with service customers to provide personalized on-boarding processes and superb customer support. Our services can provide open access to institutional resources, preservation of treasured collections, and simplified data management tools. Contact Heather Greer Klein to learn more about any of the web services DuraSpace offers, and to learn about special discounts for new DuraCloud subscribers who are DuraSpace members at the Silver level and above.
WHERE WE'LL BE THIS FALL
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS DESIGNING STORAGE ARCHITECTURES MEETING, Washington DC, Sept 17-18 - Bill Branan
First Brazilian meeting on Open Science and Repository, Brasilia (Brazil), September 18-19 - Michele Mennielli
GEORGIA FESTIVAL OF SCIENCE AND INNOVATION, Tbilisi (Georgia), September 24-26 - Michele Mennielli
iPRES 2018, Boston, MA, Sept. 24-27 - David Wilcox
CONCYTEC CRIS DAYS, Lima (Peru), October 1-3 - Michele Mennielli
SAMVERA CONNECT, Salt Lake City, UT, October 8-12 - David Wilcox
VIVO CAMP, New York City, Oct 18-20 - Mike Conlon
FEDORA AND SAMVERA CAMP, Berlin, Nov 5-8 - David Wilcox, Andrew Woods