Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


at 12:00pm EST


U.S.A/Canada toll free: 866-740-1260, participant code: 2257295

International toll free:

  • Use the above link and input 2257295 and the country you are calling from to  get your  country's toll-free dial-in number
  • Once on the call, enter participant code 2257295


  • Amy Buckland - University of Chicago Library
  • Steve Gass - Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries
  • Wally Grotophorst - George Mason University
  • Bill Ingram - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
  • Danny Kingsley - University of Cambridge
  • Sara Lee - University of Hawaii at Manoa
  • David Lewis - Indiana University Purdue University Indiana
  • João Moreira - Fundacao para a Ciencia e a Tecnologia, I.P.
  • Ingrid Parent - University of British Columbia Library
  • Andrew Praetor - Imperial College London
  • Washington Ribeiro - Brazilian Institute for Information in Science and Technology
  • Jaime Schumacher - Northern Illinois University
  • Kristi Park - Texas Digital Library
  • Ryan Steans - Texas Digital Library
  • Maureen Walsh - The Ohio State University Libraries
  • Stuart Lewis - University of Edinburgh
  • Lieven Droogmans - @mire
  • Richard Jizba - Creighton University
  • Jonathan Markow - DuraSpace
  • Michele Kimpton - DuraSpace
  • Valorie Hollister DuraSpace
  • Tim Donohue - DuraSpace


Discussion items


Introductions and announcements 

  • David Lewis is new steering group chair

  • Steering group can all participate on Leadership group calls

10 min

Leadership Group Role  

  • Steering meets more actively and has closer oversight of the project, and typically works closely with Project Manager
  • Works with steering to set direction and manage projects
  • Leadership approves of key issues like budget and community direction
10 min

DSpace 2014 Financials  

Val, Michele
  • Questions on amount of indirect cost, Michele responded 15% of overall expenses if you include office and administrative expenses, this is documented in our audit. Peoples time is directly allocated to each project monthly, based on how they spend their time.  For activities such as participating in the DuraSpace board meeting- that time gets allocated across each project and service equally. 
  • Leiven asked if budget includes DSpace direct time, and Jonathan clarified it does not. DSpace direct has its own separate budget. Tim allocates his time monthly, for the year Tim spent 65% of his time on DSpace.
  • Lieven asked if there were any retained earnings for DSpace from prior years.  Michele responded no, as this is the first year DSpace actually has a small reserve. Last two prior years there was a net loss. You can now find actuals for 2013 on google doc.
20 min

DSpace Strategic Direction

  • We would like to bring the leadership group up to date on discussions with the steering group
  • We have many DSpace users, over 1600
  • Many of large institutions are feeling they are outgrowing DSpace for additional use cases
  • Where are the pain points?
  • Where should it be growing and how should it be growing?
  • Have 2 categories of organizations- those that need it to grow and most likely need the platform to be re-architected, and those satisfied with the incremental growth.
  • Each release has been really impressive with new features
  • Increased contributions from our key service providers
  • Tried this year to increase funds to hire product manager
  • However, could not raise enough funds, so Bram and Maureen led an effort to determine what the key use cases are among a broad set of international users.
  • In lieu of a Product Manager, we have asked James Evans from Open Repositories if he would contribute his time to organize the information:community survey, vision group work, and use cases
  • Put together road map, look at highest priority use cases
  • This initiative that will get off the ground shortly- worked out an arrangement for Open Repositories to synthesis material and come out with recommendations- working with Steering, leadership, stakeholders
  • Question: What would be the process for steering and leadership to review the recommendations made by James and the working group? We need to layout a process. Suggested timeline:
    • April 15- put proposal in place to steering for comment,
    • May 15-put in front of Leadership for validation
    • June 15- present to OR2015
  • Steering comm to review the scope of James, and how the process will work. 

  • Need to talk about DSpace 6.0 contribution early on to get input and start discussions around that.

  • Summary of work on wiki:
5 minQuestions?All
5 min

Future meeting schedule

  • Did not cover - will discuss via email

Action items