Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

 from 14:00-15:00 UTC

Location: https://duraspace.zoom.us/my/dspace (Meeting ID: 502 527 3040).

Agenda

  • (15 mins) Developer Stand Up - Developers give brief updates on their effort (or their team's effort).

    • Update/see "Current Work" section below based on your status. Please feel free to update prior to meeting.
    • Please highlight any new work (needing reviews/testing), any blockers (for you), and any discussion topics you may have.
  • (30 mins) General Discussion Topics
    1. Preview 1 Release Status (Goal was May 3 or 6). Where do we sit?
      1. Docker images with test content
    2. OR2019 Planning
      1. Preview 2 Release at end of May.  Which features should fit in that release?
        1. Theming/Branding strategy, One Webapp refactor, Solr upgrade process.
    3. Improved Estimation Strategy for Beta release. (Estimates should include time for discussion / code reviews, also should be done by multiple developers)
      1. Development Planning Spreadsheet needs to be updated, so that we can determine what (outstanding) tasks need estimation.
      2. Will be using Wideband Delphi estimation technique
  • (15 mins) Planning for next week

Attendees

Current Work

Legend for status icons

(blue star) = Highest Priority tasks (please prioritize these reviews/tasks over others). Currently this lists tasks/features that need to be completed for Preview Release.

(star) = Priority for OR2019 (Preview #2 Release).

(error) = review done (this week), changes were requested.

(tick) = review done, approved.

(warning) = review done, merge conflict or other minor changes requests

Tickets / PRs In Progress

  1. (Angular) Adding Accessibility via Travis CI  https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/356 (work in progress) (Lower priority)
  2. (REST Contract) Edit Homepage news: https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/45 (Ben Bosman  - has outstanding questions/comments) (Lower priority)
  3. (REST) Updating Owning Collections: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2283 (Kevin Van de Velde (Atmire)  - changes requested. Implementation doesn't align with contract) (Timeline: Should be ready a week after the entities are merged)
  4. (REST) Item Mapper functionality: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2282  (Kevin Van de Velde (Atmire)  - changes requested. Implementation doesn't align with contract) (Timeline: Should be ready a week after the entities are merged)
  5. (REST) DS-4210 Deposit on collection without workflow seems to fail (405 but succeed) (work in progress - support on identify failure on the test env will be appreciated) Andrea Bollini (4Science)
  6. (REST) DS-4043 Revisit the security layer of the submission  (work in progress) Andrea Bollini (4Science)

PRs Needing Review

  1. (warning) (REST Contract) Group and eperson management: https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/41 (Waiting on updates from Ben Bosman )
  2. (tick) (blue star) (REST Contract) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/57 (Mark H. Wood,  Paulo Graça , Andrea Bollini (4Science) )
  3. (blue star) (REST) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display):  https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2376 (Tom Desair reviewed, Paulo Graça - approved, Andrea Bollini (4Science) - minor changes have been applied and other things noted in separated ticket. The vote on the PR is related to the design disagreement that has been postponed as by comments in the PR)
    1. (blue star)(REST) Fixes based on Feedback on Configurable Entities https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2418 (Andrea Bollini (4Science) (tick)Paulo Graça (tick))
    2. (blue star) (REST) More Fixes based on Feedback on Configurable Entities: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2422 ( Andrea Bollini (4Science)(tick) Tim Donohue(tick)
  4. (REST) Refactor PatchBadRequestException to DSpaceBadRequestException and fix improper 500 response errors: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2403 (Needs updates - conflict to solve Andrea Bollini (4Science) review done)
  5. (star) (Angular) Transfer to .po message format - Initial PR: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/366 (Paulo Graça,  Tim Donohue , Art Lowel (Atmire)  UPDATED. NEEDS RE-REVIEW → Preview 2)
  6. (blue star) (Angular) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/372 ( Paulo Graça - (tick). Giuseppe Digilio (4Science)  (tick), Tim Donohue , Art Lowel (Atmire) - retested, looks fine)
  7. (blue star) (Angular) Preview release theme: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/376 (Tim Donohue  - Will be merged into a "preview" branch )
  8. (blue star) (Angular) Preview release theme, extended for entities: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/389 (Tim Donohue - Will be merged into a "preview" branch )
  9. (blue star) (warning) (Angular) MyDSpace UI (https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/384) (Art Lowel (Atmire) , Paulo Graça - NEEDS RE-REVIEW  Tim DonohueGiuseppe Digilio (4Science) REPLIED TO REVIEW, NEEDS FINAL APPROVAL)
  10. (blue star) (Angular) Tweaks for new entities data: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/390 (Tim Donohue , Paulo Graça ?)
  11. (blue star) (Angular) Preview release misc fixes: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/392 (Tim Donohue , Paulo Graça ?)
  12. (warning) (Angular Bug) https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/issues/368 (Andrea Bollini (4Science) - information added, Art Lowel (Atmire) )
  13. (star) (Backend) One Webapp Backend - Initial PR: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2265 (Ben Bosman , (tick)Mark H. Wood , (tick)Terry Brady )
    1. This PR will have a follow-up PR to rename the "dspace-spring-rest" webapp to "dspace-server" and update all URL configurations
  14. (star) (Backend) Upgrading to Handle Server v9: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2394 (Mark H. Wood)
  15. (star) (Backend) Our extensive EHCache configuration is ignored: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2397 (Terry Brady
  16. (star) (warning) (REST) Pagination issues on Items findAll - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2406 (Tim DonohueKevin Van de Velde (Atmire) - ASKED FOR UPDATES)

PRs Merged this week!

  1. (tick) (blue star) (REST Contract) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/57
  2. tinymce.emotions_dlg.check (blue star) Fixes based on Feedback on Configurable Entities https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2414 (Andrea Bollini (4Science) (tick)Paulo Graça (tick))

BLOCKED

  1. (Angular) Move Item Component: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/335
    1. Blocked by DSpace PR#2283
  2. (Angular) Item-Collection Mapper:  https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/348
    1. Blocked by DSpace PR#2282

Delayed

  1. (REST Contract) Edit Homepage News: https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/45
    1. Delayed until after Preview release. General agreement (in meeting on March 21, 2019) that storing HTML in metadata fields is not really ideal behavior.  Metadata (from a librarian standpoint) tends to be free of format-related markup (as that allows for easier sharing, understanding of metadata.  Currently Community & Collection homepage information is HTML-based and is stored in metadata that is appropriate for a minor subset of information (like the title) but it is better to move large/rich text to bitstreams.  
    2. Proposal here is to consider storing HTML-based markup (for Site, Community & Collection homepages) in Bitstream(s) associated with the object in question.  May allow for more CMS-lite behavior in the future
    3. Timeline for this is uncertain.  Possibly in 7 or 8. May depend on how/whether it can be scoped.
  2. (REST) Scripts & Processes endpoint: https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/17
  3. Concurrency in DSpace 7 (or 8).  What do we want to do when multiple editors are editing the same object?  Needs further analysis regarding implementation details
    1. We've decided (in meeting on March 7, 2019) to use ETags to implement concurrency. REST Contract notes on ETags: https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract#etags--conditional-headers
    2. ETags only update of the two fields match. If someone edits first, your edit would fail and you would get a fail response (422?)
    3. ETags seems to have broader support in other REST APIs.  Recommended also by both Art and Andrea.

Priorities for Preview Release

As discussed in previous DSpace 7 meetings, our DSpace 7 Preview release is aimed for early May, followed by a Preview #2 in May (before OR2019).  The top priorities for the Preview Release are (in this order):

  1. Submission & Workflow UI / backend 
  2. Configurable Entities (from DSpace 7 Entities Working Group)
  3. Upgrading Solr Server for DSpace (not required for Preview, as there's no user facing features. However, the earlier we feel comfortable merging this effort the better)

Priorities for OR2019 revolve around features or needs that we want to show off in Workshops/Presentations. These include

  1. Finalizing theming/branding strategy for new UI
  2. DSpace Backend as One Webapp
  3. Finalizing (as much as reasonable) the upgrade process (including Solr, Handle Server, etc)

Notes

  • Preview Release last steps (new timeline: May 15 at latest)
    • All blue star (blue star) PRs listed above are ready to merge after one final check.  Tim Donohueis doing final review & merge. Will ask for help if there are any questions
    • Marketing Working Group has an announcement ready to promote
    • Need to touch base with Terry Brady around the Docker build for the Preview Release (Remember, the Docker build will give an easy to install version of Preview with test data).  Some requirements of the Docker Build include:
      • Test data to show off Entities (Atmire has test data export ready)
      • Test Collection with workflow enabled to for using Submission / Workflow UI.  (Needs to be added to test data export)
      • The Docker build should be against the "preview" branch (or a tag) of Angular UI.  This "preview" branch does not yet exist, but will have an improved theme (see PRs #7 and #8 in the above PR list on this page).  The REST API can be deployed from "master" however (or a tag).
      • Terry mentioned he may want help/support in testing out the Docker build.  Tim can help some (now using Docker) but others also welcome.
  • OR2019 Planning
    • ALL: For next week, start to think about what we must reasonably have done by OR2019.  However, realize we need to scale back as several key developers (Tim, Art, Andrea) will have less availability between now and OR2019 because they need time to prepare talks/workshopts
  • Side discussion about making the Angular UI Travis CI functionality less dependent  on our Demo DSpace REST API. As we noticed recently, if the Demo REST API is unavailable, then some Angular UI tests fail (as they need a running REST API backend to perform tests.