Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date & Location

 at 15:00 UTC (11:00am EST)


NO MEETING on Tuesday, Sept 10.  Please provide updates via Slack on #entities-wg channel.


Location:

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:   https://lyrasis.zoom.us/my/dspace  (Meeting ID: 502 527 3040)

Attendees

Actual attendee list will be updated after meeting.

Agenda

#TimeItemInformationWho
15mins

Agenda

Any additional topics to today's agenda?  NOTE: Tim is UNAVAILABLE on Tues, Sept  24 (Attending 2019 DSpace North American User Group Meeting)

All
2
Clarifying Entities and AuthoritiesAll
510minsWrap-up and Assigning tasks
  • Assign tasks / PRs to review (as needed)
  • Next meeting is Tues, Oct 1 (No meeting on Tues, Sept 24)

Current Work

Tickets to Resolve

PRs Needing Review

  1. (NEW) (REST Contract) Entities support for external authority sources https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/74 (Paulo Graça - feedback provided ,Alexander Sulfrian, Tim Donohue )
  2. (NEW) (REST Contract) Configuring whether name variants should be used https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/77 (Paulo Graça - feedback provided , Alexander Sulfrian, Tim Donohue )
  3. (NEW) (REST Contract) Delete item with relationships https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/78 (Paulo Graça - feedback provided , Tim Donohue )
  4. (REST) Rename properties and support for name variants https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2488 UPDATED (Tim Donohue - Needs re-review, Dimitris Pierrakos , Paulo Graça )
    1. related to https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/461
  5. (Angular) Rename relationship type properties https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/461 ((tick) Tim Donohue, HAS A SECOND REVIEW) (WAIT TO MERGE UNTIL REST IMPLEMENTATION IS MERGED)
    1. related to https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2488 

PRs Merged this week!

  1. (tick) (REST Contract) Authority control Rest contract https://github.com/DSpace/Rest7Contract/pull/73
  2. (tick) (REST) Removal of filtered-discovery-page in REST https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2499
  3. (tick)(REST) [DS-4325]: Rename Discovery configuration for Entities https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2498
  4. (tick) (Angular) (Entities) Grid templates for entity types https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/433
  5. (tick) (Angular) (Entities) Deleting relationships: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/402
  6. (tick) (Angular) Removal of filtered-discovery-page in Angular https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/477
  7. (tick) (Backend) (Entities) DS-4316: Indirect entity refs during csv import https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2471

Task List

This list was roughly prioritized in the meeting on May 23, 2019 (just before OR2019).  The prioritization below may change, but it gives a high level overview of what still needs to be done. NOTE: Keep in mind, just because an item is listed here does NOT guarantee it will be completed for DSpace 7.  Some of these tasks may need to be delayed for a future release.

  1. (Lieven, Ben, Tim, Fernando, Jose, Mark, Oliver, Paulo) Submission integration (creating Entities & relations using the Item submission process) - Mockups already created by Paulo previously. - In implementation
  2. (Lieven, Ben, Tim, Jose, Oliver, Paulo) Which metadata fields should be used for each Entity type. (DS-4223).  - In implementation
  3. (Lieven, Ben, Tim, Mark) Additional data for relations (essentially "metadata" or labels on relations) - Related to many other features / use cases.   - In implementation
  4. (Oliver, Paulo) Author name variants  - In implementation
  5. (Jose) Configuration of batch import (via CSV) for Entities - Already a CSV import available, but can only link entities in CSV to existing entities (in the system). Need to decide how to represent relations in CSV. - In implementation
  6. (Mark) Permissions on Relations (who has permissions to add/modify/delete relations) - Currently, if you have Edit permissions on the Entity, then you can edit/delete any relationships to/from that Entity. (NEEDS DISCUSSION)
  7. (Fernando) Deleting objects with Relations (How or should deletion propagate between closely related objects, e.g. delete entire Journal) - Currently, deleting a relation just decouples the two Entities.  E.g. If you delete a Person entity, that Person may no longer be listed on any Publications it is linked to (may want to copy info over after deletion).  - Discussed on Aug 6
    1. Relates to GDPR
  8. (Alexander) AIP Backup & Restore (of Entities)*
  9. Dynamic display of Relations - determine automatically how a list of entities displayed on an Item page (list vs search). Currently hardcoded based on entity type (in item page template). Want to make it configurable/dynamic. (NEEDS DISCUSSION)
  10. SWORD integration (submission of Entities via SWORD) - Uses same format as AIP. Once AIP is implemented, SWORD should be easy.
  11. OpenAIRE v4 implementation using Entities* - Brought up in Steering.  Possibly just an OAI-PMH configuration which maps Entity metadata fields to OpenAIRE v4
  12. ORCID integration with Entities (for Person Entities). (Related to #15)
  13. Best Practices around Entities in Collections.  We've suggested in the Preview Release to structure Collections based on Entity Type (Person Collection, Projects Collection, etc).  We should better document and formalize these best practices.  Can we hide these Collections which only serve to store Entity Type.
  14. The ability of pick the proper affiliation of a Person for a specific context. DSpace should address this use case to allow the user to describe something like in this document http://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/bitstream/1822/46268/1/1-s2.0-S1877050917302788.pdf regarding the authors and affiliations. You have different persons, each can belong to an institution at the time of that publication. The affiliation shouldn't be changed afterwards. And the user should be able to pick the proper one if an Author has more than one.  (PER discussion on July 16, this is lower priority and may be more likely to be implemented in DSpace 8)
  15. (REQUIRED) Deeper dive discussion into how Entities will work with Authority Control, and how ORCID integration will work (as ORCID integrates with Authority Control). Some useful resources:  (NEEDS DISCUSSION - On agenda on Aug 27)

Notes

  • Paulo asked for clarifications on the Entities & Authority control discussion from 2019-08-27 DSpace 7 Entities WG Meeting
    • Tim walked through the PDF Slides presented from Lieven on that day (Slides / Mockups)
    • Q: In the Author search popup, is an author search being performed across all tabs at once?  That seems like it'd be very slow
      • A: That is the idea on the mockup, but we also identified that we could not support that behavior if it turned out that searches could not be performed asynchronously (and displayed little by little as results returned). Therefore, we might need to revisit this idea in the final implementation, and only perform a search if you click to the tab (or similar)
    • Q: Are we adding name variants to Authority System?  It looks like there are now dropdowns for names in Authority tabs, etc.
      • A: No, that looks to be a copy & paste error.  The goal is to NOT change the existing Authority System (in DSpace 6.x) functionality.  We are just trying to find a way for Entities & Authorities to live alongside each other in DSpace 7.  Any "merger" or tighter integration would need to be left for DSpace 8 (or some other future release)
        • Sidenote: That said, we did identify a need to transform (or migrate) and Authority record to an Entity....we never figured out how to do so, but it seemed like a use case we might want for DSpace 7, if a site is currently using Authority system and wants to migrate to using Entities
    • Q: Are these mockups final? There's usability issues here (how will users know whether to select an Entity or an Authority Record to import into) 
      • A: No, definitely not final.  In that meeting we noted some of the same usability issues.  The goal of the meeting was more to present a "brainstorm" of how Entities & Authorities could be displayed alongside each other.  Followups to the mockups will be required.
      • Paulo noted he will run these by his team for other ideas as well, and bring back to group
    • Other clarifications:  Keep in mind that some of the mockups here may not be necessary if you choose (as a System Admin) to only enable Entities, or to only enable Authorities.   Since both Entities & Authorities are optional, sites may choose to just enable one of them, which would mean users would not have to choose between them.  However, if both are enabled on a specific field, then these mockups show some early ideas of how we could display them side by side  (That said, we all agree there are usability issues, as end users / submitters may not even know or understand the terms "entity" and "authority" and/or know when to select one over the other)
  • No labels