This is a priority identified by the October 2011 community survey on improving metadata support authored by the DSpace Community Advisory Team at the request of the DSpace Committers/Developers. DCAT has summarized and interpreted the information gathered from the survey estimated level of effort required. DSpace community members should feel free to add more detailed explanation/examples to further flesh out the changes/requirements they would like to see. It is recommended that a community project team be formed around this work.
- Open up rights to use a controlled vocabulary and link from an external source:
- Although you can manage the metadata scheme in the DSpace data model, there is little out-of-the-box support for vocabularies (like DCMI Type) and encoding schemata.
- authority controls exist already, need to identify what specifically the community needs/what will work better
- develop educational materials/tutorials for the community about the current add-on
- not allowed to ship DSpace w/Library of Congress headings
- update challenge - need to open up rights to use a controlled vocabulary and link from an external source so it doesn't have to be brought into DSpace
- example: Nat'l Agricultural Library - linked open data, LC, subject based, NLM
Estimated Effort Level Required
LEVEL OF COMMUNITY EFFORT: likely medium to high
LEVEL OF DEVELOPER EFFORT: likely medium to high
If you would like to participate or lead this project team, please identify yourself here and/or send a message to the dspace-tech mailing list.
David Isaak (Participate) - firstname.lastname@example.org