At Open Repositories 2017 and the 2017 North American User Group meeting, updates on DSpace 7 efforts were presented. The slides from those talks are available:
- North American UG (August) update: https://goo.gl/cwKVkj
- OR2017 update (July): https://www.slideshare.net/tdonohue/on-the-road-to-dspace-7-angular-ui-rest
On February 28, 2017, we held a DuraSpace Hot Topics webinar to discuss the latest activities of this Working Group, with details from both the Angular UI and REST API subteams. The slides and video of that Hot Topics webinar are available at http://duraspace.org/node/3103
We've also provided a high-level summary of current status at: DSpace 7 UI Project Plain Language Summary
Scope & Objectives
The goal of this working group, led by Tim Donohue, is to create a new, single User Interface (UI) for DSpace that implements all functionality currently available in JSPUI and XMLUI. The UI will interact with DSpace core data through a completely new REST API to insure complete separation of the user layer from the data layer. This working group is split into two subteams: an Angular Subteam, led by Art Lowel (Atmire), which is concentrating on building a modern, responsive, client-side user interface using Angular and a REST API Subteam, led by Andrea Bollini (4Science), which is concentrating on building a new REST API based on state-of-art technologies, standards and best practices.
DSpace 7 Development Status
Latest, high level status of DSpace 7 development is captured in our Development Planning Spreadsheet. This spreadsheet provides details on what features are considered completed (i.e. functional), in progress, and still remaining to do.
Implementation of the User Interface and the REST API with code delivered on GitHub along with documentation on how to use, install, and extend the interface.
User Interface: Angular 5
REST API: Java
Demo site: https://dspace7-demo.atmire.com/
REST API Subteam is facilitated by Andrea Bollini (4Science)
REST API resources
- DSpace 7 - Angular UI Development : Getting started with DSpace 7 UI (aka dspace-angular) and how to contribute
- DSpace 7 UI Technology Stack : Overview of technologies we are using, and links to third party resources
- OR2017 DSpace Angular Workshop : Angular UI Training Workshop resources (slides and hands-on activities) from the OR2017 conference in Brisbane, Australia.
- The beginning of this workshop was also presented as a tutorial at the 2017 North American User Group meeting (at Georgetown University). Video of that tutorial is available at http://youtube.com/watch?v=c4AJ8HeZzcw
- DSpace 7 Community Sprints : Starting in May 2018, we are running public development sprints with anyone who wants to contribute. No prior experience with DSpace 7 is necessary, and it's a great opportunity to learn DSpace 7 in a "hands on", collaborative environment (Sprint Coaches are available for questions).
- Join one of our weekly meetings (see below). Meetings tend to be hands-on, but we welcome newcomers.
- Claiming tickets for either Angular UI or REST API also welcome. See ticketing systems linked above.
- Get in touch with the team via Slack. We'd be glad to talk about other ways to contribute
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
- Meetings: We meet every week on Thurs at 14:00UTC (10am EDT), using the DSpace Zoom Meeting Room (using Slack as a backchannel). Anyone is welcome to join these meetings.
- Slack: Between meetings, we encourage usage of Slack to keep in touch and ask questions. If you have not yet joined the DSpace Slack, you may request an invite. All are welcome on Slack.
- In Slack, we primarily use two channels:
- #angular-ui : For DSpace 7 (Angular) UI updates, discussions and/or questions.
- #rest-api : For DSpace 7 REST API updates, discussions and/or questions.
- In Slack, we primarily use two channels:
- Email: We use standard DSpace lists to communicate updates, meetings, etc. We are primarily using dspace-devel (our developers mailing list) and Slack for these communications. Once we get further along, regular updates will also be announced on dspace-community (and other lists).
- (Ongoing) DSpace 7 Development Planning: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18brPF7cZy_UKyj97Ta44UJg5Z8OwJGi7PLoPJVz-g3g/edit#gid=0
- Check-in on planning for our first DSpace 7 Community Sprints (May 7-18).
- Updates on latest efforts (either Angular UI or REST API), currently with a concentration on Search Mockup development, Submission wizard development, and MyDSpace as a dashboard (backend) development.
- Other specific topics TBD
August 28, 2017 (rescheduled from Aug 24)