Scope and Objectives
The regulations introduced by the European Union in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) are still a concern for DSpace’s users worldwide. The DSpace Leadership Group therefore established a “DSpace GDPR Working Group” to ensure documented compliance with the GDPR regulations.
The goals of the DSpace GDPR Working Group are:
- to determine if and which changes are necessary for DSpace to become fully compliant with GDPR;
- to explore whether recommendations can be given about how to run DSpace in a GDPR compliant way (including recommendations for a data protection statement and regarding DSpace’s configuration);
- to enhance the DSpace manual/documentation with regard to the GDPR and data protection;
- to implement necessary code changes in cooperation with the DSpace committers.
The DSpace Leadership Group emphasizes that the working group will be more successful if its membership is a good balance between technologists/developers, librarians, and repository managers. If you're consider to volunteer for this working group you can always jump in. Please contact Pascal Becker from The Library Code GmbH (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Working Group Members
- Pascal-Nicolas Becker, The Library Code GmbH, (co-chair, can be contacted by gdpr at the-library-code dot de)
- Isabel Bernal
- Stephanie Hinrichs
- emilio lorenzo
- Michele Mennielli
- Philip Münch, University Osnabrück(Germany), University Library, philip dot muench at ub dot uni-osnabrueck dot de
- Dimitris Pierrakos
- Beate Rajski, Hamburg University of Technology
- Andreas Sabisch
- One anonymous participant
Time and Date: First Meeting of the DSpace GDPR Working Group will take place on Friday, March 8th, 2019 at 9am UTC / 10 am CET (convert to your timezone).
Minutes from the first meeting are public: 2019-03-08 DSpace GDPR Working Group Meeting. Minutes from the following meetings will be held private until results can be shared with the whole community. Results of the working group will be made public.
For the members of the working group there is a private wiki space. The content will be made public, once the working group feels to be ready to present its result.
The following list contains resources of the DSpace community regarding GDPR. These are an important base for the work of this group:
- Article about GDPR in the DSpace space: Data Protection and Privacy
- Ticket about GDPR compliance in DSpace's ticket system: DS-3653, DS-4036.
Here we collect a list of URLs with general information about the GDPR and resources from other projects:
- https://pkp.sfu.ca/2018/04/30/gdpr-guidebook-pkp/ (PKP / OJS GDPR Guidebook)
- https://www.ihk-berlin.de/Service-und-Beratung/recht_und_steuern/vertragsrecht_online_recht/datenschutzgrundverordnung/die-neue-ds-gvo/ (in German, sorry)