Working group is retired. Next phase of this work (creating the DSpace 7 UI) has moved over to DSpace 7 Working Group
Working Group tasks are completed
The tasks of this working group have completed with the resolution of the DSpace UI Prototype Challenge and the selection of the Angular 2 UI platform for the next UI (see the Angular 2 UI proof-of-concept).
This selection was announced during a presentation at the OR16 conference in Dublin.
- Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/tdonohue/introducing-the-new-dspace-user-interface
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxQ60wjPXs
- Ongoing Video Updates: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLER-v9UmiFBut2SVfA2uUSuBFhSFnqlXh
As the new UI Initiative work transitions into a community-led/organized project, this working group has no future activities assigned. However it may be re-established at any time as deemed necessary.
Scope & Objectives
The DSpace Strategy and Roadmap Working Group recommended that the highest priority and first project for the new DSpace roadmap should be the creation of a single UI for DSpace. There is already wide support from stakeholders and DSpace Steering for a project to identify an architecture and technology that would replace the existing XMLUI and JSPUI interfaces with a new, modern UI.
The method for evaluating and recommending the alternative architecture will be defined and managed by this working group. It is assumed that community volunteers will work on minimal pilot applications that provide demonstrable alternatives for consideration. Working Group members may contribute/lead one of these pilots, but this is not a requirement for serving on the Working Group.
It is expected that the work of this group will be completed within a twelve-to-sixteen week timespan.
Deliverables & Timeframe
1. Document the method for evaluating and recommending alternate architectures/technologies - Documented in this charter
|August - September|
|2. Document pilot application expectations and requirements - DSpace UI Prototype Challenge ||August - September|
|3. Define criteria for evaluation - Final evaluation form linked off DSpace UI Prototype Challenge ||August - September|
|4. Recruit and manage pilot teams - Announcement sent to all mailing lists ||September|
|5. Due date for prototype submissions - Final prototype submissions at DSpace UI Prototype Challenge||December 2015|
|6. Review and evaluate work of the pilot teams - See DSpace UI Prototype Challenge page for evaluation form & schedule ||January - February 2016|
|7. Recommend a target architecture/technology for the new UI to the DSpace Steering Group and Leadership Group ||March 2016|
Note that the development of the new UI is not a deliverable of this Working Group.
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
Frequency of meetings will be every other week, unless modified by the facilitator. Initial meetings may be more frequent.
The group will use the standard DSpace lists to communicate. When using a shared channel, start the subject line with “[new-UI]” or something similar to distinguish content.
Meeting Notes are posted to the wiki below.
Tim Donohue, co-facilitator, DuraSpace
Jonathan Markow, co-facilitator, DuraSpace
- Andrea Bollini (4Science), Cineca
- Terrence W Brady, Georgetown University
- Pascal Calarco, University of Waterloo
- Peter Dietz, Longsight
- Lieven Droogmans, @mire
- Chris Gray, University of Waterloo
- Claire Knowles, University of Edinburgh
- Monika Mevenkamp, Princeton University
- Yifei Zhao, University of Waterloo
- Mark H. Wood, Indiana University
- (Additional members welcome, just show up to a meeting or get in touch!)
- DSpace UI Prototype Challenge : The full prototype challenge description and sign-up sheet
- Design - Single UI Project : rough timelines of the overall new UI project (including the Prototype Challenge)
- Early preliminary planning documents (now outdated)
10th August 2015 - Initial DSpace UI Working Group Meeting
25th August 2015 - Second meeting of the DSpace UI Working Group
- 31st August 2015 - Third meeting of the DSpace UI Working Group
- 10th September 2015 - Fourth meeting of the DSpace UI Working Group
- 2nd October 2015 - Fifth meeting of the DSpace UI Working Group