Today's Meeting Times
Friendly reminders of upcoming meetings, discussions etc
- DSpace 7 Working Group: Second Sprint announced (July 9-20), signups at DSpace 7 Community Sprints. NO VIDEO MEETING TOMORROW. Instead, feel free to share updates via Slack. Next meeting will be Thurs, June 21.
DSpace Entities Working Group: Next meeting is TBD. See wiki page for meeting details and past meeting notes.
- DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings: Next Show & Tell will be June 26 at 15:00 UTC.
If you have a topic you'd like to have added to the agenda, please just add it.
OR2018 DSpace talks. For those who missed OR2018, here's a link to the major updates/workshops related to DSpace. An OR2018 email to all lists will also be coming in the next day or so.
- DSpace 7 Update talk slides: https://tinyurl.com/or2018-dspace7
- Repository Rodeo Panel (a panel where all repository-related projects are represented. Each project provides an overview & recent news)
- Workshops / Tutorials
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 7 Status Updates for this week
- DSpace 7 Working Group is currently concentrating on building out search, submission, authentication and MyDSpace functionality. 4Science submission/workflow UI (see video, slides) to be submitted as series of PRs in coming weeks.
- DSpace 7 Dev Status spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18brPF7cZy_UKyj97Ta44UJg5Z8OwJGi7PLoPJVz-g3g/edit#gid=0
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 6.x Status Updates for this week
DSpace 6.3 Release Planning is ongoing. Target release date (was) week of June 11 (after OR2018), in reality just "ASAP once 4.x and 5.x releases are also sorted". There is just one PR sitting with a 6.3 milestone: Ben Bosman has shifted an S3 assetstore fix back to 6.3, so it will need testing / review. The rest of the work is testing and forward porting, and writing announcements, release notes, contributor credits, and the maven / sonatype release itself. Kim Shepherd has shared a draft gist of release notes / announcement text on the DSpace Committers list, would appreciate feedback on major fix highlighting. The contributor list needs updating the day before release.
- We need volunteers to release 4.9 and 5.9 so we can backport some important 6.x fixes and release simultaneously with 6.3
Tickets, Pull Requests or Email threads/discussions requiring more attention? (Please feel free to add any you wish to discuss under this topic)
- - DS-3649Getting issue details... STATUS
JIRA tickets / PRs marked for 6.3: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3
These topics are ones we've touched on in the past and likely need to revisit (with other interested parties). If a topic below is of interest to you, say something and we'll promote it to an agenda topic!
- Management of database connections for DSpace going forward (7.0 and beyond). What behavior is ideal? Also see notes at DSpace Database Access
- In DSpace 5, each "Context" established a new DB connection. Context then committed or aborted the connection after it was done (based on results of that request). Context could also be shared between methods if a single transaction needed to perform actions across multiple methods.
- In DSpace 6, Hibernate manages the DB connection pool. Each thread grabs a Connection from the pool. This means two Context objects could use the same Connection (if they are in the same thread). In other words, code can no longer assume each
new Context()is treated as a new database transaction.
- Should we be making use of
SessionFactory.openSession()for READ-ONLY Contexts (or any change of Context state) to ensure we are creating a new Connection (and not simply modifying the state of an existing one)? Currently we always use
SessionFactory.getCurrentSession()in HibernateDBConnection, which doesn't guarantee a new connection: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/HibernateDBConnection.java
- Should we be making use of
Help us test / code review! These are tickets needing code review/testing and flagged for a future release (ordered by release & priority)Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status Fix Version/s
Newly created tickets this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status
Old, unresolved tickets with activity this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status
Tickets resolved this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Tickets requiring review. This is the JIRA Backlog of "Received" tickets:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P
IRC Transcript is available at - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-06-13