This is a priority identified by the October 2011 community survey on improving metadata support authored by the DSpace Community Advisory Team at the request of the DSpace Committers/Developers. DCAT has summarized and interpreted the information gathered from the survey estimated level of effort required. DSpace community members should feel free to add more detailed explanation/examples to further flesh out the changes/requirements they would like to see. It is recommended that a community project team be formed around this work.
Use the "Other" field to specify which standards:
- need metadata expert to help define "Other" standards
- XML based schemas will be more complex since DSpace doesn't support XML (i.e., MODS)
- Hierarchal metadata:
- add functionality / move towards relational aspect functionality - like MODS (although MODS implemenation might be better done following some DSpace/Fedora intergration work since it is XML)
- allow relationships between community/collection/bitstream metadata
- possible iterative solution: create functionality that emulates hierarchal behavior
- adding in author affiliation
- metadata on bitstream - related back to items
Estimated Effort Level Required
LEVEL OF COMMUNITY EFFORT: likely medium to high
LEVEL OF DEVELOPER EFFORT: likely medium to high
If you would like to participate or lead this project team, please identify yourself here and/or send a message to the dspace-tech mailing list.