This page is outdated and kept for archival purposes only. It contains the proposal and discussion of the "Metadata for all DSpace objects" concept. The actual implementation of this concept in DSpace 5 is outlined in Metadata for all DSpace objects.
This is based on Claudia's comments in the commiter list and the topic discussed elsewhere. Goals should be to expand on this and relate it to other projects/efforts. For instance, the async release proposal will now include establishing a true "API" for DSpace legacy objects and placing this in the "modules" directory where other projects can depend on it.
Enable Metadata on All DSpace Objects
- enable metadata for all dspace objects (communities, collections,
items, bundles, bitstreams, metadatavalues, epersons, groups).
Revise the Default Metadata Registery
- revise the default metadata registry see
Add Metadata Authority Controls / Vocabularies to the Data Model
- not only manage the metadata schema, but also related vocabularies
(like DCMI Type) and encoding schemata.
Refactor Metadata Schema to Support inheritance from existing Fields
- enable multiple metadata schemas per default (dcterms, an
administrative one and a couple of standard namespaces like those used
Standardize the Default Namespaces
- think about whether standard namespaces (supposed the namespace is
complete in the default registry) should be editable at all. An instance
can always use it's own namespace.
Support Attaching Rendering Hints to DSpace Items and Metadata Fields.
- manage metadata field related configurations like hide option,
display, browse, search etc. in the db rather than in dspace.cfg. At the
moment one can delete/move a field which via the UI which is used as
Improve Support for MetadataValue
- get rid of the deprecated DCValue