The initial purpose of the Statistics Add-on was to promote RepositóriUM - Institutional Repository of Universidade of Minho and author self(or mediated)-archiving, by demonstrating the worldwide accessibility and usage (access/downloads) of archived documents. It was also intended to provide usage, content and administrative statistics to the community/collection administrators or coordinators.
What is the Statistics Add-On
The Statistics System is an Add-on to the DSpace platform that allows gathering, processing and presenting usage, content and administrative statistics. Despite the fact that the development was made to respond to the specific needs of RepositóriUM, the system is completely adjustable to other environments, because their components can easily be configured, changed or extended, to respond to different information needs.
With the release of the current version 3.0 of the Stats System the main focus was solving some architectural issues of version 2.1, primarily:
- Adapting the add-on to the new build and deploy mechanism of DSpace 1.6.2;
- New mechanism for gathering the events on DSpace, avoiding DSpace logging mechanism and log4j JDBC Appender (replaced by Mark H. Wood UsageEvent plug-in);
- New mechanism for aggregating the stats. Ported from pl/pgsql to Java;
- Eliminate the pl/java language as a requirement;
- Improvements on spider detection mechanism.
The main features of the Statistics System are:
- Customizable statistics queries
- Customizable web interface look and feel of each statistic
- Customizable access policies
- Data stored in database
- Access origin detection and processing
- Crawler/spider exclusion
- Real time/Batch statistics
- Temporal data aggregation
- Dimensional aggregations (e.g. Country, Document type, etc)
- Multilanguage support
The current version of the Add-on and system documentation (including installation documentation) is available in:
- Stats Addon - Version 4 for DSpace 1.8.2 (Patch)
- Stats Addon - Version 3.2 for DSpace 1.7.2 (Patch)
- Stats_v3.zip - Version 3.0, for DSpace 1.6.2 (as a Patch)
- Stats-addon-2.1.2.zip Version 2.1.2, for DSpace 1.5.2 (as a Patch)
- stats-addon-2.1.1.tar.gz - Version 2.1.1, for DSpace 1.5.1 (as a Patch)
- Stats-addon-2.0.tar.gz - Version 2.0, for DSpace 1.4.x
- Stats-addon-1.1.tar.gz - Version 1.1, for DSpace 1.3.x
- Stats-addon-1.1.tar.gz - Version 1.0, for DSpace 1.2.x
You can see the implementation of the Add-on in RepositóriUM where the general access/download statistics and individual access/download statistics (eg, http://hdl.handle.net/1822/4803) are publicly available.