The Islandora Video Solution Pack is used to ingest digital videos into Fedora. It supports creation of derivatives in various different video formats, and requires the server-side installation of accompanying codecs to enable this functionality. It can also be configured to stream the video to a player window on-site using JWPlayer.
- Core Collection Solution Pack
- The Islandora JWPlayer library (and the Libraries API module) are all required to play videos in a video object's 'View' tab
- ffmpeg is required if MKV and MP4 derivatives are to be created on the same server as Islandora
- ffmpeg2Theora is required if OGG and thumbnail derivatives are to be created on the same server as Islandora
Release Notes and Downloads
The Islandora Video Solution pack can be configured at http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/islandora_video, and includes the following options:
If JWPlayer has been correctly installed on the server, an option to select it as a viewer will appear here.
- Keep original file after ingest? - Check this option to retain files uploaded to a video collection as a datastream appended to the video object
Paths to ffmpeg/Theora executables
For derivative creation, the Video Solution Pack needs to know the location of the binaries that perform conversion. On Unix-based systems, this can often be done by running:
whereis ffmpeg ffmpeg2theora
and checking for binary package files located in folders called 'bin' (such as /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, etc.)
Video conversion in any context is an extremely resource-heavy task that can be very taxing on the computer performing it. In the case of Islandora, when using these derivative creation options, the task is called upon and performed by the 'apache' user on the same server Islandora is running on and that users are performing other tasks with. When creating video derivatives on ingest, please consider either delaying ingest to a low-traffic period of time, or performing derivative creation on another machine altogether.
Content Models, Prescribed Datastreams and Forms
The Video Solution Pack comes with the following objects in http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_packs:
- Islandora Video Content Model (islandora:sp_videoCModel)
- Video Collection (islandora:video_collection)
A collection created using the Video Solution Pack's content model will have the following datastreams:
Default Fedora relationship metadata
MODS metadata record created during ingest
Dublin Core record
The original video file ingested
|MP4||MP4 derivative created during ingest by ffmpeg and used by JWPlayer if no suitable video exists|
|OGG||OGG audio-only derivative created by ffmpeg2theora|
|MKV||MKV derivative created during ingest by ffmpeg|
|TN||Thumbnail image pulled from a frame of the video by ffmpeg2theora|
The Video Solution Pack comes with the Video MODS Form.