The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack is a Paged Content collection that is similar to the Book solution pack, with a few key differences. Unlike a book collection, a newspaper collection is intended to represent a single publication, and each object inside that collection is intended to represent a single issue of that publication. Another level down, each object is intended to represent a page of that particular issue. The Newspaper Solution Pack is designed to make it easier to navigate between issues and pages of a single publication - closer to the nature of a newspaper or magazine - as opposed to a book, which is more commonly read page-by-page.
Release Notes and Downloads
Adding a newspaper, issue and page
The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack comes with several different content models and the associated objects are intended to be ingested in a particular order:
- A child collection is set up and given the Islandora newspaper content model. This represents the publication to which issues will be added.
- Inside that collection, a new object is created; this will automatically be given the Islandora newspaper issue content model.
- Within that new object, pages are added. These are automatically given the Islandora newspaper page content model.
Because you will be ingesting multiple issues of a publication that contains extremely similar MODS records, it is recommended to install the MARCXML Module so that the MARCXML record from one issue can be uploaded into other issues. Check the MARCXML Module page for more information on downloading and ingesting MARCXML files.
Creating issue derivatives
Once pages are added and sorted in an issue, you can use the 'Issue' section of the issue's 'Manage' tab to create derivatives:
- Under 'Create PDF', if Ghostscript is installed on your server, you can concatenate individual PDF page datastreams into one ordered PDF datastream that can be appended to the issue itself
- Under 'Create Images', you can update the issue's thumbnail image if the first page of the issue has changed.
When looking at an individual page, navigation options will be given above the viewing window, listed below from left to right:
- A drop-down menu to quickly select a page in the current issue
- Options to view the entire issue or the entire publication
- Links to download any created derivatives
- A link to download the original image
The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack configuration page is accessible at http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_pack_config/newspaper, and includes the following options:
Create Page Derivatives Locally
This section allows you to configure the Newspaper Solution Pack module to create derivative datastreams for pages. The following derivative datastreams can be set, with their accompanying dependencies:
|TN, JPEG, JP2||Large Image Solution Pack|
This section changes how Islandora handles a request in the 'View' tab of a newspaper's page object. Islandora includes out-of-the-box support for OpenSeadragon; otherwise, no viewer will be available. Check the OpenSeadragon page for more information on installing this component.
Content Models, Prescribed Datastreams and Forms
The Newspaper Solution Pack comes with the following objects in http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_pack_config/solution_packs:
- Content Models
- Islandora newspaper content model (islandora:newspaperCModel)
- Islandora newspaper issue content model (islandora:newspaperIssueCModel)
- Islandora newspaper page content model (islandora:newspaperPageCModel)
- Default Collection Object
- Newspaper collection (islandora:newspaper_collection)
A newspaper issue ingested with all derivative creation options checked will have the following datastreams:
Default Fedora relationship metadata
|MODS||MODS metadata form|
Dublin Core record
|PDF||Concatenated PDF of existing newspaper page images compiled with Ghostscript|
Look at Islandora Paged Content for information on an individual page's datastreams.
The Newspaper Solution Pack comes with a MODS form that can be used to describe the Newspaper object and another form that can be used to describe Issue objects. Both of these forms are considered suggestions and users will want to review and update based on their own requirements.
Newspaper Batch Ingest
A newspaper batch ingest utility module is available as of version 7.x-1.6. The batch ingest module uses the same framework as the ZIP and Book batch ingests to batch add issues and pages to existing newspaper objects. The newspaper batch ingest can be run from the Islandora interface or from the command line with Drush. For more information, go to the Islandora Newspaper Batch documentation.
Solution Pack Demonstration Video