Page tree

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: 

Attendees: Huda, Tim, Lynette, Jason, Simeon

Regrets:  Steven

Zoom (for 1/25 only): https://cornell.zoom.us/j/858024292

Agenda & Notes

Review actions from 2019-01-18 Cornell LD4P2 Meeting notes

  • Steven Folsom keep track of cataloger perspective on work to support LC Names is in QA with context 
    • 2019-01-11 - Dave had added LCNAF to D.A.V.E. and Steven is working on the context needed for the search lookup UI. 
    • 2019-01-18 - Some discussion of language tags and two actions below
    • 2019-01-25 - no update
  • Lynette Rayle priority is completion of https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/issues/27
    • 2019-01-25: significant progress. refactored code showing context; fails on certain LD paths and doesn't expand out URIs (e.g.: if do broader, will only give URI, not URI + label) - has not yet attempted to correct. Other Significant item: LDPath gem is doing load for graph every time it tries to access something (SLOW)... may need to fork LDPath gem to make more efficient since will not need to reload graph every time (for our use case). Next week Lynette is gone; week after is Exhibits work... so likely update for next two weeks.
  • Lynette Rayle  (from discussion of LC Names in QA with context) 1) investigate & document algorithm for selection of languages with label and/or no label
    • 2019-01-25: no update
  • Lynette Rayle  (from discussion of LC Names in QA with context) 2) fix known bug in returning label in case with no language match (need to check whether it still exists after refactor)
    • 2019-01-25 - Confirmed no longer a problem with refactored code. <DONE>
  • Jason Kovari going thru CUL's D&A Jira (next week or so): https://culibrary.atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=19&projectKey=DISCOVERYACCESS&view=planning.nodetail
    • 2019-01-18 - Jason now has access to the D&A Jira
    • 2019-01-25: Steven Folsom  taking over the Jira issue review; will touch base with Adam Smith following initial review in that Adam has good knowledge of context and use cases underlying those issues. Steven on Discovery item for 20%
  • Huda Khan is working on whether usability work on catalogs has been done internally as well as externally to CUL. Code4Lib journal and another has some details
    • 2019-01-18: Have been looking at usability work and literature. Found some older material on Blacklight tests (when facets new), not so much after that. Some log analysis on SearchWorks. Also looking at linked data browser tools. Interesting dissertation from a few years ago on LD exploratory search. See discovery folder, literature exploration NOTES DOCUMENT, initial discussions with Tim regarding knowledge panels etc. , and also Stanford NOTES FROM LAST SUMMER
    • 2019-01-25: sprint this week and next week so nothing on this. Astrid has done four user sessions - Huda will check in with her when she is done. 
  • Huda Khan will set up another meeting with Jason, Tim, and Astrid  to plan way forward with the Discovery work plan. 
    • 2019-01-25: Huda will schedule a meeting in the not so distant future... will include Steven, as well.
  • Steven Folsom will ping cohort to find "owner" for LCMPT and source of accuracy tests https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/issues/13
    • 2019-01-18 Pending Nancy Lorimer response
    • 2019-01-25 Steven followed up via email.
  • Lynette Rayle will work with Dave on Video Game Genre Forms request https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/issues/42 – pending work from Dave
    • 2019-01-18 Still in Dave's camp
    • 2019-01-25: no progress. In Dave's camp until data is added to DAVÉ
  • Steven Folsomwill follow up with Christine and Marc about what entities we want to support lookup from wikidata
  • Steven Folsomto follow up with Dave via an issue about support for the two entity searches for LCGFT as outlined in the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rPvEoP9iYNkxJ0eWC8gXe3ci7e6mhW0da59xkGhadi0/edit#gid=696491968– it seems that the current sub-authority support was a guess based on parallels with LCNAF from before the work to derive specific requirements and document in the spreadsheet
  • Huda Khan has created local fork of Sinopia editor and  see what it takes to get front-end to do things to get them in-line with what we want to see... without affecting Stanford's development work
    • Have started looking at code and looking at use of React. Expect to work on this at beginning February
    • Steven would like to try uploading a profile
    • 2019-01-25: done. tried to get a profile from Steven loaded - used main demo site running off Stanford Sinopia's code. Brought up form with fields so seems more-or-less works. Getting to this in the first week of February. Looked a bit to understand how they set up front-end. Can see the look-up code... and need to consider how to change 
  • Lynette Rayle to work with Dave on QA/DAVE presentation at LD4 Conference
    • 2019-01-18 Going to do this with Dave, working on it this pm
    • 2019-01-29: will be done today
  • Huda Khan to discuss with Astrid possibility of UX presentation
    • 2019-01-18  Have discussed with Astrid. Abstract "yes" so far
    • 2019-01-25: Huda will get Astrid a draft next week
  • Jason Kovariwill discuss in LTS whether there a URIs from Share-VDE data that are useful and might be added to catalog
    • 2019-01-25: until we have some Cornell data back from Casalini, Jason does not want to have discussion in LTS – people will need to see / explore data before forming opinions on utility. At present, no timeline from Casalini about delivery of dataset.
  • ALL - discuss Cornell goals at LD4 Conference and who might go
    • 2019-01-25: wait until whole group is present... missing Simeon and Steven for 1/25
  • ALL - Wikimedian: who is going to the interview?
    • Tim is only one available from the group present on 1/25
  • Issues: https://waffle.io/LD4P/ld4p2-cornell

Status updates and planning

  • Cohort engagement 
    • 2019-01-25: Jason and Steven are receiving inquiries from cohort members about shared work... seems breakdown (in Jason's opinion) of cohort communication and confusion as to how people/institutions engage beyond the Sinopia user group. Jason Kovari: will touch base with Michelle to inquire about how this communication transpires ... and likely correct his confusion over communication issues. 
  • Discovery developer search
    • 2019-01-25: Simeon Warnerwill talk with Jesse about Stanford plans and then talk to budget & finance.
  • Authority Lookups for Sinopia (Production QA instance: https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues/)
    • 2019-01-25: no changes. everything requested at present is available. work presently is adding authorities and look-up refactor. Sinopia not yet ready for look-up refactor.
  • Prep for Cataloging Sinatra and other 45's (Discogs data, https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ADiscogs)
    • 2019-01-25: Steven Folsom: needs to respond to two questions on issue 35 re: discog roles - and how to map
  • Sinatra Profile Work:
    • 2019-01-25: This work is coming together, documentation of changes to the LC Sound Recording Analog Profile can be found here: https://github.com/LD4P/ld4p2-cornell/blob/master/Sinatra/profiles/Sinatra_profile_Decisions-copy.pdf
      • Still need to (hopefully for next week Steven Folsom ): 
        • update propertyTemplates that involve lookups to abide by the syntax generated by the Sinopia Profile Editor for QA (QA look ups are available as drop-downs in the profile editor now)
        • communicate this work has happened in case others might want to used templates I've created (e.g. RWO profiles instead of Authorities, GeoNames instead of LCNAF)
        • negotiate how far to move away from some LC BFLC patterns and using entities instead of literals (especially in the case where BF, RDA, etc. have properties)
        • Create song template, just haven't gotten to this.
  • Enhanced Discovery
    • See notes regarding usability work above.  Astrid is conducting user interviews with researchers to understand discovery needs and has completed three of these so far.
      • Preliminary impressions: 2 areas: (a) Shorter-term Blacklight contributions: knowledge panel design and integration while bringing in linked data, schema output, and design and implementation of connecting to/integrating authorities (but linked data versions?), (b) design and exploration around how linked data could be integrated into discovery such as semantic search (which may involve interesting alignments between info modeled in ontologies and traditional library search and may even intersect with machine learning/NLP options), possibly resulting in prototypes that address particular user concerns (e.g. identifying related items, demonstrating more clearly what information is actually present and related within the search space, etc.).  Based on literature/existing work, appears there are definite improvements to the search experience that are possible and preferred.  Also very related to user experience: relevance and search algorithms. 
  • Travel and meetings
  • Next meetings:
    • Lynette will be out for 1 Feb meeting (Samvera Valkyrization meeting)