Page tree

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: 

Attendees: Steven, Huda, Lynette, Simeon

Regrets: Jason

Agenda & Notes

Review actions from 2019-03-29 Cornell LD4P2 Meeting notes

  • Steven Folsom keep track of cataloger perspective on work to support LC Names is in QA with context 
    Steven Folsom to reach out to Nancy to see what data we get from the "Profiles Wrangler" survey about QA needs, will then reach out to cohort to check results and see if anything is missing
    • 2019-03-08 - Received a confirmation from Nancy that they are happy to share. The survey closes 2019-03-08.
    • 2019-03-15 - Paloma mentioned before the survey closed that https://www.rbms.info/vocabularies/ and http://www.ligatus.org.uk/lob/ were named. Waiting for a complete list. The former, I (Steven) don't believe, is LOD; we'll have to confirm and come up with a plan.
      • List of datasets named in the Profile Wrangler Survey:
      • Steven Folsom will make sure there is a github issue for each vocabulary and try to find an owner for each. We will need to find out whether there are URIs for these terms – might not be able to support all

        • 2019-03-29 Issues not yet in github

        • 2019-04-05 - SF everything that has RDF has an Issue; has asked profiles leaders to discuss with cohort issue with non-RDF authorities, do they have effort to do the conversion?

  • Lynette Rayle LDPath gem has two problems: 1) bug in LDPath parsing paths, 2) it is doing load for graph every time it tries to access something (SLOW)... may need to fork LDPath gem to make more efficient since will not need to reload graph every time (for our use case)
    • 2019-03-29 - Issues were created for the qa_server (Performance #56, Parse Error #65) and ldpath (Performance #3, Parse Error #4) gems.
    • 2019-04-05 - Both issues are resolved. ldpath has been move to samvera-labs so Lynette and other can maintain. The parse issue is resolved by use of parenthesis (when specifying context is it useful for do as an ldpath in spreadsheet. see LCNAF issue), the performance issue has been fixed by adding "do-not-go-out-to-network" flag. DONE
  • Lynette Rayle investigate & document algorithm for selection of languages with label and/or no label. In cases like AgroVoc where languages are handled well then we just want to document the (good) algorithm; but in other cases where language information is wrong we need to be able to turn that off (need more config for this). Motivation is that we want good documentation in order to be able to discuss cases where language data is bad and we need settings to ignore it. Should be done in time for May meetings.
    • 2019-03-22 - Documentation has been started but still has some TODOs to fill in information. Created issue to track (Issue #61)
  • Jason Kovariwill discuss in LTS whether there a URIs from Share-VDE data that are useful and might be added to catalog
    • 2019-03-29 We have what is expected to be the final dump of SHARE-VDE effort. Hope to look at it soon. Then have discussion in LTS – people will need to see / explore data before forming opinions on utility
    • 2019-04-05 Have dump and is in DAVE, but hasn't been investigated yet
  • Simeon Warner re: Enhanced Discovery work
    • 2019-03-29 Position posted yesterday, Simeon to push to code4lib etc.
  • Huda Khan to create new repository for Cornell discovery work and then create issues for the three work areas organized in a project board
  • Issues:

Status updates and planning

  • Enhanced Discovery (see also https://wiki.duraspace.org/x/sJI7Bg)

  • Authority Lookups for Sinopia (Production QA instance: https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues/)
  • Prep for Cataloging Sinatra and other 45's (Discogs data, https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ADiscogs)
  • Travel and meetings (see LD4P2 Cornell Meeting Attendances)
    • LD4 conference and pre-meeting partners (Jason, Steven, Huda, Lynette, Simeon)
      • Simeon has reserved minivan for Wed 8 through Sun 12 May
      • Everyone feel free to add to pre-meeting agenda document.
      • What to show at conference?
        • LC NAMES, Genre, Geonames, (and NALT, AgroVoc) all have context – will demo something in Lynette/Dave presentation
        • Discogs lookup, context, and some data import into local Sinopia – in Tim/Steven presentation
        • Astrid/Huda presentation – focus on usability and discovery
    • LD4P June 2019 Meeting: Agenda formation: https://wiki.duraspace.org/x/p4B7Bg
      • Michelle (2019-03-21, email): "June in-person partner meeting in DC: planning hasn't started yet, it would be good to have at least one person from each of Cornell/Harvard/Iowa SLIS/LC/PCC/Stanford involved in the planning. Let me know if you want to take part."
      • Partner meeting is day after cohort; can we wait to plan until after May meeting?
  • Next meetings:
    • Steven out April 19th.