Community discussion of Wikidata related topics with the goal of understanding how the library can contribute to and leverage Wikidata as a platform for publishing, linking, and enriching library linked data. In LD4P2, work with Wikidata pertains to WP3: Linkage to External Authorities and Web Context Data.
The group will meet biweekly to discuss various aspects of Wikidata in support of the partner and cohort institution projects involving Wikidata. At each meeting, Hilary (Wikimedian in Residence) or a guest will present some relevant material related to the topic and we’ll discuss any issues members have encountered as well as helpful resources.
Anyone, including those not participating in LD4P2, is welcome to join the group.
Chair: Hilary Thorsen
Dedicated, open Slack channel in LD4 – #wikidata http://bit.ly/joinld4slack
Dedicated, open Google group – ld4-wikidata
Public meeting notes in Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JwTulCABs0TkGQDVSnYbIYEb7bC-j4-n
Meetings are recorded and links to the recordings can be found in the meeting notes
- 2019-04-23 Agenda: Intro and Wikidata Projects
- 2019-05-07 Agenda: More Wikidata Projects
- 2019-05-21 Agenda: Goals/Outcomes and WikiProjects
- 2019-06-04 Agenda: Wikidata at the LD4 Conference
- 2019-06-18 Agenda: Wikibase and the German National Library
Advertised monthly on the following mailing lists. If you have ideas for additional lists to send an invitation to, email Hilary (email@example.com).
- LD4 Partners and Cohort
- Wikimedia lists
- Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC)
- Metadata librarians
- Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) Central
- Library and Information Technology Association (LITA)
Potential Call Topics
- Project documentation
- Conflict of interest
- Modes of communication, i.e. discussion lists, discussion pages, IRC chats
- Best practices for references
- Best practices for sources
- Property proposals
- Accuracy of Wikidata
- Scope of Wikidata–which areas have the best coverage
- How to take advantage of Wikidata tools
- Provenance of data
- Data donation
- Batch loading