Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

  • Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Time

  • 10:00am Eastern/14:00 UTC

Dial-in

We will use the international conference call dial-in. Please follow directions below.

  • U.S.A/Canada toll free: 866-740-1260, participant code: 2257295
  • International toll free: http://www.readytalk.com/intl
    • Use the above link and input 2257295 and the country you are calling from to get your country's toll-free dial in #
    • Once on the call, enter participant code 2257295

Future DCAT Meetings

Mark your calendars with the next several months of DCAT mtgs - time will be 10am Eastern/14:00 UTC:

June 3 (date changed because of OR14)
July 8
August 12
September 9
October 14
November 11
December 9

Attendees

 

Discussion Items 

TimeItemWho
 1) Debrief on DSpace Steering Group mtgMaureen & Sarah
 2) Metadata panel at OR14Metadata team


1) Debrief on DSpace Steering Group Mtg

  • Maureen and Sarah attended SG mtg as part of the Tech Planning Group (group that took over work from Vision group - collected use cases that reflect feedback from survey)
  • SG mtg to talk through a plan for governance 
    • agreed on structure and what membership levels mean for governance 
    • determined who will be in Leadership Group, Steering Group, etc.
    • determined permanent working groups: DCAT , Technology Planning Group (TPG), Product Planning Group (PPG), Implementation Group (IG)
      • roles to be formalized  
      • membership not a reqmt to be on a working group - reqmts for DCAT membership shouldn't change - willingness to participate, DSpace membership not reqd
      • DCAT will serve as advisory group to SG, TPG, PPG, IG
      • chair of DCAT will sit as an ex officio member of the SG discussion
    • SG wants to hire project manager - who will chair PPG
    • Implications for development -  DSpace 5 will develop as normal - incremental changes/ad hoc changes contributed by individuals; but there will be a more directed process for DSpace 6 – with dedicated resources to work on directed development projects
    • SG also working on mission for DSpace - consistent with vision group work   
  • SG has made the following requests of DCAT for now
    • gather use cases from community by Sept, currently the TPG only looked at use cases that came out from the survey
      • what is DSpace going forward - anything/everything on the table for consideration (do we need a 3rd user interface? brand new architecture?)
      • what are the end to end functionality needs (no prescribing HOW something should be implemented – but identify what needs there are in the community)
      • one of the key areas would be about metadata – identify use cases / how best to address metadata needs
      • use cases gathered should be consistent with the recent vision that was developed and agreed to - institutional repositories / open access / etc
      • what are core use cases vs. integration use cases
      • agree on which prominent use cases will NOT be addressed by core DSpace
        • i.e, not a collaboration tool for work in process / unfinished work (data or otherwise) 
    • by OR14, rewrite the "charge" (mission/goal/activities) of DCAT to include the governance - codify what is the charge of this working group
      • will DCAT be able to choose some of the work we do? yes, we should be able to help bring issues to the attention of SG - both respond to requests and initiate discussions 
      • DCAT represents the non-technical part of the community - acknowledged that there is a difficulty in involving those from Asia/other time zones - how can we integrate DCAT charge - state minimum effort for engaging in DCAT topical discussions 
      • get re-written charge finalized by May 30 and sent to SG, get SG feedback and finalize for OR by June 6
      • Bram has started Google doc for everyone to provide input on: http://bit.ly/dcat-charge
      • Val to send out Doodle for mtg week of 5/26 to discuss charge

 

2) Metadata panel at OR

  • Should we change focus to be more broadly about metadata use cases?
  • Should we have a mtg with panelists in advance? Yes, if we add another person to the panel
  • Val to send out Doodle to see if we can find time the week of June 2 to discuss - REVISION - propose we just use the next DCAT mtg on June 3 to discuss



Action Items