Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees

Bram Luyten - @mire
Elin Stangeland - Cambridge University Library
Jim Ottaviani - University of Michigan
Maureen Walsh - The Ohio State University
Sarah Potvin - Texas A&M
Sue Kunda - Oregon State University
Valorie Hollister - DuraSpace

STILL NEED SKYPE ADDRESSES FOR THE FOLLOWING DCAT MEMBERS:
Augustine Gitonga - Aga Khan University Hospital
Bharat M. Chaudhari -@ School Of Petroleum Management, Gandhinagar, India
Claire Bundy - BioMed Central
Dibyendra Hyoju - Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya/eIFL.net
Elena Feinstein - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Leonie Hayes - University of Auckland
Maureen Walsh - The Ohio State University
Yan Han - University of Arizona Libraries

Time

  • 10:00am Eastern/14:00 UTC

Dial-in

  • (209) 647-1600, participant code 373133, host code: 560833 (can be done via Skype - for directions: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/cmtygp/DCAT+Conference+Call+Dial-in). 
  • Please note that we have been having lots of connectivity issues with the "freeconferencecallhd.2096471600" Skype dial-in lately. Generally you can get on, but Skype seems to boot you off at regular intervals. To avoid the frustration we recommend dialing in via a Skype phone call -- simply use the Skype dial pad and dial the USA # 209-647-1600 and then the conference code # as prompted. You will need to have a Skype account with money in it in order to place this kind of call -- and it will likely be about 3 cents a minute, depending on where you are calling from. We are looking for other solutions to the problem -- and also for your suggestions if you know of other solutions.

Discussion Topics

 

Topic

Discussion leader

1

Questions/comments/additions to news/events update

Val

2

Action item updates / JIRA issue updates on the 2013 DCAT Discussion Schedule

ALL

3

Updating the Qualified Dublin Core registry in DSpace discussion

Sarah P.

4    

JIRA workflow improvements

Val

5

What's up for overlap mtg discussion with the developers on Wed?
- directions for getting onto the IRC

ALL

6

What's up for discussion this Thurs/Fri?

ALL

7    

Other items?

ALL


Actions from previous meeting

Action Item

Assignee

Status

Updating Dublin Core project  
1)  determine project lead, if necessary
2)  document specifically what needs to change (suggested that team pick the easiest solution that would create the least controversy/conflict for the community for 1st phase and maybe breakdown project into subsequent phases)
3)  forward proposed changes to Tim and he will put it on a developer mtg agenda 
4)  project team to attend developer's mtg to discuss 

Sarah P., Amy, Maura Valentio, Maureen 
(Amy to set up 1st mtg)

Aug 14

Select new JIRA issue

ALL

 

Update JIRA/Robin Taylor on type based submission forms feedback

Bram/Elin

DONE

Post topics for Thurs/Fri discussion

Val/Sarah P

SARAH DONE

Update the current status of issues: 
1) on the 2013 DCAT Discussion Schedule summary - identify "Recommended Action"  
2) solicit DCAT feedback on your issue in the DCAT Discussion Forum if you need any further/more current DCAT feedback on your recommendation (push to big/complex project list, drop as low priority, etc.) before posting your DCAT recommendation to JIRA  
3) add DCAT recommendation to JIRA issue, including links to DCAT discussion if you have not already done so

ALL

Sept 4

News & Events

  1. Upcoming DCAT meeting dates: 
    1. October 9
      1. mtgs will continue to be on Tuesdays 10:00am Eastern/14:00 UTC
      2. DCAT members will select a topic during the mtg to discuss w/developers the following day during the weekly Developer mtg
      3. designated DCAT member will represent topic and as many DCAT members as possible will attend 1st 15 min of Developer mtg 4:00pm Eastern/ 20:00 UTC 
    2. November 13
    3. December 11
  2. News 
    1. Last week to register for the E-Science Institute
    2. VIVO to Join DuraSpace Organization Incubator Initiative
    3. DSpace and the Webometrics Institutional Repository Ranking, July 2012
    4. DuraSpace at Seventh International Open Repositories Conference 2012
    5. NEW PUBLICATION: Aligning National Approaches to Digital Preservation
    6. DuraCloud Offers Reliable Digital Preservation at Affordable Prices  
  3. Webinars/Podcasts/Courses:
    1. Upcoming
      1. E-Science Institute - Launch webinar on Thurs, Sept 6
      2. DuraCloud Brown Bag, September 26, 2012 
  4. Events    
    1. ETD 2012 in Peru, Sept 12-14 
    2. Fall 2012 Internet2 Member Mtg in Philadelphia, Sept 30-Oct 4, 
    3. iPRES 2012 in Toronto, Canada, Oct 1-5
    4. PASIG in Dubin, Ireland, Oct 17-19
    5. 2012 Digital Library Federation Forum in Denver, Colorado, Nov 4-5
    6. EDUCAUSE in Denver, Colorado, Nov 6-9
    7. Berlin 10 Open Access Conference in Stellenbosch, South Africa, Nov 6-8, 
    8. 6th International Conference on Metadata and Semantic Research in Cádiz, Spain, Nov 29-30

Minutes

1) News 

-no questions / comments

2) Action Items

-should reinforce DCAT interest DS-531 - Sarah P to follow up helix84

3) Updating Qualified Dublin Core 

Summary of discussion

1. Refining current DSpace DC according to 2005 QDC recommendations VS aiming for adding DCTERMS as a new schema

The  spreadsheet currently proposes the first approach. It's less intrusive and already helps to get closer to more uniformity. However, it seems like the DC community itself, with the DCTERMS namespace is already a bit further down a different path.

Adding a new schema and making it optimal for people to convert/migrate existing metadata to this new schema might in the end make it less intrusive than performing changes to the current standard DC which might affect everyone.

2. Definition of "locked" schema's

We started off with the question whether a potential standard schema should be locked on either the element level, or as far as the qualifier level.

Given the fact that DC allows extensions, it's my fear that if we don't allow people to add at least qualifiers, that we're being to severe. Therefor locking could mean that both standard elements and their qualifiers can't just be renamed or deleted from the user interface.

In terms of the element level, there seemed to be consensus that elements in a "locked" schema should be added, removed or modified.

3. Migration path

The usecase of someone starting with a new installation of DSpace with a shiny new standardized namespace seems very different from existing DSpace users who might be confronted with a lot of migration efforts & pain.

If we can't come up with a concept, either with or without help of the developers, to make migration painless & riskfree, there might be very little uptake (given that we would be able to get something in the code to start with).

Therefor, it might be a good idea to investigate in detail how far the impact goes when we start changing things here. A very quick list could be:

Any process that create new metadata in dspace

- submission forms

- spreadsheet importer

- command line import

- SWORD

- built in OAI-Harvester

Any process that displays metadata in the web user interface

- item pages

- search, browse, DSpace discovery

Any process that delivers the metadata (potentially via crosswalks) to other applications

- OAI server

- REST API

- ..

4) JIRA workflow - did not discuss

5) Overlap discussion

-check to see if developers need feedback on any features

6) Thurs/Fri discussion

-more on Updating Dublin Core 

Actions Items from this meeting

Action Item

Assignee

Deadline

Reinforce DCAT interest DS-531 with Ivan/helix84

Sarah P

Sept 6

Testing / helping review un-merged issues: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks, guidance from Ivan/helix84 here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/dspacecommunityadvisoryteam/WuzWXaEYwSw|https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/dspacecommunityadvisoryteam/WuzWXaEYwSw

ALL

Sept 7

Thurs/Fri discussion: updating Dublin Core discussion forum topic - feedback/reaction/more thoughts?

ALL

Sept 6-7

Update the current status of issues:  
1) on the 2013 DCAT Discussion Schedule summary - identify "Recommended Action"   
2) solicit DCAT feedback on your issue in the DCAT Discussion Forum if you need any further/more current DCAT feedback on your recommendation (push to big/complex project list, drop as low priority, etc.) before posting your DCAT recommendation to JIRA   
3) add DCAT recommendation to JIRA issue, including links to DCAT discussion if you have not already done so

ALL

Sept 7

 

 

 

  • No labels