Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date & Time

  • November 14th 16:00 UTC/GMT - 11:00 ET

Dial-in

We will use the international conference call dial-in. Please follow directions below.

  • U.S.A/Canada toll free: 866-740-1260, participant code: 2257295
  • International toll free: http://www.readytalk.com/intl 
    • Use the above link and input 2257295 and the country you are calling from to get your country's toll-free dial in #
    • Once on the call, enter participant code 2257295

Agenda

 Terry Brady will moderate the November 14th call.
  • Brainstorm 2018 discussion topics for DCAT
    • What information would you like to share?
    • What aspects of the system would you like to learn more about?
    • View the DCAT meeting archives for possible discussion ideas.
  • Updates from the group - what projects are you working on with your repository?
    • IIIF and DSpace
    • Other updates?
    • Is anyone from the Entities Working Group on the call?
  • DSpace 7 updates
    • Tim Donohue provided the following update.
      • The DSpace 7 team has been concentrating efforts recently on Search & Submission functionality. The UI Mockups for both are on the Wiki: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+UI+Mockups  In recent weeks, much of the effort has been on the backend (i.e. REST API) of these features, so they are not yet available to demo in full.  However, a very early version of Search is now on the Angular UI demo site: https://dspace7-demo.atmire.com/home (this is not yet feature complete, but it works at a basic level).  The latest goal is to attempt to have demo-able early versions of these features by the end of the year (if not sooner). 
      • After Search & Submission, we will be moving on to Authentication / Authorization features. In fact, early work on a "stateless" Authentication implementation has been started at the REST API layer (see this PR: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1873).  But, this work is not yet complete and not yet utilized by the Angular UI layer.
      • If anyone has staff/developers interested in getting more involved, we could use more resources (which would also help us to move more rapidly). Currently the DSpace 7 Dev team is still rather small, and is primarily Atmire and 4Science staff members, along with occasional Angular UI help from William Welling at Texas A&M (and coordination by myself).  We could use folks who are interested in helping to develop/design either the REST API or Angular UI (or both).


Preparing for the call

If you can join the call, or are willing to comment on the topics submitted via the meeting page, please add your name, institution, and repository URL to the Call Attendees section below.

Meeting notes

Future Topic Brainstorming

  1. The role of the repository
    1. The role of the repository and aggregating content that is openly available elsewhere.
    2. When an institution has multiple repositories, how do you define the role of each instance.
  2. ETD Best Practices
  3. DSpace and Preservation 
    1. What methods do you use
  4. Metadata and authority control/curation tasks (enhancement ideas/wishlist)
  5. ORCID and DSpace
  6.  Metadata auditing/reporting options.  Sharing best practices. 
    1. Example - finding duplicates across the entire repository
  7. OpenRefine and DSpace
  8. Create a hub of DSpace documentation contributed by DCAT, for example, links to DSpace LibGuides, videos, tutorials.
  9. 2018 Goal: Create a channel of Repository Manager Videos
    1. Model on the work done by the OJS community
    2. Example: the REST API documentation is very limited and needs more examples
    3. Possible Goal: create one video per month
      1. TODO: Create YouTube channel (ask Tim Donohue to create one)
      2. TODO: Create a DCAT sub page for useful documentation, lib guides, etc
        1. See Documentation Resources collected from DCAT Members
      3. TODO: Create a DCAT page to brainstorm candidate videos
        1. See Documentation Resources collected from DCAT Members
  10. Curation System - How do folks use it and what do you wish it could do
  11. DSpace Testing Best Practices
  12. Use case curation - review and discuss the use cases DCAT created in the past
    1. The DSpace 7 Outreach group has been actively working with the documented use cases.
  13. Tour of DSpace command line options

Updates from the Group


  • No labels

6 Comments

  1. Here is a link–in my LibGuide for editors--to all of the OJS training modules from PKP:  https://guides.lib.ku.edu/journal_editors/learn_ojs .  Something equivalent to this for DSpace would be really great.  

    1. This is so well developed, thanks for sharing! It inspires me to revise our OJS guide now!

      1. Feel free to borrow any or all of it! 

        The guide is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, though terms of use for the individual resources linked from this guide may vary.  

  2. I'd like to add a topic related to the 'role of the repository' - DSpace+. How is DSpace being used alongside other tools and digital asset management systems? Texas A&M is bringing up Spotlight for exhibits, Fedora for complex objects, etc., as we transition to a digital asset management ecosystem, and I'd be very interested in talking/learning more about how DSpace is used as part of a broader set of offerings.

    1. Yes, that would be really helpful.


  3. Just a quick FYI, we already do have a DSpace YouTube account.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/dspacevideos

    I would gladly work with whomever to upload any "Repository Manager Videos" created (I think this sounds like a wonderful idea). We can also easily create a playlist for these videos and/or a sub-channel.