Child pages
  • Suggestions for HC2016 program
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

This list is now closed.  If you have additional ideas for the Hydra Connect program, please email them to hydra-connect@googlegroups.com and they will be looked at.  However, work has begun in earnest to tie down the timetable and there will be very limited scope for adding in new material.  Thank you to all those who have contributed.

Items in blue have already been transferred to the Program Committee's list of possible sessions.

 

Justin Coyne

TitleAudienceFormatSuggested byPresenter
 
State of the HydraSphereAll30 minute plenaryRichard GreenTom Cramer (suggestion)
Unconference time for WG & IGsAllUnconferenceHPS2016Group convenors
F3 to F4 MigrationDevelopers, Managers(?)PanelJim Coble

Jim Coble (Duke); plus persons from other sites that have or are migrating:

Adam Wead

Case Study: Oregon Digital Migration from ContentDM to Hydra for digital collections

AllPresentationSheila RabunOregon Digital team (potentially including former team members?)

Service Management panel - potential focus could be:

  • how managers, developers, librarians, and other team members can all work together to improve Hydra service management - service management is not just for managers? something like that?
  • sharing success stories and best practices
  • sharing challenges and potential solutions
AllPanelSheila RabunTBD
Service Management workshopManagersWorkshopSheila RabunTBD
UX Panel (possibly workshop, depending on interest?)Managers, developersPanelSonya BetzSonya Betz, Jenn Colt, Tim Broadwater, David McCallum and potentially others

Half or full day track for new and advanced adopters.
Possible topics for newbies:
Dive into Hydra,
Code/Architecture walk through of Curation Concern/Sufia,
What gem to use as a base for the application

Possible topics for advanced :
Strategy to keep gem dependencies up to date,
Adding advanced features to local app, and porting back to the community,

Strategies/Discussion for production environment

Managers, developers

 

Workshop,
Panel 
Nabeela JafferThis is a suggestion, and will require multiple presenters
In-depth PCDM - what it is? what it does? how it works? how to implement? new developments?Managers, metadata people, developers, all?Sheila Rabun per requestMaybe someone who is presenting on PCDM at Open Repository?

This might or might not be part of the one above, but... PCDM for Dummies.

I think there is a need out there for a PCDM introduction that starts from a lower base from those I've so far seen. What are the community drivers for PCDM? (LDP, RDF, Fedora 4). Why? What does that give us? (solid examples of linked data being useful, and a nod to interoperability with non-Hydra folks). What does it mean for me? (for established users, moving from FOXML to a relationships graph) How do I do that? (Overview of data modelling with PCDM) How HyBox might help in this (standardisation, convergence) Etc, etc

New managers, established managers who still haven't got their heads around PCDMShort workshopRichard GreenIt might be a good learning experience for me to do it partnered with someone who knows PCDM and LDP/RDF well.
What Does It Mean to Be a Hydra Partner?
Discuss expectations, contributions and advantages of Partnership. Reinforce the distributed, participatory nature of the project.
AllPanel, with audience interactionTom Cramerpanel of partners and perhaps 1 would be partner talking about Partnership.
Hydra Financial Vision & Organizational State (unless covered by a state of the HydraSphere or other high level preso). Review Hydra's financial status and Hydra Power Steering discussions around money.AllPresentation followed by discussionTom Cramer 
Dive into GeoConcerns : Hands-on exercises with GeoConcerns, a PCDM-based Fedora 4 reference implementation for geospatial resources in a repository.Managers, developersWorkshopDarren HardyEliot Jordan, Darren Hardy
Geospatial metadata sharing with OpenGeoMetadata, and issues with modeling in RDFAllPanelDarren HardyIdea from Geo IG call
Using GeoConcerns in Sufia : demos of use cases and roadmap for future developmentAllPresentationDarren HardyEliot Jordan
Organizing regional Hydra meetingsAllPanelChrissy RissmeyerOrganizers of previous regional meetings (some possibilities: Linda Newman, Karen Cariani, Chrissy Rissmeyer, Matt Critchlow, Arwen Hutt, others?)
Migrating from MODS to Linked Data RDFDevelopers and Metadata folksPresentationSteven AndersonMembers of the MODS and RDF Descriptive Metadata Subgroup
Docker/Vagrant, what are they? creating, maintaining, using, etc.DevelopersWorkshopMichael FrisciaColin Gross
Populating your repository with open source content from external systems - share experience or aspirations with methods, APIs, local features. More comment from Linda: I can speak as a project manager / dev team leader about my research trying to sort out the landscape with various platforms and APIs (some commercial / some open source) that offer potential for automatically discovering and perhaps ingesting content. This may relate well to the suggestion from Rick Johnson and Don Brower titled "Fedora Research Object Model and Hydra APIs." This could be a breakout session or panel (or even lightning talk) - I'm interested in hearing what experiences others have to share if they have tested using things like the Elsevier APIs (Scopus and Science Direct), the JISC Router, FigShare, Symplectic Elements, and/or the Open Science Framework, to even partially automate the discovery and ingest of open source content into your local hydra repository. I'm also interested if others have found ways to work with platforms such as Academia.edu and ResearchGate. AllPanel followed by discussionLinda NewmanLinda Newman + hopefully others with stories to share
Partner table or Q&A space possibly combined with Poster session - informal gathering opportunity for prospective partners with questionsAllsocialLinda NewmanIdea from 6/10 partner call
Approaches to Asynchronous Storage and HydraDevOps and ManagersPanelRick JohnsonIdea from 6/10 partner call
Investigating a Hydra API to preservation systems (DuraCloud Vault, LOCKSS, Preservica, Arkivum, DPN, Tape, HSM, etc.) – (Related to Asynchronous Storage, above, but possibly distinct)Developers & managersDiscussion / working groupTom CramerMay be a working or interest group meeting.
Introduction to Data Modeling (following discussions at LDCX on how to get more data modeling expertise in Hydra community) Current & would-be data modelers, people who want to know what’s the deal with data modeling WorkshopTom Cramer, Rob Sandersonpossibly: Tom Johnson, Rob Sanderson, Mark A. Matienzo, Christina Harlow
Technical On-Boarding - discussion of how to contribute code at the community level including such topics as: commonly used architecture patterns, expectations/suggestions for pull request size, determining the level of the gobstopper at which certain types of work should be implemented, etc.Developers who are planning/interested in participating in community-level dev effortsWorkshop?Steve Van Tuyl, Josh Gum, Brandon Straley, Gregorio Luis

?

 

ScholarSphere migration from Sufia 6 to PCDM - What we did/are doing (could still be in progress). Metadata Mapping. Tips for your migration.AllPresentationCarolyn Cole

Carolyn Cole

Testing with Rspec and Hydra

This will be a reprise of a workshop given at HC 2014, but improved and updated to cover new issues with the PCDM stack of gems, as well as strategies for test refactoring and speed improvement.

The workshop will go over testing practices for each of the principle unit components of an application (models, controllers, views, jobs, services, etc.) and also contrast that with how feature tests and written. Takeaways will include some "boilerplate" examples for each kinds of test, test suite configuration, continuous integration, and if time permits, one-on-one help with individual questions or blockers that anyone might be currently having.

Developers, new and oldWorkshopAdam WeadAdam Wead

Archiving Research Data into Hydra through the Open Science Framework (OSF) -

A look at initial work of Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins to archive research projects from the OSF into Fedora and Hydra repositories, and first implementation of a Fedora Research Object Model. This plugs into a service offering of the Center for for Open Science, OSF for Institutions (OSF4I). ND/JHU version will be initial support for OSF Fedora Archiving Add-on in the OSF as part of OSF4I offering. We hope to start discussion around next steps for other Hydra institutions to use this along with OSF4I to allow them support to archive research data from the OSF into their own Hydra/Fedora repository.

AllPresentation

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson

Don Brower

(someone from JHU?)

Fedora Research Object Model and Hydra APIs-

Based on initial work by Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins for archiving an OSF project into a Fedora repository, start community discussion around developing standard data model(s) (i.e. ontologies) for a Research Data Object coming into Fedora and Hydra. This relates to some discussions around HyBox and standard APIs into Hydra. Can we develop standard models for Research Data Packages (i.e. objects) that are sent and received through standard Hydra interfaces? In turn, can these APIs be used to send and transmit information between Hydra and external systems like the OSF, Figshare, CRIS systems, profile systems, etc? We look to use ND/JHU work as reference implementation and foster this effort towards community models that would then be adopted and nurtured community-wide.

Developers, managers, metadata folksDiscussion/Working GroupRick Johnson

Rick Johnson

Don Brower

Hydra, research data and Archivematica

Notwithstanding Rick's ideas above, a couple of us in the UK are looking at Archivematica's place in a research data pipeline. Hull and York have slightly different use cases but share the desire to put research (and likely other) content through Archivematica on its way to the repository thus giving us a solid base for long-term preservation. At the time of writing (June) we are each building a proof-of-concept system and this work should be complete and demonstrable by October.

Developers, managersPresentationRichard Green

Richard Green

Julie Allinson

Moving Features to the Core

I'd like to have a discussion/working session with folks who have built Sufia- or CurationConcerns-based applications to learn about what features they've been adding, and to discuss ways to move these features from the edges into the core for broader impact and long-term maintenance. One area of focus will be hearing from the folks at University of Virginia about the features they've built in their Sufia 7-based Libra 2 application. The goal is to leave the session with a lightweight plan and timeline for extracting features into community-maintained components.

Product owners and developers with a stake in Sufia and CurationConcernsDiscussion/Working GroupMichael J. GiarloMichael J. Giarlo, Ellen Ramsey (suggested)

Hydra in a Box

An update on recent progress on the Hydra in a Box project, including work related to product development for the repository and metadata aggregation components, development of the hosted service, development and infrastructural decisions, and community engagement. (We're willing to take some feedback from the Program Committee about how to best shape our presentation.)

AllPresentationMark A. Matienzo

Hannah Frost (suggested), Michael J. Giarlo (suggested), Gretchen Gueguen (suggested), Mark A. Matienzo

Profiling your Stack - Everything's Slow, What Now?

The Hydra stack is large and complex, getting a handle on what's causing a specific slowdown can be difficult. This session would recommend some tools, strategies, and places to look for improving the performance of your application.

DevelopersPresentationTrey Pendragon

Trey Pendragon

UAlberta has been doing LOTS of work on this - happy to contribute to this presentation as well with our experience!

Standard APIs and Interfaces for Interoperability

We've settled on standard solutions like LDP and PCDM within our community, but what does it get us? This session would focus on the current and potential benefits of the standards we've fallen down on, as well as identify opportunities for further interfaces and collaboration with institutions who may not be using Hydra.

All?PresentationTrey PendragonTrey Pendragon

Intro to Elixir

Some of us in the Hydra community have been looking at other tools to supplement our Hydra stacks. This would be a workshop to introduce a fast new language with ruby-like syntax, concurrent processing, and a stable framework.

Developers, All?WorkshopTrey PendragonTrey Pendragon, more please?

Efficient development and deployment of Hydra projects using Vagrant.

In this presentation, we will present a software development and deployment process that we have developed at Virginia Tech. We have used this procedure to develop several Hydra projects for University Libraries services at Virginia Tech and have also used it to conduct interviews for Ruby and Rails developers. We implemented a central vagrant box to facilitate the development and deployment processes. Using this vagrant box gives us many benefits: 1. Code immediately. Our software engineers can focus on coding without worrying about software installation. 2. Unified development environment. All developers do their work in the same, consistent development environment. 3. Development of multiple projects simultaneously. Developers can work on multiple projects in parallel, switching between project environments in just a few minutes. 4. Minimal differences between development environments and production environment. After we finish implementation, we can quickly deploy our applications into a cloud environment (e.g. AWS and OpenStack) that is highly consistent with our development environments. We will present and demonstrate our hands-on experience on how we use a single vagrant box with different GitHub repositories to develop multiple Hydra applications in detail, including Sufia, GeoBlacklight, Fedora, Solr, Vagrant, AWS, and OpenStack.

Developers, Managers, SysadminsPresentationYinlin ChenYinlin Chen

Applied Linked Data

This workshop focuses on the following hands on topics (getting it on here... list to be finalized by end of next week):

  • Setting up Linked Data Fragments against your Marmotta, Blazegraph, or in-memory system.
  • Implementing a Metadata Enrichment Interface for better functionality than auto-complete.
  • How to make your Linked Data harvestable to others.
  • Hosting your own controlled vocabulary similar to opaquenamespace.org or homosaurus.org

 

DevelopersWorkshopSteven AndersonSteven Anderson (potentially others from Applied Linked Data Working Group)

Managing Developers

I'm thinking of a session where managers can meet to discuss approaches to adopting agile methodologies, balancing Hydra with non-Hydra project needs, inspiring staff, training, recruiting techniques, etc. I imagine this session may happen when a lot of developer focused sessions are taking place and managers may feel out of place and could be an interesting place for managers to share their leadership styles/practices.

ManagersDiscussion GroupMichael Friscia?
Update from the Architecture Working Group

We don't know our outcomes yet, but since the group was capped at 10, it feels important that we report our progress to the wider community, as the "Gobstobber" stack continues to evolve.
Developers / AllPresentationJon StroopJon Stroop,
Michael J. Giarlo

Design patterns used in the Hydra code

Decorators, Presenters, Actors, Indexers, Jobs, Services, and use of concerns for multiple inheritance.  Participants will able to identify each pattern, see how its used in the code and learn what patterns they should use to customize Hydra.

DevelopersPresentation or WorkshopJustin Coyne 

Technical walkthrough of the Hydra in a Box hosted platform

In building a multitennant hosted repository we're facing many novel challenges. Join us as we discuss the problems we're facing and how we propose to solve them.  We'll provide a technical overview of our platform, how we're using Amazon cloud services, and how we've evolved Hydra and Fedora to use them effectively.

DevelopersPresentationJustin Coyne

Justin Coyne

Michael J. Giarlo

Erin Fahy

Chris Beer

Opaquenamespace - expanded from the virutual connect lightning talk. Git backend and triplestore-adapter implementations.DevelopersPresentation

Anna Headley

Josh Gum

OSU crew: Josh Gum, Linda Sato, Ryan Wick

Google Scholar Optimization

UAlberta has been struggling with getting our content indexed in Google Scholar since we moved to Sufia. However, inclusion in Scholar is absolutely critical to recruitment of content for our repository. We would love to have a discussion with others about how to improve Google Scholar indexing for Hydra repos - we can share strategies we've adopted, and would love to hear more about how others are solving this issue at their institution.

Managers, Developers, AllDiscussion (panel?)Sonya BetzSomeone from UAlberta crew to facilitate. Others who have succeeded or have questions re Scholar?

Sufia UI Working Group

Recap of the group's recommendations for the upcoming Sufia 7–thoughts on the diverse needs of the community and the result, what worked, what didn't work, how to approach it next time.

 

Managers, Developers, UX, StakeholdersPresentationMichael TriboneMichael Tribone and anyone from the group

Towards Easing the Maintenance of Hydra-based Solutions:
The Hydra-in-a-Box project team has been considering what it means to offer a Hydra product that is "easy to maintain". We can envision several scenarios that reflect differing degrees of maintainability. We wish to engage the community in a conversation that explores these scenarios and how the community can evolve and organize itself to advance the maintainability of our products, in the interest of increasing Hydra adoption and sustaining Hydra long-term, without curtailing the dynamic, vibrant nature of our codebase. 

Developers, Managers,
Service Providers

DiscussionHannah FrostErin Fahy
Michael J. Giarlo
Hannah Frost

How To Ansible

A hands-on introduction to using Ansible for building and maintaining infrastructure, with exercises and a guided tour of the ansible-hydra roles and playbooks.

Sysadmins, developersWorkshop (half-day)Erin FahyAlicia Cozine, co-presenter(s) TBD

Scoping & Managing Your Hydra Project

As a manager, one of the biggest challenges when starting any project (Hydra, or otherwise) is feeling comfortable that you’ve asked all the right questions before the first development hour is logged. But what are the right questions? And once you begin, how do you ensure that you, your developers and your stakeholders remain on the same page throughout the course of the engagement? This presentation will explore two processes that DCE employs to tackle these concerns. We’ll examine how a scoping phase consisting of a series of meetings carefully crafted to squash ambiguity and get to the nitty-gritty of your project’s needs can help start a traditional or agile project off with less uncertainty. We’ll also discuss how an Inception Deck can work to consolidate project expectations and fend-off wild assumptions, helping you to feel confident that when everyone says ‘circle,’ no one’s nodding and picturing a square.


Managers (All)45-minute presentationMark BusseyShanita John

DevOps Group Therapy

Share with other participants how your institution is supporting and deploying your Hydra applications. What are your wins and fails? What's new or innovative in your Hydra infrastructure? What challenges are you facing delivering your application to your users?

New Hydra adopters are invited to ask questions and learn from others.

Sysadmins, developers, managersDiscussionGlen HortonFacilitated by DevOps Interest Group?

The Hydra-Stack / PCDM Live Walkghrough

Using Sufia 7 as a reference model, what does the path for depositing a new item into a Hydra/PCDM based repository look like from an end-user, code, console, solr, and fedora perspective: show the upload of new digital content via the Sufia UI and show each step of the data flow in the Browser, rails console, and Fedora. Walk through derivative generation and show the various PCDM relationships being built at each stage. Then add a new user collection, and walk through the same flows as a work is added to a collection: what gems are in play, what does the data look like from a ruby developer perspective, what is persisted in Fedora and Solr - how does it all relate to PCDM?

Either a 45 minute demo/presentation OR a 2 hour hands-on workshop with attendees following along at each step.

All (but with a heavily technical focus)Demo or hands-on workshopMark BusseyMark Bussey

Monitoring Hydra

An overview of systems monitoring for Hydra servers, with nagios examples. All servers should be monitored for disk space, processes, ping times, and more - Hydra servers have additional needs. How (and why) to monitor Fedora, Solr, background jobs, etc. to maintain a healthy Hydra server.

Sysadmins, managersPresentationAlicia CozineErin Fahy and/or Alicia Cozine
  • No labels