Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

 11:00 AM EST at https://cornell.zoom.us/j/703126880

 Click for additional ways to connect...

Topic: Samvera Documentation WG
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://cornell.zoom.us/j/703126880

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll):  +14086380968,703126880# or +16465588656,703126880#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    Meeting ID: 703 126 880
    International numbers available: https://cornell.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=kETmSkQJwRw5MtUhdEDgGzCl7yPcJrhY

Or an H.323/SIP room system:
    H.323:
        162.255.37.11 (US West)
        162.255.36.11 (US East)
        221.122.88.195 (China)
        115.114.131.7 (India)
        213.19.144.110 (EMEA)
        202.177.207.158 (Australia)
        209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)
    Meeting ID: 703 126 880

    SIP: 703126880@zoomcrc.com

Or Skype for Business (Lync):
    https://cornell.zoom.us/skype/703126880



Facilitator: LaRita Robinson

Notetaker: To be decided

Attendees

Agenda / Notes:

  1. Roll call (please log in above)
  2. Review project board: https://github.com/projecthydra/projecthydra.github.io/projects/1
    1. Reporting on items completed since last meeting
    2. Review status of in-process tickets
    3. Discuss ready items & groom backlog
      1. Any new items needed?
      2. What should be moved to ready?
  3. Other agenda:
    1. Welcome, Ryan Steans!
      1. How can we use Ryan's time to get more resources for documentation?
      2. We have some infrastructure in place for tracking versioning, but it's not ideal. Could we improve the template to better handle versioning?
      3. Can we hire someone to write some documentation? What would that look like? (Discussion ensued.) 
      4. Could they co-locate and organize existing documentation?
      5. Better structure or layout for documentation? 
      6. Lots of enthusiasm for hiring someone who really knows jekyll 
      7. Could we hire someone to organize a documentation sprint?
      8. Could we get some training for people about writing documentation?
      9. Can we host a "Write the Docs" event? How about a virtual event where we:
        1. Identify top priorities
        2. Identify who has the knowledge
        3. Pair (or triple) them up with someone who can interview them and take notes – or maybe it's a webinar?
        4. Process those notes after into digestable docs
    2. Proposal:
      1. Let's announce an event – what does it look like?
      2. Outcomes: Actual documentation
    1. Potential uses for the financial support
      1. restructure jekyll theme especially for left hand menu structure, addressing versioning across multiple gems, generalized organization of the site
      2. moving existing documentation spread across all the wikis to move the documentation to the centralized samvera.github.io site
      3. writing documentation (this requires some expertise that may present an obstacle)
    2. Use of Ryan's time
      1. Organize short term focused documentation effort that can be used as a prototype for bi-annual documentation efforts
        1. Option 1: Webinar style with a primary interviewer but that anyone in the community can attend and ask questions (would need to be shorter for Webinar part and use followup meetings for clarification and document writing)
        2. Option 2: Paired developer - documentor virtual sprint – (perhaps 1-3 days in length)
      2. For both options,
        1. there needs to be a prioritization process of which docs to write that includes the general prioritization of the working group AND voting by the community
        2. determine the number of features/processes that we can document during this effort
        3. there needs to be an identification process of the developer expert for that area and an appropriate documentor to capture the knowledge in documentation
  4. Pick facilitator / notetaker for next time
    1. Notetaker is responsible to copy template agenda into a new agenda for next meeting and add any followup items immediately.

Notes:

  1. Discussion re: project board items
  2. Other discussion
  3. Facilitator & Notetaker for next meeting
    1. Facilitator: Bess Sadler
    2. Notetaker: Unknown User (rsteans@austin.utexas.edu)

Action items 

  • Ryan will set up a doodle poll for a followup meeting to solidify our plan.  Andrew, Bess, Jennifer, and Lynette want to attend that meeting.
  • Re-charter the working group, as the current charter has come to an end.




1 Comment

  1.  – Jen's rough notes --


    Completed Items? Jen something (how to submit a pr), Bess wrote a PR that got merged - for getting email notifications sending --


    bug in activating workflows, activating twice deactivates, Bess alerted Jeremy and wrote it up


    Tensions between consumers and producers of software, as consumers we do not always know how something is SUPPOSED to work, and so is it a bug?? This is what docs should solve -- versioning is a really big deal that needs to get sorted now


    Ryan Stearns new person -- partners meeting here's money for Ryan and tech writer from Evviva, go!


    Travis is a dev who wants to contribute to docs


    Ryan can spend 40% of his time on Samvera community - and Ryan can help out -- coordinate efforts and whoever we hire with this money. so what would we like to spend money on??


    Writing is a big thing  we agree


    what does workflow of a writer look like?


    maybe we need to train them on jekyll, maybe they can contribute markdown, maybe we can be tech editors


    maybe Jen could ask Addison-Pearson contacts for writers?


    a tech writer could easily start with collocating all the docs, and if we could find a jekyll person that would be great, and how to organize a structure that reflects the complexity of differing gems, jekyll right framework? strengths are markdown and pull request model


    money -- we need to bring them a menu of things with price tags -- so for example, someone who really knows jekyll, to collate, to tag things better, to navigate better


    biggest thing we need a writer to do is to ask if existing docs are up to date and how to update if them if not -- people in the community are best resource, so can we get money to those people? can we get community to do a first draft? people like Mike Giarlo and Justin are great for first drafts and then we try to use it and fill in details -- Lynnette did this, and then Justin reviewed her revised work on his first draft. Larita did this the other way, where she wrote something and then Justin reviewed it.


    So first draft and second draft codify practices around this? tell people all we need is the roughest draft from experts ...


    a docs fest proposal? YES -- interview an expert, get manager to pay for it, bill it as training, write it up, virtual one day thing, etc


    is there a nice way to prioritize tickets for blank pages??


    what are your ten pain points? is that for the community to answer or for us to put out there?


    goal of announcing an event, what shape will event take, is it a webinar, etc, do we have a new word for ongoing maintenance work, goal being a better product filled out github jekyll docs --- identify topics first, and then solicit experts and we need interviewers -- maybe we solicit questions from the community and aggregate them into what we will use?


    Benefit we could provide is coming up with the first questions, and then get them out there. Could we do  pilot? Maybe pick one or two burning questions and test out a format? Running in Production, for example, or permissions. We are becoming the experts on some things, as new as we may feel to them.