There are a number of things we need to consider to build a growing, stable, and sustainable Hydra community. Initial thoughts and action items from the Steering group should be documented below.
There are three broad areas we could focus on:
- Engaging New Community Members
- Sustaining the Existing Community Members and production adopters
- International Growth
As we explore ways to improve in each of these areas, here are some general guidelines to keep in mind:
- Make participation in the community easy, and minimize barriers to contributing back to the community
- Find ways to incorporate participation and contributions from non-developer skill sets
- What useful things could new community members bring to the table
- What minimum things should we ask of community members to bring to the table in order to participate
- Find ways to foster individualized and tailored solutions without depleting energy from the core community
- How do folks engage if they do not have dedicated developer teams
Community Growth Plan
- Near-Term Strategic Priorities
- Start measuring & counting (metrics) (Bess, Eddie, Tom)
- Engage key partners...
- Ask partners what being a partner means to them (Chris, Mike)
- more/updated "why chose hydra" testimonials
- produce a list of reasons to be a partners (e.g. legal) - see " Why Do Hydra? Why Grow Hydra?"
- ask partners to contribute more to community?
- solution packs
- technical writing (wiki, website, other documentation)
- Invest in knowledge of community management strategies (Mark, Bess, Richard, Johnathon)
- Training (Mark, Eddie, Bess, Tom) - inlcude partner list in discussion
- formulate a training strategy
- host a "train the trainer" event
- create body of community-owned training materials (use MediaShelf's?)
- Intentionality around Hydra-Camp, code4lib pre-sessions, other events intended to enabling folks to contribute to the community
- We need a customer relationship management system (CRM-like) (Chris, Tom, Johnathon)
- Review of documentation (Richard & Bess will review - talk to Naomi and Matt Z.)
- Need a sustain plan that engages partner input
- Rewrite getting started for Managers, for Developers, (Richard, Chris, Mark) and create FAQ page (Bess, Melinda)