Child pages
  • MODS and RDF Call: 2018-11-26
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time: 9 AM PDT / Noon EDT

Call-In Info:  712-775-7035 (Access Code: 960009)

Documents/Homework:

Moderator: Eben English

Notetaker: Eben English (Etherpad: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/MODS_and_RDF_Call__2018-11-26)

Attendees:

  • Eben English (BPL)
  • Julie Hardesty (Indiana)
  • Danny Pucci (BPL)

Agenda (with notes)

  1. Feedback Form Responses (no new entries as of 10/29)
    1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DRAzr3ExEAjK2RUs63gxcymoDwprQjVRPDsU_3dDGVU/edit?usp=sharing

  2. Email Responses (no new entries as of 10/29)
    1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/146uvvKt5ZVvWjm9WV28fWHgCP8fYQ_JXkc5GcMv98Wc/edit?usp=sharing

  3. Outstanding Comments on Recommendations document
    1. <mods:subject>
      1. MADS v. FAST
        1. Attempting to model using LC FAST structure would add excessive complexity
        2. The full pre-coordinated string is preserved in the mapping, so there is not a significant problem
        3. Eben will add further explanation to introductory paragraph, make sure examples are consistent DONE
      2. geographic subjects
        1. Structure suggested by comment would add additional complexity (need to mint Point or Box objects)
        2. DCMI Box and Point structures are outdated, not updated since 2006
        3. GeoJSON-LD vocab would be a good fit
        4. Predicates are defined loosely, can take strings as values
        5. Flexible enough to be used with boxes, points, shapes
        6. Eben will update examples DONE
    2. <mods:shelfLocator>
      1. Keep examples as is, suggested use of BF predicates would require minting additional bf:ShelfMark and bf:EnumerationAndChronology objects
      2. Eben will add footnote with explanation DONE
    3. review note types
      1. should we move notes as properties of the minted object they refer to? title, origination, etc.
        1. Consensus seems to be keep examples/mappings as is
        2. Use of skos:note on title object is specific to use case of needing machine-readable way of determining if brackets are needed for title display
        3. Eben will add clarification to explanatory material DONE

  4. MODS Editorial Committee comments
    1. Most of these have already been addressed
    2. Some would require very minor changes to intro materials; Eben will make these
    3. Eben will review and mark any outstanding issues in need to discussion in next meeting agenda

  5. Looking forward
    1. We are close to being able to update version to 1.0 and cut a PDF release
    2. What will be the plan moving forward?
      1. Report to Samvera Metadata Interest Group
      2. Possible quarterly meetings to address updates/changes?
      3. Need to keep track of opaque predicate requests, update as they become available
      4. Julie sent a message to Steering about need for Vocab Manager, will hopefully have some update by next meeting

  6. TODOs:
    1. Review MODS EC comments and mark any outstanding issues in need to discussion for next meeting agenda (Eben)
    2. Submit opaque predicates to URI WG

  7. Next meeting: Monday December 10
  • No labels