Child pages
  • MODS and RDF Call 2016-05-02
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time: 9am PDT / Noon EDT

Call-In Info: 712-775-7035 (Access Code: 960009)

Homework Reminder: 

Moderator: Steven Anderson (Boston Public Library)

Primary Notetaker: TBA (etherpad link: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/RDF-MODS-20160502)

Attendees:

Agenda:

  1. Introductions

  2. Conversion Code Update / Notes Testing 
    1. Curation Concerns code up and running at: http://mods2rdf.xyz/
      1. However, while the uploader (http://mods2rdf.xyz/uploads) works for title locally, it fails on the server. Still debugging that but should be up by the end of the day to see some limited conversion functionality.
    2. Steps for usage:
      1. Create an account on the site
      2. Go to http://mods2rdf.xyz/uploads and upload a MODS XML document.
      3. To view the end result, you can do a normal search (but currently on uses fields CurationConcerns knows about). Otherwise, to view in fedora, the credentials are:
        1. username: darthvader
        2. password: tapdancing
    3. Still working on testing performance of storing strings vs. minting objects
    4. Email Steven with any questions

  3. Concerns from recent Applied Linked Data discussion
    1. Using Fedora to store minted objects
      1. Some discussion of whether it might be "cleaner" or less complex to only store finished "records" in Fedora
      2. Use an additional triplestore (Blazegraph, Marmotta, Fuseki, etc.) to manage URIs for minted names, subjects, and other objects
      3. Could potentially improve performance?
      4. We should keep an eye on community best practices with this.
    2. Using a single predicate with both strings and URIs as objects
      1. Example: Dublin Core Elements subject (dc:subject)
      2. Lack of data homogeneity could cause problems for data consumers outside one's own institution
      3. No one on the call doing much work with other people's data, SPARQL endpoints, etc.
      4. We need more information on how big of a problem this is – sharing use cases not well understood
      5. Eben will send out email to Code4Lib and Hydra-Tech lists asking for comments

  4. Subject Element Mappings Continued
    1. Columbia updated modeling for name subjects
      1. class cul:Agent
      2. foaf:name for name value; skos:exactMatch linking to existing vocabularies
    2. Steven will attempt to create collaboration document for subjects based on what people have put forward so far
      1. We will discuss this at the next meeting

  5. Next element: <mods:classification>
    1. Everyone should work on this for next time.

  6. Next meeting: Monday, May 16th, 9:00 AM PST (12:00 PM EST)

 

 

 

  • No labels