Time: 9am PDT / Noon EDT
Call-In Info: 712-775-7035 (Access Code: 960009)
Identifier Individual Mappings: Identifier Individual Institution Usage And RDF Conversion
Moderator: Steven Anderson (Boston Public Library)
Primary Notetaker: Eben English (etherpad link: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/RDF-MODS-20160613)
- Steven Anderson (BPL)
- Eben English (BPL)
- Moira Downey (UNC-CH)
- Melanie Wacker (Columbia University)
- Eric O'Hanlon (Columbia)
- Danny Pucci (BPL)
- Sara Rubinow (NYPL)
- Shawn Averkamp (NYPL)
- Emily Porter (Emory)
- Simon O'Riordan (Emory)
- Conversion Code Update / Notes Testing
- Curation Concerns code up and running at: http://mods2rdf.xyz/
- Added supporrt for table of contents and notes (in addition to existing title, abstract, genre, and subject topics).
- Steps for usage:
- Create an account on the site
- Go to http://mods2rdf.xyz/uploads and upload a MODS XML document.
- To view the end result, you can do a normal search (but currently on uses fields CurationConcerns knows about). Otherwise, to view in fedora, the credentials are:
- username: darthvader
- password: tapdancing
- only U. of Alberta and Indiana have uploaded records so far
- Identifier Individual Mappings ( Identifier Individual Institution Usage And RDF Conversion)
- Using LofC standard identifier scheme (http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/identifiers.html)
- Has "local" identifier predicate
- Emory has some local identifiers in metadata that aren't standard
- Also using dc:identifier for "main" ARK identifier
- Using identifiers from many different namespaces, depending on identifier
- Using schema:url for identifiers which are URIs
- Adding string prefix "historic (invalid): " for invalid identifiers
- BIBFRAME Lite used, which allows string literals as values (unlike BIBFRAME) – is this vocabulary being maintained?
- Was developed by Zepheira
- dc:identifier for 'local-other' IDs
- Would be willing to change to LoC standard identifier scheme
- Accession number is problematic – nobody has a good solution for this
- Minting identifier objects
- Using bf:identifiedBy as predicate on main object; rdf:value for actual identifier string value
- local namespace/vocabulary "cul:"
- Planning on maintaining own vocabulary
- Minting identifier objects
- Using dc:identifier as predicate on main object
- Like minting as it provides consistent use of identifier predicate
- Will be maintaining own vocabulary of identifier classes (rather than predicates)
- Might consider using bf:identifiedBy instead of dc:identifier
- Very limited use of identifiers in metadata records
- Using dc:identifier
- Minting identifiers vs. using identifier-specific predicates
- Minting allows for greater flexibility for unique identifier types
- Minting increases complexity in managing data
- Most institutions are only using a handful of identifier types – is this worth minting?
- If minting, would we use BIBFRAME model for identifier objects?
- If minting, would we use dc:identifier or bf:identifiedBy as predicate on main object?
- MODS Location
- Should URLs be identifiers? Or are they locations?
- We will tackle <mods:location> at the next meeting
- Next meeting: Monday June 27, at 9:00 AM PST / Noon EST.