Child pages
  • Metadata Call 2015-08-26
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time: 10:00 am PDT / 1:00 pm EDT

Call-In Info: +1 (641) 715 3660, access code 651025  - Note New Number

Moderator:  Karen Estlund (Univ. of Oregon)

Notetaker:  Bill McMillin (Univ. of Cincinnati)

Attendees:

Agenda:

  1. Subgroup Reports
    1. Applied Linked Data Subgroup
    2. Rights Metadata Subgroup
    3. Descriptive Subgroup
  2. Issues / Questions
  3. Review Metadata WG Requests and Priorities
  4. Define goals and timeline for Structural Working Group
  5. Additional Items
  6. Action Items

Notes:

1. Subgroup Reports

a. Applied Linked Data Subgroup

Steven:

  • Notes from last meeting are Applied Linked Data Call 2015-08-20
  • Recent pull request merged
  • James is converting current codebase to a RoR engine
  • Trey is adding Active Triples persistence method
  • Hope to have a release by Hydra Connect

b. Rights Metadata Subgroup

Esmé:

  • A draft recommendation was sent out
  • All feedback received was positive
  • We can consider the recommendation official and the group's work is complete
  • At Hydra Connect we'll determine how this can be more accessible for the whole community
    • Could move it to GitHub

c. Descriptive Subgroup

Carolyn:

  • Survey went out last week
  • Currently 6 responses are in and a reminder will be sent out
  • The September 1 date may have to be adjusted
  • Some institutions may not know where to send the survey


2. Issues / Questions

a. MODS and RDF Descriptive Metadata Subgroup update
Steven:

  • Met on Monday ( MODS and RDF Call 2015-08-24) and survey went out to MODS group members
  • Continued talking about MODS title element, acceptance testing
    • decided title does not need to be separated out from subtitle
    • agreed to use dcterms:title and dcterms:alternative
  • By Sept 21 meeting during Hydra Connect group hopes to have example of how to map MODS title to either simple case or complex one
  • Next, group will show examples of MODS name element
    • what type of specificity is required
    • rough attempt at mapping to RDF
  • Rough timeline for getting through major elements? Hoping for end of year, but it may take 6 months or more for something more comprehensive

 

3. Review Metadata WG Requests and Priorities

Karen:

  • Recap: needed a central place for requests, so wiki page was created
  • Some items for Structural & Linked Data groups are going there as well
    • it may be better to add items in this location rather than subgroups to keep track of them

 

4. Define goals and timeline for Structural Working Group

Karen & Julie:

  • Focus on items the group has the ability to tackle now
  • Everything that is on requests page for Structural subgroup has been copied to subgroup page
  • If group is charged with PCDM, it might be a cleanup and organizational mission
  • It's unclear where suggestions for Hydra's PCDM implementation should be going
    • This will be discussed at Hydra Connect
  • Group can start to figure out what's a Fedora model and what's a Hydra model
  • Referring to segments of a file is within scope of this group
    • might be a good first item to look at
  • First meeting might be during Hydra Connect
  • Group can organize the models that are out there and talk about segments of a file as well
    • segments of a file is a high priority because other groups are not dealing with it as much
    • Avalon is looking at it, but as an option, not as a long-term solution
  • Recommendation for describing the relationships between variations (derivatives, thumbnails, etc)
    • using link relations has been generally adopted by people
    • should this be written up as a best practice? yes
      • there is something on GitHub that describes it
    • file use vocabulary is a complementary approach
    • should be written up as a formal and official version
  • Recommendation for interoperability with IIIF
    • a talk at Hydra Connect will cover IIIF
    • leave this on the agenda as a request until Hydra Connect
  • What is PCDM in terms of Fedora and in terms of Hydra?
    • can a line be drawn on both sides?
    • group could help to clarify this
  • For now, charge the subgroup with looking at the segment of a file
  • At Hydra Connect, we'll look at PCDM models and figure out what they are
    • after that, we'll need volunteers to write up relations as a recommendation
      • Is there a timeline for this? 
        • Avalon has an implementation using static XML
        • if we take it further and make it something Hydra or Fedora can understand, that will be a bigger task
        • start with 3 month timeline, but that's flexible
  • How to find a time slot at Hydra Connect?
    • Julie will add a Sessionizer

5. Additonal Items: none

6. Action Items

  • Julie will send email call for participants to Tech and Community lists, it will be forwarded to Islander
  • Esmé will close rights group & move recommendation to best practices

 

  • No labels