Child pages
  • Metadata Call 2017-03-28
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time: 3:00pm-4:00pm Eastern

Call-In Info: +1 (641) 715 3660, access code 651025 

Moderator: Ruth K Tillman and Julie Hardesty

Notetaker: John Huck

  • Attendees:

    • Charles Hosale (WGBH)

    • Alex May (Tufts), Margaret Peachy (Tufts), Adrienne Pruitt (Tufts)

    • John Huck (University of Alberta)

    • Danny Pucci (Boston Public Library)

    • Andy Weidner (University of Houston)

    • Ruth Tillman (University of Notre Dame)

    • Johanna Radding (Amherst College)

    • Kate Gerrity (Amherst College)

    • Maggie Dickson (Duke University)

    • Julie Hardesty (Indiana University)

    • Arwen Hutt (UCSD)

    • Ryan Johnson (UCSD)

    • Chris Mayo (Boston College)

    • Ryan Wick (Oregon State University / Oregon Digital)

    • Steven Villereal (University of Virginia)

    • Chrissy Rissmeyer (UCSB)

    • Julia Simic (UOregon)

    • Sarah Seymore (UOregon)

  • Subgroup Reports

    • MODS and RDF Descriptive Metadata Subgroup

      • Met recently, reviewed work, which is approaching completion.

      • 3-4 more meetings to finish collaboration documents

      • Facilitation is shared, due to departure of Steven Anderson from BPL

      • Conversion code (webform that produces Fedora object from MODS XML): status unclear at this point, but may need updating at the least.

    • URI Selection Working Group

      • Ryan Wick: WG just getting started. 4 people expressed interest. Others are welcome to join!  wiki page

      • URI Management group produced the tools that will provide the basis for this WG's work.

  • Issues/Questions

    • Nothing at this time.

  • Topics

    • Report from LDCX (Julie Hardesty)

      • LDCX is a Stanford conference on library technology (running 7-8 years)

      • It has become more Hydra focused over time, but not exclusively so.

      • Some sessions:

    • Documentation Wiki/Setup (Ruth Tillman) https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/hydra/Documentation+Project

      • Last time on the IG call, discussed the idea of a mechanism for collecting documentation for various aspects of Hydra metadata, including institutional documentation.

      • The wiki is a first attempt at implementing something like this.

      • Chrissy: shared definitions of things like column headings would help a lot. E.g., "these are the things that you might want to capture." Developing this could be a starting point for this initiative.

      • e.g., ways to describe/define cardinality.

      • Request for feedback from developers when changes to metadata will have an undue impact on function/code. How to develop common ways, language to describe these questions?

      • Look to DCE's example of developing documentation - https://github.com/no-reply/sufia-profile/blob/master/profile.md

        • Required indication (MUST, SHOULD, etc) is from the developer viewpoint, what will break the application/what won’t have any impact on the system

      • Metadata Documentation session at LDCX (non-technical documentation) - https://docs.google.com/document/d/17SIBbfUTkBWjKkpVTwjmjf2liHTbADnNdxD3FLRVgY0/edit

      • Models to look at listed at the end of the notes above, esp. contentDM model.

      • Comparison of different styles of documentation (e.g., devs)

      • Trying to document what comes out of the box for various platforms / hydra heads

      • MODS/RDF mappings can feed into this. A new installation could look at mappings, apply them as needed.

      • Distinguishing between required fields for the system vs. institutional requirements.

      • Fields that are universal across works vs. fields that apply to certain object types.

  • Informing from other Hydra IG/WG

    • Applied Linked Data

      • New leader from Chemical Heritage Foundation - Anna Headley

      • 2 sessions scheduled at LDCX

    • PCDM

      • Chris: Group didn't meet in March, but previously expressed their satisfaction at having the link to HMIG.

    • UX

    • Preservation/Archivists

      • Adrienne: Meeting soon and providing feedback on ArcLight mock-ups

    • Architecture

    • Geospatial/GIS

      • John: I am working on a draft of a charter for a new WG that would seek to offer recommendations for a few key geo predicates to supplement 'out of the box' predicates. The Geospatial IG will review this draft charter at its next meeting on April 20th.

    • Plugins: meeting notes from LDCX: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mC3aD8t3Rydz3ukTrQz0Q8wWiuq1UUeOLBpCDvVpweM/edit

  • Demos

  • No labels