Child pages
  • Metadata Call 2017-07-25
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time: 3:00pm-4:00pm Eastern

Call-In Info: +1 (641) 715 3660, access code 651025 

Moderator:  Julie Hardesty

Notetaker:  Irene E Taylor

Community Notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5LXReNsUPCLPKuFeIBlopVu81IiOnaGX_J0EYYk_mY/edit?usp=sharing

  • Attendees
  • Admin stuff - Proposal to change meeting from "Last Tuesday" to "4th Tuesday" for easier calendaring
    • Would mean change from 8/29 to 8/22

    • October meeting falls during DLF, so might be cancelled

    • WILL BE CHANGED to “4th Tuesday” of month--Julie will send out official announcement

  • Subgroup Reports
    • MODS and RDF Descriptive Metadata Subgroup
      • Still working through the review of the elements--getting down to the end, but more difficult, tricky ones.  Hopeful will be ending by end of summer, but may be tricky.  One overall spreadsheet with recommendations; also putting together white paper to explain process.  Available for review and strongly encourage feedback on them.

    • URI Selection Working Group
      • About to send out announcement--Ruth sent in a request for PromulgatingBody

      • Potential for new vocabulary manager - Ryan Wick will follow up with Karen Estlund after next Steering Group

  • Issues/Questions
  • Topics
    • Hyrax property for keyword (currently http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/relation
      • Try https://demo.hydrainabox.org/ to see this field in action
        • Can create repository and account and see field in form/add item and see it in relation to other fields.

          • Jen was going to look at--Northwestern mapping for local repository and keyword is for related items, not keyword; Hyrax not using for related, but as keyword.  Looked at predicate tree; only possible replacement found so far is schema.org--element of keyword and see if can get that proposal to Hyrax, but open to other suggestions.

            • Chrissy at UCSB is using schema.org as well, also for uncontrolled keywords supplied by creators

          • Would SMIG be willing to propose schema.org on github for Hyrax?

            • Uncertain there’s a specific issue yet on github--but willing to propose it

              • Potential difficulty--John been using Sufia, not Hyrax, but using combination of LCSH and more local fields

            • Subjects included in Out of the Box, but keywords not clearly defined; implementation may vary

        • Next steps--potentially talk to Mike Giarlo; propose to github--will happen

    • Samvera Connect metadata documentation session idea
      • Ruth and Julie have been discussing some sort of activity for MIG to get together and work on documentation project, but also just getting together as IG to work on general metadata documentation.  Potential different ways--gather documentation for different Samvera heads; but also how institutions put together documentation; Beth Sadler (Documentation Working Group) and potential connection there--mostly about establishing best practices--more on developer documentation, but is SMIG interested in doing some sort of activity at Samerva Connect in October?

        • Will put forth as a potential session (possibly with connection with other IG/WG)

          • Ruth & Julie will work on this and put for on SMIG wiki for review

      • Documentation Project - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/samvera/Documentation+Project

      • Also talking to Christina Harlow to discuss how/if it can be framed with larger documentation project--if SMIG can help improve documentation that can be out there for Hyrax.

        • Jen has found it difficult to find metadata documentation, so yes, it would be a good idea

        • Irene won’t be at Connect, but will try to gather documentation and put on wiki

    • SMIG Scope & Objectives
      • Ruth announced at Samvera Virtual Connect; some feedback already

      • Taken stab at a little bit of modification; what’s on wiki for SMIG is what’s been in there since it started--what’s on Google doc is suggestions for what we might want to have on future

      • Sunset milestone is possibly not good indicator; may want to set other guidelines--have review every so often.

        • Sunset date for WG was helpful--helped focus attention; even if just to trigger question of “do we still need this group?” was/can be helpful.

      • SMIG started out as WG and worked through various issues and then became something where people came to learn about metadata in Hydra/Fedora environment and more general interest group and been in that model for 1.5 yrs or so.  Moving into demos, etc. and trying to help with documentation, so seems sensible to continuing.  May switch away from more WG focus and more on introducing to Samvera metadata and documentation.

      • Goals listed--does this seem accurate with what we’re trying to do?

        • John--yes, looks good.

      • Julie thinks she can create action item--to ask for any review.  If we’re good with what’s listed (aside from sunset milestone).  Will be sent out with minutes and ask for feedback (potential deadline mid-August) and see if any further input, etc. on document.

        • If/when acceptable, can be updated on wiki by next August SMIG meeting

  • Informing from other IG/WG (new list!)
    • Newspapers IG
      • No report given
    • UX IG
      • No report given
    • Repository Management IG
      • No report given
    • Analytics WG
      • No report given
    • Data Mapper WG
      • Unclear on nature of group; no report given
    • Applied Linked Data IG
      • Chrissy--didn’t meet, so nothing to report
    • Documentation WG
      • No report given; Julie may join

    • Collections Extensions WG
      • No report given
    • ContentDM Migrations WG
      • No report given
    • Plugins WG
      • No report given
    • Geo Predicates WG
  • Demos
    • Samvera Models (DogBiscuits) demo update and schedule
      • Monday, August 28, 11am Eastern? next SMIG meeting? (will be recorded)
      • Julie H. got gem working; very excited about it

        • Potential gem to grab and put in Samvera for model in different types of works and fields

        • Different description needs for journal article vs. audiovisual item

        • Hasn’t created new model, but can show model that Julie A. put together--put into Hyrax model

      • Monday, August 28, 11am Eastern--very special (and separate) meeting time! (will be recorded using zoom)

      • Julie A. also putting together Samvera Connect presentation proposal--focus on new model (may need/seek input from SMIG as working through)

      • Julie H. particularly interested in how it might be used in Hyku where sites don’t have capacity to do model work on their own

    • Other demo ideas?
      • [crickets] But if thoughts/ideas occur to anyone, please send to Ruth or Julie; also put on slack metadata channel
  • Next Meeting: August 22--3pm EST
  • No labels