Scope & Objectives
In the light of the re-branding to Samvera in 2017 and also in the context of Samvera governance development a Samvera Marketing Working Group is proposed to focus on how Samvera as we would like it to be is communicated and marketed to the different audiences we work with and who we would like to reach. Samvera has a new logo, a new website, a well-populated wiki, and established github site providing information and code. The aim of this Working Group will be to build on these foundations to:
- Identify the key marketing messages Samvera needs to put out to different audiences
- Identify the channels that can be used to communicate about Samvera, e.g., discussion lists, commercial partners, professional bodies, etc.
- Create a suite of suitable marketing materials for use at conferences ("stuff") and within institutions. This might includes core slides that can be used in presentations, flyers, banners, etc.
- Develop guidelines for ongoing development of Samvera's web presence and ensure consistency of presentation
- Understand the sectors that Samvera might look to engage with to help differentiate the marketing required for these, e.g., libraries, museums, media organisations, university presses, grant funders, etc.
There may also be a link into the future fundraising that Samvera will be undertaking and the marketing messages that need to be associated with this (to be determined, dependent on timetable and focus of attention for this process).
The following are downloadable and can be used/printed as required for distribution. They are distributed under a CC-BY 4.0 licence.
- Samvera leaflet - US letter
- Samvera leaflet - A4
- Samvera Powerpoint slide template
- Samvera Google slides template
Deliverables & Timeframe
To develop a set of marketing materials and information to use at Samvera Connect 2018 and for others to use at conferences and within institutions from the 2018-19 academic session onward.
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
To be decided once the Working Group is confirmed. It is anticipated that the pattern of arranging a regular call in a slot that suits the members will be followed.
Subsequent meetings to be held on:
Monday June 4th, 11:30 EDT
Wednesday June 20th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday June 27th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday July 18th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday August 1st, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday August 15th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday August 29th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday September 12th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday September 26th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
Wednesday December 12th, 11:30 EDT - Agenda
To join the Meeting:
To join via Room System:
Video Conferencing System: bjn.vc -or-220.127.116.11
Meeting ID : 836822712
To join via phone :
+1.408.740.7256 (United States)
+1.888.240.2560 (US Toll Free)
+1.408.317.9253 (Alternate number)
(see all numbers - http://bluejeans.com/numbers)
2) Enter Conference ID : 836822712
The members listed below are those who expressed an initial interest in this Working Group at the Partners Meeting At Northwestern University in November 2017. Please add your name to this list if you are interested in participating in this discussion. Those with experience of marketing, communications and related promotion of repository and/or other related technical services are especially welcome.
Chris Awre, facilitator (University of Hull)
Karen Cariani (WGBH)
Ryan Steans (Northwestern University)
Richard Green (University of Hull)
Alicia Morris (Tufts University)
Charlotte Nunes (Lafayette College)
Steph Taylor (CoSector)
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/marketing-open-source-project/ - a link to a general summary of marketing in an open source context. Please add other resources that cover options we could consider.
18-05-22 - Notes from initial meeting
18-06-04 - Meeting not held
18-06-20 - Notes
18-06-27 - Notes and actions for next meeting
18-07-18 - See agenda for notes
18-08-01 - See agenda for notes
18-08-15 - See agenda for notes
18-08-29 - See agenda for notes
18-09-12 - See agenda for notes
18-09-26 - See agenda for notes