CTime: 9:00am PDT / Noon EDT
Call-In Info: 1-641-715-3660, access code 651025
Moderator: Steven Ng
Notetaker: Julie Allinson
- Julie Allinson (University of London)
- Josh Gum (Oregon State)
- Hui Zhang (Oregon State)
- LaRita Robinson (Notre Dame)
- Michael J. Giarlo (Stanford)
- Lynette Rayle (Cornell)
- Glen Horton (Cincinnati)
- Jim Coble (Duke)
- Carolyn Cole (PSU)
- Collin Brittle (Emory)
- Chris Colvard (Indiana University)
- Peter Binkley (U of Alberta)
- Justin Coyne (Stanford)
- Jennifer Lindner (DCE)
- Anna Headley (CHF)
- Steven Ng (Temple)
Roll call by timezone per following order - ensure notetaker is present (moderator)
folks outside North and South America
folks who were missed or who dialed in during roll call
- Welcome all newcomers!
- Agenda (moderator)
- Call for other agenda items (moderator)
- How to handle FITS conflicts (Anna Headley)
- Hyrax/Sufia/CC callback usage, related to https://github.com/samvera/hyrax/issues/1239 (Michael J. Giarlo)
- Can we sort out our Technical Debt? The complexities introduced by solr/fedora/activeFedora? How? If we solved our architecture complexity problems, would we still have the same levels of debt? How much debt is in the architecture, and how much is in the process? Would paid QA engineers, dedicated portions of sprints, meetings to take on high-level analysis get us started getting sorted? (Jennifer Lindner)
- Collection Extensions development sprints starting Aug 7. Links of interest: Sign up form | Full Project | Sprints (Lynette Rayle)
- Moderator/notetaker for next time (moderator)
- After call, this week's notetaker should create the agenda for the next call.
2b FITS conflicts
Problem: For TIFFs with embedded thumbnail layers FITS extracts multiple width and height and they are stored but no way to tell which height goes with which width (see the the ticket)
Proposal: store only the max values
Is this a problem with FITS? No, although not ideal, it's intended behaviour from FITS, it's the way HW adds them that causes this specific issue
Carolyn Cole - FITS conflicts on mime types quite often, in Scholarsphere they would take the first value but things may have moved on now; FITS can be configured to use only specific tools to avoid conflict, but that requires knowledge of what you are doing
Agreed run past samvera-tech and then do it if no one objects there.
2c Hyrax/Sufia/CC callback usage
Problem: Bug where a callback was being executed as soon as the job starts and before the job could realistically complete - callbacks pre-date ActiveJob, and they are often tied to jobs
Proposal: now we use ActiveJob, use the richer hooks of ActiveJob rather than callbacks
Is anyone using callbacks downstream of Hyrax? eg. actor_update_content, actor_create_curation_concern
Conclusion: We need a mechanism to make updates after a job fires but that doesn't have to be callbacks
Agreed: Mike will send to samvera-tech, but maybe not right now (depending on how keen Joe is to get on with this)
2d Can we sort out our Technical Debt?
Whose job is it to be taking care of the bigger questions re quality?
- Taking overall architecture decisions
- Roles for people doing quality engineering - grant funding?
- Improvements in way work is split up, eg. documentation - assigning issues for documentation in very small chunks, eg. what does this feature do? how does it work?
Carolyn Cole - it's a real issue; not enough QA being done
Lynette Rayle - would like to see more 'what happens when' type documents - help devs understand where things are happening and where to make changes
Agreed to add to next week's agenda
2e Collections Extensions
Dates for the sprints are set - staring 7th August:
Email Lynette Rayle with questions