How to connect: https://psu.zoom.us/j/613720745 (link will launch Zoom client – if you do not have Zoom, expand the instructions below)
Meeting ID: 613 720 745
+1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)
+1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
+1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
International numbers available: https://psu.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=UZ_PRwQ56TNX1pDIsdDInAu8XPVqzlX3
Meeting ID: 613 720 745
188.8.131.52 (US West)
184.108.40.206 (US East)
220.127.116.11 (Hong Kong)
Time: 9:00am PDT / Noon EDT
Moderator: Tom Johnson
Notetaker: James R. Griffin III
- Collin Brittle (Emory)
- Gordon Leacock (University of Michigan)
- Jose Blanco (University of Michigan)
- Chris Colvard (Indiana University)
- LaRita Robinson (Notre Dame)
- Julie Allinson(CoSector - University of London)
- Jim Coble (Duke)
- Tom Johnson (DCE)
- James R. Griffin III (Princeton University Library)
Roll call by timezone per following order - ensure notetaker is present (moderator)
folks outside North and South America
folks who were missed or who dialed in during roll call
- Remind everyone to sign in on agenda.
- Welcome all newcomers!
- Agenda (moderator)
- Moderator & notetaker for next time
- After call, this week's notetaker should create the agenda for the next call:
Open template agenda titled "Samvera Tech Call 2018-xx-xx"
- Click on ... in the top right corner, and select copy.
- Popup will open for location. It should contain:
- Space: Samvera
- Parent page: 2018
- Select copy. New page should be created.
- Modify the title to remove "copy of", update it with the next date, add moderator, notetaker, and any carry-over agenda info. Click Publish.
Blacklight Access Controls (Colvard)
- Johnson raised this issue within hydra-head (https://github.com/samvera/hydra-head)
- Depends on blacklight-access-controls (https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight-access_controls)
- Split out from hydra-access-controls (https://github.com/samvera/hydra-head/tree/master/hydra-access-controls)
- Used to have similar read/discovery access controls
- Within the Blacklight context, this Gem hasn’t had activity since January
- Not under Samvera, hence it cannot be considered a Core Component
- It is sitting with some breaking changes in the master branch
- How to we insulate ourselves from potential changes in that Gem?
- How do we ensure stability in hydra-head?
- Perhaps we can fold it into samvera-labs?
- Does this fit into the scope of the permissioning WG? (Samvera Permissioning Analysis and Design Working Group)
- LaRita Robinson
- It should be, but Blacklight hasn't been explored too thoroughly
- The WG just undertook requirements gathering
- The intent would be to have the permissioning work would feed through a single interface
- There should be one source to manage the permissions within the Samvera application stack
- Does not depend upon the release candidate for blacklight-access-controls
- Perhaps we should wait to take action until the Permissioning WG proceeds with their work
- Is Blacklight a core component?
- No, Blacklight itself has maintainers outside of the community and its own governance structure
- Arguably, this should also be the case for blacklight-access-controls, but it is not receiving any maintenance
- Does the Samvera community need to own it under the Blacklight GitHub organization?
- Can we try and ensure that hydra-head is maintained without duplicating work between communities?
- Try and keep track of information, but permissions management is likely going to require some significant changes
- Maintenance should still be addressed, but the simplest changes should be the goal
- Ultimately the access controls for hydra should ultimately be deprecated
- If actions are taken, updates will be discussed on the samvera-tech mailing list
Moderator and Notetaker
- Moderator for Next Meeting
- (Not going to be held next week due to Samvera Connect, but for 10/17/18)
- LaRita Robinson shall serve as the moderator
- Julie Allinson will serve as the notetaker
Call concluded at 12:22EDT