Child pages
  • Samvera Tech Call 2019-03-13
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

How to connect: https://psu.zoom.us/j/613720745 (link will launch Zoom client – if you do not have Zoom, expand the instructions below)

 Click to view telephone/H.323/SIP connection instructions

Telephone:

Meeting ID: 613 720 745

+1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)
+1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
+1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
International numbers available: https://psu.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=UZ_PRwQ56TNX1pDIsdDInAu8XPVqzlX3

H.323:

Meeting ID: 613 720 745

162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
221.122.88.195 (China)
115.114.131.7 (India)
213.19.144.110 (EMEA)
202.177.207.158 (Australia)
209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada)

SIP: 613720745@zoomcrc.com

Time: 9:00am PDT / Noon EDT

Moderator: Carolyn Cole

Notetaker: James R. Griffin III

Attendees:


Agenda

  1. Roll call by timezone per following order - ensure notetaker is present (moderator)

    1. folks outside North and South America

    2. Eastern timezone

    3. Central timezone

    4. Mountain timezone

    5. Pacific timezone

    6. folks who were missed or who dialed in during roll call

    7. Remind everyone to sign in on agenda.
    8. Welcome all newcomers!
  2. Agenda (moderator)
    1. Call for new agenda items (moderator)
    2. https://github.com/pulibrary/pul_uv_rails and Samvera Community support for Universal Viewer integration (James R. Griffin III)
    3. hydra-editor Release Versioning (4.0.3 or 5.0.0): https://github.com/samvera/hydra-editor/pull/163 (James R. Griffin III)
    4. Hyrax: Drop Travis CI in favor of Circle? (Tom Johnson)
      1. Circle is faster and more reliable; travis is failing in general these days (unmaintained)
      2. What changes to our circle configuration are required to drop travis?
      3. Other concerns?
    5. browse-everything (James R. Griffin III)
      1. Concerns over maintenance and release have been raised
      2. James would like to issue a call for participation on the Samvera Tech. mailing list
      3. Might an Interest Group or Working Group be warranted if this, as a dependency, blocks Hyrax releases?
    6. QA 4.0.0 released (Lynette Rayle )  - release notes
  3. Moderator & notetaker for next time
    1. Moderator:
    2. Notetaker:
  4. After call, this week's notetaker should create the agenda for the next call:
    1. Open template agenda titled "Samvera Tech Call 2019-xx-xx"

    2. Click on ... in the top right corner, and select copy.
    3. Popup will open for location. It should contain: 
      1. Space: Samvera
      2. Parent page: 2019
    4. Select copy. New page should be created.
    5. Modify the title to remove "copy of", update it with the next date, add moderator, notetaker, and any carry-over agenda info. Click Publish.
  5. PR Review
    1. Review issues:
    2. PR review coordinator for next time: 

Notes

pul_uv_rails (James)

  • Princeton has maintained a Gem which integrates the Universal Viewer into a Rails application
  • This includes a pre-built installation of the Universal Viewer forked by PUL and build with a custom theme
  • As this fork relies upon 2.x releases of the UV (which are quite old), Princeton has since moved beyond this approach and will soon be deprecating this Gem
  • James will send out a note to the tech. list, but what other steps are necessary to assist those in the community who might still be using this?
  • Tom: For Hyrax, there has been work done to make it easier to swap out viewers
  • It should be easier to install a viewer using Yarn, removing this should be addressed soon
  • Just document a procedure for installing Universal Viewer before 4.x
  • DCE likely has some mechanism for installing the UV using Yarn
  • We should request for assistance from community adopters who can document how best to integrate the UV for Hyrax implementations
  • Valerie: Jamie Little is using Yarn to install the UV into the public directory (rather than the assets) directory
  • Esmé: Princeton is already doing this (in public)
  • Carolyn: It would also be best to provide instructions in this community e-mail for assisting with the migration away from using this Gem
  • Tom: Proposes that a final release be issued for pul_uv_rails which includes a deprecation notice for this Gem
  • James: PUL should be able to address this
  • In summary the following need to be addressed:
    • Setting up documentation for migrating away from this Gem
    • Sending an e-mail to the community announcing this change
    • Creating a new release for pul_uv_rails with the added deprecation warnings (linking to the aforementioned documentation)
  • Princeton can address the latter two easily
  • DCE: Documenting how to use UV can be explored may be possible to undertake, just need to be certain that they are available to provide this
  • Tom: A follow-up can be issued asynchronously for seeing how the documentation can be addressed
  • UCLA is using this solution also, they might be available to assist


hydra-editor (James)

  • There is a pull request for the release of a new version of hydra-editor with Rails 5.2 support
  • This was necessary given that previous releases bring in earlier Rails releases as dependencies
  • There were updates for active-fedora which required that test suites be updated to handle new changes
  • This also offers test suites which rely upon simpleform 4.x releases (markup changes in these)
  • James assumed that, given that nothing is changing in the Gem itself, this warrants only a patch release
  • Is this valid, or should this be a higher release version number?
  • Tom: What is the upgrade process for this in Hyrax?
  • If it's just pinning this to the latest release of simple_form and updating the "hydra-editor" Gem it should not warrant a new major release
  • Tom: Will try by just updating this with a simple `bundle update`
  • Chris: Note that this is the last piece for Rails 5.2 support


CircleCI and Dropping Travis CI (Tom)

  • Tom: Hyrax has been using CircleCI for months, and it has proven to have been stable and faster than Travis CI for continuous integration
  • Currently work is being undertaken to extend the build matrix for testing
  • Currently tests are running concurrently using 2 Docker containers
  • Tom needs to discuss with Samvera Partners in order to look to scale out to as many as 16 parallel builds
  • With four times the concurrency, this will increase the speed of the tests run against builds
  • Note that we've already removed requirement for Travis CI tests on GitHub for merging pull requests
  • This proposal is now to just drop them outright
  • Justin Coyne expressed concerned about testing against the full matrix of Ruby and Rails releases
  • Ruby 2.6 and 2.5 are currently used on CircleCI
  • We'll want to add a Rails 5.2 build to the process
  • Is there anything that we need to do to make it acceptable for us to drop the Travis build?
  • Do we need to test any specific Ruby or Rails releases before this is dropped?
  • Note that CircleCI is using the Hyrax Generator
  • The build stage performs the engine_cart process
  • This is cached and used across the Ruby builds
  • When we add support for Rails 5.2, we'll want a second build stage which runs this again (or, ideally, in parallel)
  • Tom: Issued a final call for any input
  • Michael: Fully supported the switch to CircleCI
  • No objections were voiced, so Tom shall proceed with dropping support the requirement for passing tests on Travis CI


browse-everything (James)

  • Michael has been actively maintaining and developing browse-everything as community component
  • During last evening, release 1.0.0 was issued
  • However, concerns have been voiced regarding ongoing maintenance and improvements for this Gem
  • Labor is needed to continue to browse-everything, and the resources provided by the Core Component Maintenance WG is simply not appropriate for all of this work
  • James will start by e-mailing a message to the tech. list calling for additional participation, but might look to start a new Working Group depending upon how best to proceed
  • Lynette: Recommended that referencing the IG/WG documentation on the Samvera Wiki when drafting the e-mail is best
  • Notes that Interest Groups are typically established to enable ongoing conversations
  • Working Groups have a contract with target outputs, and dedicated time periods for all participants involved in achieving objectives
  • Carolyn: Note that Interest Groups often spawn Working Groups, but this isn't a necessity or required
  • James will e-mail the community tech. list and follow this approach


QA 4.0.0 Released (Lynette)

  • Lynette: Does anyone have questions regarding the latest release of https://github.com/samvera/questioning_authority?
  • This release involved a major refactor of the LinkedData Module
  • Also, now this Gem obtains, parses, and renders linked data context to be propagated on the UI (to assist with users selecting controlled terms)
  • The README used to hold all of the documentation for QA, and this has been migrated to the Wiki
  • For those who have developed modules for QA, please create documentation following the practices established in this new release


Next Call

Moderator: Tom

Notetaker: James


Hyrax Pull Request Review

Chris and Tom are not available for this week

(This was not held)


The call was concluded at 09:30 EST/12:30 EST


  • No labels