This group has been retired due to lack of activity.
Scope & Objectives
The Time-Based Media Interest Group is a forum for discussing management, access and preservation of audio and video repository content, particularly in Samvera-based systems.
Topics of interest may include:
metadata (such as PBCore, RDF and PCDM)
file management practices (formats, transcoding, workflows, preservation)
digital preservation practices
interoperability issues (standards similar to IIIF, between applications such as Avalon/Sufia/HydraDAM)
media related technologies (players, streaming servers, applications such as Avalon, HydraDAM)
access challenges and opportunities (LTI, adaptive streaming, access control, discovery)
tools for teaching and scholarship (transcripts, analysis, annotation)
Potential group activities:
liaising with, and promoting Hydra in, other media-oriented communities (such as AMIA, IASA)
ensuring that Hydra solutions meet the needs of media collection management
identifying best practices for media management
surveying the media landscape and needs of the Hydra community
- provide input on development roadmaps for media-related Hydra Projects (Avalon, HydraDAM2, etc)
Meeting Times and Communication Channels
Time/Date: Usually the last Thursday of the month at 1pm ET.
We use the firstname.lastname@example.org channel for cross-community communications. The subject line of a message posted to this channel shall be preceded by "T-MIG" in square brackets.
If and when a dedicated channel is needed, the new channel should be well publicized and open to any interested subscribers/participants in the community.
If you wish to receive invites to monthly calls, please add your name below:
Julie Rudder, Northwestern University Mark Notess, Indiana University
William Cowan, Indiana University
Steven Villereal, University of Virginia
Hannah Frost, Stanford University
Karen Cariani, WGBH
Brian E. Davis, Oregon State University
Umar Qasim, University of Alberta
Justin Simpson, Artefactual Systems
Charles Hosale, WGBH
- Initial meeting - April 30th
- May 28th, 2015 IU's plans for Avalon and HydraDAMS2
- July 30th, 2015 - A+V and the PCDM - guests Julie Hardesty and Drew Myers
- Time-based Media Interest Group meet-up - TMIG meet-up at Hydra Connect
- See also Oral Histories in Hydra: Use Cases
- October 29, 2015 Hangout
- 2015-11-21 AMIA '15 face-to-face face-to-face at Association of Moving Image Archivists conference
- 2016-02-03 @ 1300 EST — Meeting notes – technical metadata planning
- March 2, 2016 – review technical metadata suggestions