Draft Scope & Objectives
The initial set of tasks defined for the Technical Metadata Working Group are complete. If additional deliverables and/or technical metadata issues need to be addressed, please contact the Samvera Metadata Interest Group.
This group is interested in working together on recommendations for extracting and representing technical metadata and is a subgroup of the Samvera Metadata Interest Group.
The initial goals of the group are:
- Technical Metadata Application Profile
- FITS recommendation, if using FITS, to use FITS output captured as a NonRdfSource repository object; see "Detailed Technical Metadata Captured as XML"
in Technical Metadata Application Profile
- Recommended tools for technical metadata and paths for integration with Hydra projects; See "Tools" below.
Meeting Times and Communication Channels
Through April, 2015: Tuesdays at 11:30am EDT / 8:30am PDT. Other meetings, as needed.
Via Google Hangout: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/cpt6do5qc6l6mt4g853rqolk5tk
Draft Deliverables & Timeframe
Recommendation delivered to Hydra community before the start of May 2015 community PCDM sprint
Draft Application Profile
There are a couple categories of tools to consider:
- file http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?file
- FIDO http://openpreservation.org/technology/products/fido/
- siegfried http://www.itforarchivists.com/siegfried
- DROID https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/manage-information/policy-process/digital-continuity/file-profiling-tool-droid/
exiftool images http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
- mediainfo audio/video https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
- ffprobe (part of ffmpeg) audio/video https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffprobe.html
- fiwalk (part of sleuthkit) disk images http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Fiwalk
- TIKA https://tika.apache.org/
FITS (includes several of the above tools as components) http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/fits
- dcterms: http://purl.org/dc/terms/
- premis (http://id.loc.gov/ontologies/premis.html) (A new version related to PREMIS version 3 is on the way)
- exif: http://www.kanzaki.com/ns/exif
- pronom (http://test.linkeddatapronom.nationalarchives.gov.uk/vocabulary/pronom-vocabulary.htm)
- nfo (http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/2007/03/22/nfo/)
- ebucore ( http://www.ebu.ch/metadata/ontologies/ebucore/ebucore# )
a possible draft in sheet 2 of this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/a/artefactual.com/spreadsheets/d/1Maz_swRR9NtsGVNGPPCnsMmjbjfI3VXx1kFAsC1OedE/edit#gid=478256032
Members agree that by participating all documents produced as part of the working group will be released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 Unported License.
- Aaron Coburn, facilitator (Amherst College)
- Nick Ruest, facilitator (York University)
- Sharon Farnel (Univ. of Alberta)
- Julie Hardesty (Indiana University)
- Corey Harper (New York University)
- Tom Johnson (DPLA)
- Mark Matienzo (DPLA)
- Justin Simpson (Artefactual Systems)
- Jon Stroop (Princeton University)
- Draft Tech Metadata Base line
- Shared Data Model Draft: Portland Common Data Model
- LDP-PCDM-F4 In Action
- Technical Metadata Call 2015-04-15
- Technical Metadata Call 2015-04-21
- Technical Metadata Call 2015-04-28