- DSpace allows you to batch upload content + metadata in a specific Zip package format that DSpace calls the Simple Archive Format.
- How-to: Create an upload package
- Details about the Simple Archive Format (SAF) are provided in the DSpace documentation at Importing and Exporting Items via Simple Archive Format
- An SAFBuilder is also available which can transform spreadsheets (Excel or CSV) into valid Simple Archive Format (SAF) packages: https://github.com/DSpace-Labs/SAFBuilder
SAFBuilder is a commandline tool, and as such, it requires a few prerequisites to run. These are all listed in the SAFBuilder instructions at: https://github.com/DSpace-Labs/SAFBuilder/blob/master/README.md
1) Install Java JDK (version 7 or 8). Here's the Java 8 JDK (download a Windows version and install): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
2) Maven should also be installed. https://maven.apache.org/download.cgi Good guide for installing on Windows at https://www.mkyong.com/maven/how-to-install-maven-in-windows/
3) Git is optional. You can use it to download SAFBuilder (or just download the Zip of it, as I show below)
After the above are installed, just download SAFBuilder to any directory, this "installs" it.
- How-to: Upload the SAF package to DSpace
- Keep in mind that large packages (over several GB in size) may prove difficult to upload via the web. They may timeout during upload or processing. Therefore, with DSpaceDirect, you may wish to consider creating several separate upload packages (and upload them individually) if you have a larger set of content to upload
- Step by step upload instructions are available in the DSpace documentation at UI Batch Import (XMLUI). (Note: All DSpaceDirect sites use the DSpace XMLUI user interface)
- Tips and Common Questions:
- For any columns that require multiple values (including the filename column), separate the multiple values using a double pipe ||
- DSpace generates thumbnails for the following formats only: BMP, GIF, JPG, JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, and PDF. Thumbnails are auto-generated via an overnight process. So, they will not appear until the next day.
Individual Item Permission Changes