facilitator: Steven Folsom
- Requires a mix of automated and manual methods
- Need tools to do this, e.g. present user with automated matches and allow them to make changes (this could then be used to tune the algorithm)
- There's a potential to open this up to communities beyond library professionals (crowd-sourcing/niche-sourcing)
DPLA: placename resolution
- use entire record as context for resolution
- points vs. shapes in geo entity resolution
- crowdsourcing opportunity?
- OCLC - several passes through data, information from multiple sources (ISNI, VIAF, etc.)
- need public feedback for last 20%
- refine algorithms based on crowdsourcing feedback
- machine transformation and confidence rating – mark that is machine-generated, with date
strings --> things
- need string info in perpetuity
- accuracy, testability of ambiguity
- places ... think maps ...
- dates ... map interface
what if we had no metadata and started only with full text?
- solutions – would be awesome
UCSD – mix of auto & manual review