- the e-mail subscription feature that alerts users of new items being deposited;
- the 'media filter' tool, that generates thumbnails of images and extracts the full-text of documents for indexing;
- the 'checksum checker' that tests the bitstreams in your repository for corruption;
- the sitemap generator, which enhances the ability of major search engines to index your content and make it findable;
- the curation system queueing feature, which allows administrators to "queue" tasks (to run at a later time) from the Admin UI;
- the Discovery (search & browse), OAI-PMH and Usage Statistics all receive performance benefits from regular re-optimization
- and the registration of DOIs using DataCite as registration agency.
There are some optional periodic tasks as well:
- Updating the geolocation database used to enrich usage statistics. At this writing, the database publisher issues monthly updates.