Version number of the DSpace-CRIS platform refers to the DSpace version against which it is built. Support of all DSpace versions accepted by the Community is provided. The new functionalities are currently developed for DSpace-CRIS 5.x and DSpace-CRIS 6.x.
The first open source release of DSpace-CRIS was based on DSpace 1.8.2. Current release is DSpace-CRIS based on DSpace 5.57 and DSpace 6.1, DSpace-CRIS on DSpace 4.3 and DSpace 3.2 are still also available. DSpace-CRIS 6 is about to be released.
Below is a detailed release plan that covers all the known features that will be contributed by 4Science or other community members that would like to be involved in projects supporting the enhancement of this open-source extension
- Upgrade to the ORCID v2 API
- Depending on results from specific projects (not yet confirmed)
- Exposure of CRIS entities in CERIF XML over OAI-PMH (OpenAIRE profile)
- Harvesting of CRIS entities via the CERIF XML OpenAIRE profile over OAI-PMH
End of 2017
- Work on REST webservice toward DSpace-CRIS 7 (Angularjs2 based), test site for DSpace 7 REST API already available at http://dspace7.4science.it/)
(deadline TBD - looking for interested partners)
- ADS / DBLP publication import and feeds
- CERIF compliance test / REST API
5.7 (released on August 8th, 2017)
- Hierarchy metadata support for DSpace items (new addition from the RC): It is now possible to configure one or more metadata as child of another one. If the parent metadata is repeatable, adding an additional value for the parent metadata will allow to input values also for the linked child metadata. Currently only text-based (onebox) metadata can be used as child metadata but support for the other input types will be added in subsequent minor releases.
- Signposting support: DSpace-CRIS is more machine friendly than never. It supports now the following signposting patterns: Author, Identifier, Publication Boundary
- The CORE Recommender Engine integration: Display documents that are semantically similar. Powered by CORE https://core.ac.uk/. You can take a look at our example here: https://dspace-cris.4science.it/handle/123456789/102
- Authority Lookup based on Getty Vocabularies: For more information about Getty Vocabularies please check https://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/index.html; DSpace-CRIS implementation involves both the "Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names Online" (https://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/tgn/index.html) and "The Union List of Artist Names" (ULAN - https://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/ulan/index.html)
- Authority Lookup based on Viaf service: The VIAF® (Virtual International Authority File) combines multiple name authority files into a single OCLC-hosted name authority service. More info at https://viaf.org/
- Import ORCiD publications via Submission Data Loader: During the submission process, users can choose an ORCiD and check which publications to import
- Cookies Policy Popup: This feature allows easy compliance with the EU legislation on cookies
- Other minor improvements: It is now possible to clean Solr statistics entries via WebUI; to upgrade Hibernate and Spring to the minor versions; we have improved the automatic calculation of derived metrics and the creation of CRIS objects as part of the submission process
- Other minor fixes: the out-of-box DSpace OAI Harvesting in DSpace-CRIS; the DSpace-CRIS SOAP web-services; the DSpace-CRIS Network when users try to show many graphs
6 RC / 5.7 RC (released on June 27th, 2017) - see the full announcement here: http://duraspace.org/articles/3236
5.6 (released on November 16th, 2016 - click here to browse the code on github) / include the release of DSpace-CKAN integration module
The release includes the security fixes already available in DSpace JSPUI 5.6, making it easier to upgrade from a recent DSpace version to DSpace-CRIS (no more need to run sql scripts manually) and brings a lot of new and exciting features:
- UI Extendibility: the webapp can now use the servlet 3.0 specification, enabling the creation and plug-in of external modules with their specific web UI components and pages. An extension point has been introduced to plugin viewers dedicated to particular bitstreams.
- Edit metadata for any DSpace Object via the UI: it is now possible to edit/add/remove metadata for Communities, Collections, Bundles and Bitstreams, to simplify the management of further functionalities based on custom metadata.
- Edit archived Items with UI submission: administrators can now edit archived or withdrawn items using the same UI available for submissions, exploiting functionalities such as dropdown, autocomplete, ORCID lookup, validation, etc.
- Deduplication tools (detect & merge): this administrative tool allows to check the database for potential duplicates and to merge the confirmed matches. During the submission, an alert is shown when a potential duplicate is detected. More information and screenshots available here https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACECRIS/deduplication+alert
- Improved ORCiD synchronization: DSpace-CRIS now stores the internal identifier assigned by ORCiD to the publications in order to prevent record duplications when a local DSpace-CRIS update is pushed to ORCID ("put" code). In addition to that, DSpace-CRIS is now able to push to the ORCiD profiles educational and professional information of the researcher.
- Improved submission forms: among the new functionalities we can list the regex validation support, a framework for complex validation support, new input type “number” for submission and new input type “year” for submission.
- Improved security model for CRIS entities: every single CRIS object, object tab and object box can now be configured to be visible to specific users or user groups. An example of this would be when parts of a specific project description (such as costs) can be linked to the project participants, or the department director, or the research/contract office, etc.
- Automatic calculation of derived metrics: examples are average, maximum, minimum, variance of publication citation counts shown as metrics at the level of researcher, organization, project, and so on.
- Advanced import framework: border tables have been introduced to easily create ETL procedures to load and synchronize data, currently limited to publication, in the DSpace-CRIS installation.
- On-demand DOI registration: an administrative UI allows to register DOIs via DataCite or CrossRef for items matching configured criteria (theses, dataset, etc.). For each group it is possible to define the template used to generate the DOI and the metadata to deposit. The precalculated DOI can be revised by the administrator to allow complete personalization.
- Template service: the template item now supports the use of substitution variables bound to dynamic code plugged in as spring bean. The functionality allows the generation of default values dynamically generated in submission such as the timestamp, the details of the submitter, and so on.
- Creation of CRIS objects as part of the submission process: it allows users to create new CRIS objects (persons, projects, organizations, events, etc.) on demand as needed during the submission of a DSpace item. It can be even used to provide a workflow around the collection of data, including metrics, about CRIS entities.
As first implementation of the UI Extendibility we provide native support in DSpace-CRIS of the DSpace-CKAN Integration module (https://github.com/4Science/dspace-ckan). DSpace-CKAN allows an in-depth integration between DSpace and CKAN. Tabular data (CSV, XLS, etc.) are deposited in a CKAN instance through a curation task. The preview of the dataset content is enabled proxing in DSpace the CKAN Datastore API so to enforce the access condition defined in DSpace (Open Access, embargo, etc.). The dataset preview allows filtering, pagination and sorting, all the operation are performed on server side to save bandwidth overload. An example is visible here: https://dspace-cris.4science.it/handle/123456789/31
5.5 (released on March 27th, 2016 - click here to browse the code on github)
- Global Statistics: to provide a global view over the repository usage, visualization, download and deposit trends
- Facets for dynamic components: publications list, projects list and any other dynamic component included in the researcher profiles or in other CRIS entity details page (project, organization, etc.) can now provide faceting capabilities
- Bibliographic export for publications: researcher's publication list can be exported in several format by the profile owner and search results can be exported by the repository administrators
- Incremental Authority from previous value: to suggest terms from values already added into the system to keep metadata clean and to avoid misspelling. Common use cases include keywords, publishers, etc.
- Direct access to the researcher profile using external identifiers: make it easy to link external systems to your DSpace-CRIS installation without the need to know the internal identifier. For instance you can address your researcher profiles using their ORCID
5.4 (released on February 15th, 2016 - click here to browse the code on github)
There is now a general infrastructure to support metrics about any DSpace/DSpace-CRIS objects, such as traditional bibliometrics for publications, authors, journals, alternative and local metrics.
DSpace-CRIS is now integrated out-of-box with Scopus, Web Of Science, and PubMed Central to collect, show and process citation data. The AltMetrics badge can be shown beside the other metrics.
For any defined metric DSpace-CRIS allows for calculating objects’ local ranking and percentile in order to provide the “most cited” component to different web pages (the home page or any other specific Department/Office pages).
Internal statistics have been elaborated as usage metrics to make them available for “Most viewed”, “Most downloaded” components and to calculate local percentile.
Metrics data can now be exposed in “listing” to make browsing and searching easier, and they can also be used as sorting criteria. This is done by extending the SOLR capability to load additional information from an external source. This feature enables future improvements such as support for “user rated content” to DSpace.
Another important new development is the ability to load and update CRIS’ objects into the system using XLS file, a similar approach to what is actually supported by DSpace for standard items. The feature allows a user to set any kind of field, including the relations between different objects (such as org.unit and researchers, projects and researchers, etc.), and custom fields.
The data model configuration has been simplified, indeed it is now possible to easily export and import the configuration also using XLS files.
There is now a better integration between DSpace-CRIS and ORCID. When a researcher creates her profile in the local DSpace-CRIS, the system automatically collects all the biographic information (such as biography, additional names, external URLs, additional identifiers) from ORCID, both when the researcher directly accesses the system, as well as when a new publication is added to the system that the researcher is co-authoring.
Additionally, the new version has improved the layout and navigation experience: the navigation menu invites the user to explore the repository contents by “Entity”, offering the appropriate tools for each specific type of content such as dedicated browse indexes, advanced search options and components to highlight recent or featured content.
5.3 (released on August 15th, 2015 - click here to browse the code on github)
- Classification widget for CRIS entities (support for hierarchy taxonomy)
5.2.1 (released on July 24th, 2015 - click here to browse the code on github)
- ORCID integration: ability to push biographic data, publications and projects to the ORCID profile
- Boolean widget for CRIS entities
- Text Widget for CRIS entities now support input from controlled list using dropdown, checkbox or radio buttons
5.2 (released on May 25th, 2015 - click here to browse the code on github)
- ORCID integration (authentication)
- Ability to claim profiles (submission lookup on ORCID)
- Global search with Text Highlighting
4.3 (released on Apr 15th, 2015 - click here to browse the code on github)
- many layout improvement
- Global Search funded by University of Hong Kong
- ORCiD integration (authentication, submission lookup and import into cris)
4.2 (released on Mar 11th, 2015 - click here to browse the code on github)
- bug fixing of the 4.1.2 release and update to DSpace 4.2 release
4.1.2 (released on Jul 12th, 2014 - click here to browse the code on github)
- bug fixing of the 4.1.1 release
4.1.1 (released on Jun 28th, 2014 - click here to browse the code on github)
- bug fixing of the 4.1.0 release
4.1.0 (released on Jun 13rd, 2014 - click here to browse the code on github)
- upgrade to DSpace 4.1 and to the bootstrap layout also for the DSpace-CRIS pages
- full support for Oracle (tested on 11.g R2 and 12.c), other than PostgreSQL 9.x
- Extensive testing on Oracle
- Easier installation process
1.8.3-beta (released on Sep 6th, 2013 - click here to browse the code on github)
- bug fixing of the 18.104.22.168-beta release
- upgrade to dspace 1.8.3 (security fix)
3.2.0-beta (first draft on Jul 31, 2013 - released on Aug 3rd, 2013 - click here to browse the code on github)
- porting to DSpace 3.2
22.214.171.124-beta (released on July 24th, 2013 - click here to browse the code on github)
- bug fixing of the 126.96.36.199-beta release
- Data Model: ability to define new object types via UI to manage 2nd level CRIS entities: prize, equipment, laboratory shared and linked to one or more 1st or 2nd level CRIS entities
188.8.131.52-beta (released on June 24th, 2013 - click here to browse the code on github)
- Usage Statistics
- CRIS entity detail page visit
- Global & Top related CERIF Entity views & downloads referencing the CRIS entity (projects for researchers, researchers for OrgUnits, etc.)
- Global & Top item views & downloads referencing the CRIS entity
- email and RSS alerts
- PubMed Article level metrics
- cited-by count in the item page
- number of pubmed articles for researcher
- total citations in pubmed for researcher (only items in local DSpace database will be counted)
- Integration with DSpace
- ability to hide publications (or any other related entity: projects, etc.) in the researcher profile
- make a list of selected publications (or any other related entity: projects, etc.)
- claim/disclaim (link/unlink) previously DSpace entered publication items, to a researcher profile
- SOAP WebServices for READ-ONLY access to CRIS information
- Network visualization and analysis
184.108.40.206-alpha1 (unreleased, available on github since Febrary 4th, 2013 )
- bug fixing of the alpha release
220.127.116.11-alpha (released on November 26th, 2012)
- Management of the 1st level CRIS entities: Researcher Profiles, Projects, Organization Units
- Administrative UI for data model definition using the JDynA framework
- Detail page for any entity organized in Tab and Box themed with JQuery UI
- Faceted Search using the DSpace Discovery 3.0 configuration
- Customizable Browse indexes using a backport of the SOLR Browse DSpace 3.0 contribution
- Basic integration of DSpace-CRIS entities with publications (DSpace Item):
- CRIS entities as authority for Item metadata
- list of referencing DSpace Items in the detail page of the CRIS entities