Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees

The (star) represents who will be taking notes for a given meeting. It rotates after each meeting to the next person in the attendee list.

Meeting Details

  • May 15, 2019 at 9:00 AM ET / 13:00 UTC / 15:00 CEST
  • Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://duraspace.zoom.us/my/com.mem
    Or iPhone one-tap:
    US: +16468769923,7828625387# or +16699006833,7828625387#
    Or Telephone:
    Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
    US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833
    Meeting ID: 7828625387

Next meeting May 29, 9:00 AM ET / 13:00 UTC / 15:00 CEST

Goals

  • Find alignment on the plan leading up to Open Repositories 2019 in Hamburg


Background

Alignment / Decisions from previous meetings

  1. We need a plan with actions, goals and associated target dates, aimed at marketing for DSpace 7
    1. Popular use cases, and how DSpace 7 improves on them, are powerful in marketing
    2. Facts that the SG endorses, are powerful in marketing
  2. We need a more general approach for DSpace Marketing on the longer term. The group did not reach agreement on whether this can be open ended, or whether this can have a finite timeline

Discussion items

Item

Who

InformationNotes
DSpace 7 preview release update

 blog post and translations will be posted once all release information is available.

released tomorrow: removing bugs from merged code
translations in Spanish, French, German, Italian; Portuguese is on the way


How to talk about the DSpace 7 release and delays

Discussion of talking points for DSpace 7 release and delays

The largest release in history; already more pull requests than all of DS 3-5. No grant funding. Relying completely on community developers. Test-driven development for the first time; longer development time leading to more complete, stable, bug-free releases.

Ways to overcome the delays in future: estimation process, requested 1/2 time community manager position persisting beyond June using R&D funding via LYRASIS


Finalizing OR2019 merchandising orders

T-shirts and buttons, all buttons are round






Repository Rodeo at OR2019

Pascal will represent DSpace in the repository rodeo

Each panelist will deliver a short presentation on their repository software focusing on the following questions:

  • What (very briefly) does your repository do?
  • What is the current state of your repository and community?
  • What is the current state and direction of your technical development?
  • What are the most surprising or promising innovations in the repository space that you see in the coming year?
  • How does your repository and community address the needs of your users, particularly in relation to the other repositories and communities represented on the panel?

Lead DSpace 7 marketing timeline overview with updates, discussion leading up to OR 2019

On track to have DSpace SWAG in Hamburg for OR2019


Draft tabular comparison of DSpace with other technologiesDavid Corbly

Draft comparison https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_UQjWgFoArVvckI9wJ1uDahSpWbO6Vp1MVvd723hAcs/edit?usp=sharing


Other




Notes

  • Translations can go out on the user lists and slack channels at the same time as the announcement is released by DuraSpace.
  • Would be nice for multi-language tweets to go out from the DuraSpace/DSpace accounts. Carol can do this, or can find the tagged tweets and retweet them.
  • Need to check with Tim about release of the tweets; when will it be ready? If we can make it 10 am ET for Thursday, if not then 10am ET Monday
  • Tricky to time for the release of the tweet coordinated with the language and time zone. But it would be valuable to spread out the promotion. 
  • Discussing DS 7: Heather reviewed items above. Pascal: very clear to say we are completely rebuilding the user interface DSpace 7. This is helpful for people to understand the impact. 
    • Do we want to say anything about the combination of DS 6 and DS 7 are a complete new codebase? This is useful for a deeper conversation about why there has been delay. 
    • Delay is also a tricky word. Based on what? Hard to determine timing for community-driven software. We are not breaking a promise. The software is taking the time that it is taking to be complete. We're working with many stakeholders and we are very transparent about our next milestone. Still important to get it out as quickly as possible. 
    • More than delays it is about challenges. Challenges of working on the most complex release ever, in a community context. There are challenges we will work to overcome together. 
    • We won't talk about delays, we will focus on the open aspect of the project and the community focus
    • Community has added more features and effort so it is taking more time
  • OR2019 merchandise
    • Buttons for DSpace, 4 of them, less costly. 100 of each. Pascal is helping with the t-shirt printer in Germany, emailing with them and will call directly. Having them produced in country is much less expensive. 
  • Repository rodeo - Pascal will represent DSpace
    • Pascal would like to get feedback on these questions. Heather will send a Google doc after the meeting.
    • Can we show growth of the community? Registry over time? DuraSpace has numbers for user-contributed data
    • Does GitHub provide a download statistic for the repo?
    • What data do we need to collect? 
    • Many recent DSpace installations in Germany so that is exciting. 
  • Marketing schedule update
    • Will update after OR and look to our next promotional opportunities
  • Draft feature comparison
    • Internal use, nothing has been verified but trying to give us a sense of where we are. We could prepare something more vetted in the future.
    • Can we determine what is needed to vet this? Can service providers help with it?
    • Bram: super useful starting point. What to add to it but not certain about unambiguous interpretation of the features. There is some nuance to the feature offerings. For example, dangerous to say "modern user experience" might want to make more specific. 
    • Could be an excellent living document that we could keep up to date
    • Not an easy task but would be nice to ask people to work on this at OR. So people who know other repositories can actually add information about their repositories. Would be very valuable as a platform census-style exercise. How would we operationalize that? What could be next steps? 
    • This comparison has been done somewhere else? A blog? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cXOug3qM0pNNeD_wssiVEv9c0W1Y5I1VDTnSPTk7fb4/edit#gid=0
    • We'll wait until more information about other software is presented at OR Repository Rodeo and then revisit

Action items from this meeting

Item

Who

Getting information to all members about when we can release the preview announcement tomorrow; then will determine timing.

Heather Greer Klein
Heather will send repository rodeo Google doc to discuss the questions ahead of the next meetingHeather Greer Klein
Heather will ask Tim for download information for DSpace for the repo rodeoHeather Greer Klein


Action items from previous meetings

Item

Who

Put together a simple mockup of a DSpace 7 excitement testimonial slide/postcard to share with potential testimonial givers
Start a page for DSpace 7 on dspace.org (/dspace-7) to be ready when preview release is ready


  • No labels