This Confluence wiki site, maintained by DuraSpace prior to the recent merger with LYRASIS, will transition from the duraspace.org domain to the lyrasis.org domain on Saturday, Nov 16 beginning at approximately 7pm ET. A period of downtime of 2-3 hours is expected. After the transition, this wiki will be available at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/. All links to duraspace.org wiki pages will be redirected to the correct lyrasis.org URL. If you have questions prior to or following the transition please contact: wikihelp@lyrasis.org.

Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Unavailable:

The (star) represents who will be taking notes for a given meeting. It rotates after each meeting to the next person in the attendee list.

Meeting Details

Background

Discussion items

Item

Who

Notes
Upcoming blog posts, messaging: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11LdwplYM5Ys9o1JGte8Rf5K3O-v4pjf7Vd_FLt-Cc5E/edit#heading=h.glmn40ftdaxkCarol
  • The general message should not promise any new release dates even with the estimation process. No beta release this year.
    Developers need the freedom to take time to do the work correctly.
  • Not sending any update message is a bad sign for DSpace 7.
  • The Marketing Group is in alignment that we want a general update message  about Dspace 7.
  • The estimation process will indicate the number of days needed by one full time person to get to a  beta release–information about volunteer efforts will not be accounted for in estimation process.
  • Could we list topics that the dev team is working on/completing parts of?
  • More interesting to general audience to list high level functionality and how current efforts will enable key functionality for users.
    • Articulate design strategy around internationalization: automated tools.
    • Stats
  • We don’t know when the estimation process will be complete. Estimation document is public but link is not widely distributed
  • Kristi Park (new DSpace Leadership Group chair) is wondering about messaging—Share marketing plan with leaders (Oct 23)?
  • From a marketing perspective: keep on postponing until DSpace 7 is fully ready or release something soon?
  • Zero value for a release before beta; no interim release, Bram
  • Any version of DSpace 7 that contains the angular UI and can be considered stable would have value; people are not adopting DSpace because they don't want to invest into DSpace 6 UIs anymore, Pascal
  • Bram suggests that there are 2 big themes that must be guaranteed as part of any release: security; performance. Do not want to put something in users hands that is substandard in these areas
  • This DSpace 7 development pivot point is an open conversation, the marketing group is part of it.
  • BIG question: what is the community (primarily) waiting for in DSpace 7?
    • Entities is key
    • Very large Latin American community, UG communities—OpenAire Guidelines compliance because they have national mandates to comply
    • Just want to know that OA compliance is happening in DSpace 7
    • would it be ok to delay OpenAire compliance to DSpace 8
    • Marketing group will review DSpace 7 Pivot marketing plan at DSpace Leadership group meeting Oct 23
    • Bram Luyten (Atmire) and Carol Minton Morris  to rework first message by Oct 22; marketing group to review
"Adopt a feature" idea follow-upSusanna
  • Susanna Mornati (4Science) presented the "Adopt a feature" idea at the North American DSUG meeting. The idea is that when feature development estimates are ready it will be easier to find developers who will volunteer to complete a specific, time-boxed feature, or find institutions that would pay to "sponsor" completing a feature.
  • Need completed estimates for this initiative to be effective.
    $ will be lost by end of year particularly in Europe where institutions have money left in bugrets that they would like to contribute to DSpace 7 development.
  • Carol has requested that this concept be reviewed for feasibility by LYRASIS administration. Nothing to report currently.

Outreach message to leaders of global user groups

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10vzZXffdbmRZhsRhvCDbd2eC56NuKQeaCtbYLCB4ljI/edit?usp=sharing

Michele
  • This message will go to all 13 leaders of international user groups, will be translated into regional languages and sent to UG members from leaders.
  • Opportunity to engage/begin global conversation around Dspace development
  • Please review/comment/edit document by 10/25

Action items

Item

Who

Message for wide distribution to the larger community about the DSpace 7 scheduling pivot, google doc by 10/11/19, Carol completedCarol, for review by all
Carol will work with Bram every month to develop a story about features that have been developed for DS7 in process

Start releasing information about milestones as they are met, to show the progress currently being made each week. in process


Keep looking for endorsers and considering what the ask is for the campaign – what will they do to respond? in process
Carol will keep the group informed about the combining of the web presence into LYRASIS in process
  • No labels