Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

Angular meeting

Attendees

Notes

  • Upcoming Travel Schedules
    • Week of March 27 : Tim is out March 27-30, returning on Fri, 31st.  Art & Andrea B will lead meeting
    • Week of April 3: Tim and Andrea B are at DuraSpace Summit.  Art will lead meeting, Andrea B will hand over REST API updates to another 4Science staff member.
  • PR updates
  • https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/71 → TypeDoc Merged
  • https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/72 → Looks good, Art wants another tester.  Tim will test on Windows (UPDATE: Tested, approved & merged)
  • Need to get Travis CI setup with our 'dspace-angular' GitHub repository
  • REST API question: We need a way to easily find the thumbnail for bitstream images. Can we link from a bitstream to its thumbnail?
    • Andrea says it seems plausible
    • Art asks if it's also possible to make this more generic..so institutions can override or add custom links between bitstreams?
    • Andrea unsure
    • Tim notes that this sounds like additional complexity. It sounds like something to delay for now and revisit later.  Nice idea, but we need basics first
  • REST API question: How do we plan to present the homepage news section (which comes from a config file)?
    • Could we present this as part of the Site object?  It's almost metadata on a site.
    • Parallels noted between homepage news and the news/intro metadata on Community/Collection objects
    • Andrea suggests we consider a /configuration endpoint (or similar) on all object types (Site, Community, Collection, Item).
      • This could work for site-wide configs (like homepage) as well as other configs specific to individual objects
  • William notes that work is occurring to make Angular Universal part of core Angular (and supported by core team)
    • This will simplify our dependencies... but may take some work to pull in once ready
    • Still seems to be a work in progress. Not yet stable, but something to watch.
    • Unfortunately, Universal CLI is not being brought into core team. Uncertainty about what that means for Universal CLI, if it has to be supported by a separate group
  • Revisiting Spinner Service idea
    • Has now be closed out and rethought of as a Loading Service: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/issues/73
    • William notes we may want to look closer at zone.js (which has been widely adopted within Angular). It might be a better way of achieving this?

REST meeting

Attendees

Notes

  • Revisiting Configuration notes/discussion from last 1/2 hour (see above)
    • Andrea notes that when it comes to Configuration, different configs will require different levels of access rights
      • Configs that simply tweak UI behavior would need to be "public" (it's how a site behaves)
      • Configs specific to a Submission UI may need to be limited to submitters
      • Configs specific to Administration (or security related) would need to be limited to Administrators
      • Some configs would not even be surfaced through REST, if they simply are needed by the Java API (e.g. database connection information)
    • Currently our new REST API does not have any security on it (as we're simply trying to create functionality rapidly)
    • We need to start creating tickets regarding necessary security (and discussions like these) as reminders/blockers for the final REST API.
  • PR to merge rest7 into master has been updated to re-enable Solr (and it all works). So it's ready to merge: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1679
    • Live vote. All approve
    • Tim merges PR into master. This means we'll move all REST development to master.
  • Other recent PRs (all since merged)
  • Discussion about  DS-3533 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    • Andrea mentions having a /search endpoint on each object (with object specific filters, via annotations or similar). This would allow you to filter objects more easily to find what you need/want.
    • Lazy loading v. loading entire hierarchy (for things like hierarchical browsing). Lots of back & forth discussion
      • For Angular team, having the entire hierarchy in some situations is easier...as long as its "partial" objects (e.g. names/links)
    • Andrea mentions that we'll want to always limit the set of children returned in a hierarchy. E.g. if 20 child objects, you may return them all. But, if there are 2,000 child objects, we should limit to returning 20 at a time, paginated.
    • William asks if JSONView annotations can help here? https://spring.io/blog/2014/12/02/latest-jackson-integration-improvements-in-spring
  • Feedback on REST Contract
  • Meeting Time: The 16UTC time is more difficult for those in Europe as they enter daylight saving time (next week)
    • Future meetings will now move one hour earlier to 15UTC (11am EDT).
  • Wrap up: Thanks to everyone for your hard work here. Next week's meeting via Slack.

  • Next Meeting: Thurs, March 30 at 15:00UTC (11am EDT) via Slack

  • No labels