Time:12:00PM PDT/03:00PM EDT - 01:00PM PDT/04:00PM EDT
- Retrospective for Sprint 2
- Steps before Samvera Connect
Retrospective on last week's sprint
First part: How were the check-ins? How was the planning?
- Check-ins were tight and direct.
- Planning were built off of how the first sprint was undertaken. It was wise to focus on a smaller set of issues than many assumed was possible.
- Couldn’t help but notice the capacity for the sprint seemed to vary. Is there some way we can improve outreach for the community to try and bring in more volunteers?
- Would hate to see the group rechartered and the same members come on board and find themselves in position where their time is in short supply.
- Was helpful to take on more technical issues.
- Feel the group has been helpful and fills a niche within the community that needs to remain in place. Helpful to developers who are dedicated towards solution bundles such as Hyrax, given that it gives a larger sense of responsibility and facilitates task delegation. Anyone interested in participating in the review process it’s useful to have a body of people to contact if gem releases need shepherded etc.
- Capacity, reflected in structure of group
- Do not know how to increase capacity
- Participation in stand-ups varied throughout the week
- Scope was looked at in various ways
- Lot of variability in how the group was looking at the tickets in the sprint
- Sprint went okay
- Similar concerns about availability
- Group's composition prevent that from being helped
- Technical work was accomplished, particularly releases for Gems
- The only other concern, was that it seemed like planning could have gone better
- A number of issues were either unclear, or there was a secondary level of planning after running out of them mid-week
- Discussion around the scope could have been improved
Second part: Thoughts on how the group as a whole is going?
If it's going well, re-charter during Samvera Connect
- Supports rechartering the WG
- Feels that drawing a greater degree of interest would be useful
- Not certain how this would be undertaken, and voiced this in the retrospective for the last (i. e. first) sprint
- This was very successful in getting us the kind of low-level view of dependencies
- Having the calls alone provides us with the ability to conceptualize how to manage maintaining the core components
- Doing more outreach and having some clarity about what folks doing maintenance on solution bundles or community calls should do when they find problems
- Our approach is to have them route the requests through the product owners (who dispatch us as needed)
- This might not be clear to members of the community, and this practice also has not been adopted
- It's good to have the discussions which we are having
- These types of discussions used to happen as a part of the tech. call
- Is this an evolution of the fact that there is a difference in the priority of the work now for the community?
- Defining the scope when rechartering the WG would be the larger challenge
- If we recharter the group, we have core components now...determining what type of tickets we take on will become a question
- Need to propose and advertise processes
- Also need to interface with Product Owners more consistently
- If we need to release a Gem or update dependencies are understandable
- But, should we be refactoring also? Are we now also the developers for these core component Gems?
- Those do seem like the right questions
- If we recharter will we get the same members or new people?
- There isn't a huge amount of interest in joining...what does that mean about our capabilities?
- Next week, we should discuss this point more
Discussing steps before Samvera Connect
- We were going to sign up for a Lightning Talk
- We should clarify what we were going to say there by next week
- Should also provide an update regarding what is necessary in order to charter the next WG/Phase
- Pendragon will produce the bullet points for the Lightning Talk for next week
- See if there are any other items to discuss before looking to recharter
Meeting was adjourned at 12:19PDT/15:19 EDT
During the call, Mark Bussey (who was attending Samvera Camp as an instructor) provided the following feedback using Slack:
I'd be super supportive of seeing the group continue for another cycle - and I can try to make more time to wear my PO hat next round and/or try to engage other POs to help out if that would be useful.