Tim notes that Heather Greer Klein will soon be joining the effort as a part-time DSpace 7 Product Manager (8 hours per week, until DSpace 7 is released). She'll help with planning tasks, liaison with Marketing, etc.
She's on vacation today, but hopefully will be able to attend next week's meeting.
Preview Release Discussion
Steering discussed yesterday and decided to move forward with Preview Release. It's an important deadline, both for marketing as well as for ensuring we're "on schedule" for OR2019.
Preview Release new deadline is end of March
Beta Release in time for OR2019.
Perform preview release on a separate branch (not master) to allow for code that is still undergoing final review?
Art: seems ok, but we need to be more conservative than we were before OR2018. Nothing could go on this branch that isn't nearly complete.
Andrea: Agrees with Art around OR2018 issues. Against this idea overall
This was discussed in Steering as a "backup plan". End goal is still to try and get everything on "master", but if we are running late, the decision becomes: Do we push back Preview Release again (has risk that we miss Beta by OR2019), or do we cut the release with some "partially reviewed" features/code?
Consensus: We cannot decide this today. Likely this needs to go to an email vote.
Not high priority as this is a backup plan, but we do need to have a backup plan if Preview Release deadline of end of March starts to "slip"
Solr Upgrade Discussion
When do we merge? The code passes all ITs and is in review stage. It will affect all developers, as they will need to install a separate Solr (Mark W notes that's not hard)
No user facing improvements though
Consensus: This is a "nice to have" for Preview Release, but not required. It's third priority behind Submission/Workflow & Configurable Entities. If it misses Preview (or cannot be tested sufficiently before then) we should merge this just after Preview
Concurrency in DSpace 7 (or 8). What do we want to do when multiple editors are editing the same object?
We don't have enough information to make a decision here. It sounds more and more like this might need to wait for DSpace 8 (low priority for DSpace 7). However, Atmire will analyze whether there is a "quick fix" or quick solution and report back.