This page has been superseded by an ongoing Strategic Planning page, which describes all recent strategic planning activities.
The contents of this page have been kept as a historical record, but the ongoing work based on these Vision Discussions can now be found on the Strategic Planning page (and subpages).
This page is the homepage for discussions taking place around DSpace 3-5 Vision and Roadmap, begun in May 2013 but continuing into 2014
Who is involved?
The DSpace Vision work is a collaboration between several groups, and requires approval / feedback from all of them at various stages:
Next Steps / Planning
What follows is a rough outline of the next steps in developing a vision and ultimately a technology roadmap for DSpace software. Please keep in mind that many of these steps may involve differing and sometimes overlapping groups of people. In addition, these steps may not necessarily be performed in the order displayed below.
UPDATE: These planning steps have been "formalized" into a Product Planning Process
- Develop a high level "Vision" for DSpace software. (ACTION: DSpace Vision Team)
- Survey the DSpace Community around the perceived "use cases/features" which may achieve that Vision. (ACTION: DSpace Vision Team)
- Summarize & analyze Vision Survey results (e.g. what does our community find most important about DSpace?). (TIMELINE: March/April 2014, ACTION: DSpace Vision Team or subset)
- Develop a high level "DSpace Product Plan" which brings together the Vision with perceived core use cases and feature sets (TIMELINE: April/May 2014, ACTION: Small team, with early feedback/approval from all groups)
- Work begun at: DSpace 2014 Product Plan
- Present a draft of Technology Plan to community for feedback/input (at OR14 in June)
- Investigate implementation options based on core use cases and feature sets (while keeping in mind extendability for "non-core" use cases), (TIMELINE: TBD - Q3 2014?, ACTION: Small team of Committers / Tech savvy folks, with early feedback/approval from all groups)
- Develop an Implementation Roadmap to achieve our Product Plan & Vision (TIMELINE: TBD - Q4 2014?, ACTION: Small team of Committers / Tech savvy folks, with early feedback/approval from all groups.)
Working Documents / Drafts
Vision Meeting Notes
(Note: at this time, only a subset of the meeting notes are actually copied to the wiki...more meeting notes can be found in the archives of the 'dspace-vision' mailing list below)
- 'dspace-vision' Google Group : This is a public list (archives are publicly available/searchable) which is just meant for organizing this group's work / activities / meetings.