Planning | Description | Requirements | UI Mockup | Triples | SOLR Design
- How are Library Virtual Collections exposed to the public?
- How do they have a separate identity from the main site? For instance, the Engineering Library website with listings of multiple engineering related virtual collections?
- How is search limited to a specific Library Virtual Collection?
- How do librarians keep Library Virtual Collections private before it is ready for public consumption?
- How does the creator of a Library Virtual Collection identify collaborators?
- How are controlled vocabularies defined?
- How does a librarian add a new tag to a controlled vocabulary?
- How does a librarian add a new controlled vocabulary with tags?
- Are controlled vocabularies specific to a single Library Virtual Collection or shared across all Library Virtual Collections?
- Where are controlled vocabularies stored/managed?
- How are definitions for controlled vocabularies made available on the web as a definition of the meaning of a tag exposed as linked data?
Status of Planning Process
- UI Mockup – TBA – under development. Not sufficiently complete for review.
- Requirements – TBA – under development. Not sufficiently complete for review.
Observations about existing virtual libraries at Cornell...
Using Engineering Library, Physical Sciences Library, and Math Library as examples...
- From main Cornell University Library site, click Libraries and Hours in tabs of banner.
- Shows a list of Libraries and Hours
- Engineering Library - 24/7 study space
- Physical Science Library - 24/7 study space
- Math Library - has hours
- From Libraries and Hours page, click the title of library (i.e., Engineering Library)
- shows information about the library
- Engineering Library - Online only
- Physical Science Library - Online only
- Math Library - 68,300 print volumes
- From Libraries and Hours page, click the website under each library
- Tabs in banners on each library website
- Engineering Library - NOTE: every menu item has a sub-menu
- Home - (no sub-menu) goes to home page for Engineering Library
- Collections - sub-menu appears to have virtual collections
- About Us - clicking goes to staff page for Engineering Library; also lists other pages with general information about the Engineering Library in the sub-menu; all links are to pages in the Engineering Library
- Services - clicking goes to the same list of services that are in the sub-menu; some services links lead to pages in the Engineering Library; others go to the main Cornell University Library website
- Catalog - Classic Catalog, Summon, WorldCat Local
- Libraries - clicking goes to Libraries and Hours in main Cornell University Library website; also lists several libraries in sub-menu
- Contact Us - (no sub-menu) goes to contact info page for Engineering Library
- Physical Science Library
- Clark Physical Sciences Library - home page for Physical Science Library
- Clark Learning Suite FAQ - faq page in Physcial Science Library
- CU Library Web Site - home page for main Cornell University Library
- Math Library
- Home - home page for Math Library
- Catalog - goes to Classic Catalog (catalog.library.cornell.edu) – perhaps older search of main library catalog - not clear
- CU Library - home page for main Cornell University Library
- Subject Libraries - goes to Libraries and Hours in main Cornell University Library website
- CU Info - goes to CUinfo page in main Cornell University website