NOTE: As of February 2019, the final deliverables for this group have been completed.
Future meetings may occur on a quarterly basis as needed for revisions and edits to the recommendations.
Questions or comments on these recommendations should be directed to the Samvera Metadata Interest Group.
Draft Scope & Objectives
This group is interested in working together on what to do with our legacy MODS XML in a linked data / RDF world and is a subgroup of the Descriptive Metadata Working Group.
The main initial goal focuses of this group seem to be:
- Discussion on MODS XML problematic mapping issues.
- Creation of a shared "unofficial standard" Application Profile that MODS XML is transformed to.
Out of scope:
- Support for repository solutions outside of Fedora Commons 4.
Draft Deliverables & Timeframe
The goal of this group is to have a final deliverable document by the end of 2015. This document would essentially be:
- Recommendations on what mappings are possible for a particular MODS field.
- An "unofficial" standard for what many institutions of this group plan to implement. This then would allow their local communities (Islandora, Samvera, etc) to then have shared code to support that standard.
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
Time: Mondays at 9 AM PST / Noon EST. Every two weeks starting 2015/07/27. Next Meeting 2017/03/20.
Call-In Info: 712-775-7035 (Access Code: 960009)
Updates and announcements will be sent to samvera-community, samvera-tech, and islandora lists.
Members agree that by participating all documents produced as part of the working group will be released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 Unported License.
Generic contact: mods2rdf [at] gmail [dot] com
- Steven Anderson, facilitator (Boston Public Library)
- Joshua Westgard (University of Maryland Libraries)
- Kelcy Shepherd (Amherst College)
- Justin Coyne (Data Curation Experts)
- Nick Ruest (York University)
- Bria Parker (University of Maryland)
- Christina Harlow (University of Tennessee)
- Steve DiDomenico (Northwestern University)
- Sonoe Nakasone (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- Moira Downey (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
Individual Institution Homework Pages
MODS elements as RDF Collaboration Documents (Detailed page: Collaboration Documents)
Initial MODS XML to RDF resources:
Current Institution Problem Mappings / Full MODS XML Mappings: