Time: 1:00 PM EST / 10:00 AM PST
Call-In Info: 712-775-7035 (Access Code: 960009)
Moderator: Eben English (Boston Public Library)
Notetaker: TBD (Etherpad link: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Samvera_Newspapers_Interest_Group_Call__2017-12-07)
- IMLS Grant Update
- Documentation still under active development
- Starting development, first sprint will focus on translating models and relationships from PCDM Profile into working code.
- PCDM Profile updates: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T_gKqkKoik7h9WweYB46S9NrwAXmJTB0g3hCrqH3Q6Q/edit?usp=sharing
- Added ordering proxy for article in issue
- Article-level files now a separate fileset
- Are proxies needed to order these? Or could ordering be done without proxies?
- Binary files may be attached to NewspaperContainer objects
- For images that may exist on microfilm reel but do not contain newspaper content
- Title cards
- Target frames
- Ingest Scenarios: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KnzsHubEeRRVH1K8CoCVzq5295ONzq94VHDUMzAskg/edit?usp=sharing
Working on documentation related to ingest use cases (PDF, NDNP data, etc.)
What is required for each?
What files already exist?
What derivatives need to be created?
- How should full text be indexed?
How should batch ingest UX be structured?
- Content Examples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwKKtxaBVqjEbE5zMFdWUEU4WGM?usp=sharing
- PDF issues
- Still need:
Did not cover this during call
- Design Overview docs
- NewspaperWorks (admin gem): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X6OLz9OfoyMyUBsCuLUMROe9EBqF6upDqPhPKFQxLAY/edit?usp=sharing
NewspaperViews (display gem): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LorDyCVB9UW6exfA1y5fG2bQb6ASXLHa03nNgQYrtZA/edit?usp=sharing
- Did not cover this during call
- Intel sharing from other groups/members
- Linn-Benton Community College
- Have a collection of student newspapers, working on ingesting these into Hyrax-based repo
- Issue-level PDFs
- Have questions around formatting of issue titles
- How best to format to include date of publication, volume, issue number?
- Occasionally volume/issue data as printed on issue is incorrect
- Typical cataloging practice is to transcribe as data appears on item
- Can add correction as a note
- Interested in being able to search within a particular volume (year)
- Could volumes be modeled as subcollections?
Next meeting: Thursday January 4, 1 PM EST