Discussion Interests by attendee
Final Discussion Topics
Bill - FedoraShare
- Missing - Call disseminations using REST API
- Web 2.0 - Add your content easily.
- Relate the stuff from multiple sites.
- What is the user experience?
- Eddie - Goal is Fedora API improvements or FedoraShare application?
- Inform, Include, Provide easy simple application (Sandy - note Timeline from Simile)
- YouTube as a dissemination. (example dissemination)
- Google has a different OpenID impl.
- With FedoraShare HTML page with YouTube embed tag.
- Eddie - Yahoo Pipes? Rick - Investigate Kepler.
- Simple back-end.
- Users as first class objects.
- Messaging does API-A.
- Dan - Rebuild slider in FedoraShare.
- Triple benefits.
- Replication into multiple sources.
- Flex is well supported.
- Low impact frontend.
- Dan - Local App/Server
- Developers - My shop does not support?
- Reusable code?
- Separable components.
Paul - Mulgara
- JTA (Andre)
- Handle all transactions
- One write at a time - need to move to multiple writers
- Connection API
- Graph URIs (permits arbitrary URIs - does not identify host)
- Rmi://host.com/server1?graph=foo:bar as opposed to # (fragment ID)
- SPARQL Engine
- SPARQL Language
- Focused on join optimizations rather than filtering which is needed for complex SPARQL queries
- Meeting W3C SPARQL spec especially what goes in must come back exactly (cannot be canonicalized)
- Sesame Integration
- James at Sesame giving good feedback
- Sesame is 100% SPARQL but not Mulgara. SPARQL has distinct clause which causes problems with set semantics. Not easily fixed. No support for Regular Expression (different from Java). Order-by arbitrary expression support.
- HTTP APIs
- TQL (iTQL name going away)
- Using Servlets
- Throw exception if "insert" into Get operation
- Post expects an RDF file
- May be output in JSON
- HTTP UI
- Cleaned up no longer implemented in Barracuda
- Tutorial mentions graph URI: (not needed for real) Select Query: Query: Submit Button
- XA 1.1
- Multiple writers
- No problem with recycling Identifiers on 64bit systems
- 192 to 32 files for storage
- Better block writes
- Get test info from Ronald/Paul for presentations
- Change term from Model to Graph (W3C)
- Can index on all three orders SPO, POS, OSP
- Can index SPOG,POSG,OSPG,GSPO,GPOS,GOSP mostly these
- RLog - RDF Prolog
- hasUncle(X, Z) :- hasFather(X, Y), hasBrother(Y, Z). head :- body
- (X Y Z) y(X, Z) [foo:bar rdf:type foot:person]
- Supports transitivity, symmetry, will support consistency
- User transitivity to implement a resolver
- JLine - Library for Java but must use native code to do it. Supports a lot of platforms. Andy wrote
Bill - Admin Client
- Minimal Version
- Public Comment
- Alpha Distribution
- Keep the old version for at least one iteration
- Flex vs. Laszlo for implementation
Eddie - funAPI
- Make Fedora Zotero friendly
- Easiest to use OAI-PMH
Eddie - AtomPub
- Potential input servlet
- Simple get/post to URL
- How do we want to set all the other properties on the object
- Separate from SWORD, they may do the Fedora implementation themselves
Eddie - Zotero as Client of Fedora
- Uses WebDav, Raymond, does he think they will support Atom PP.
- Do we want to rethink supporting WebDav?
Matt - REST API
- Look at same platforms, MS Silverlight too small installed base, using Flex and ROR and simple HTML.
- Cannot get full management info on datastreams
- Timestamp checked for lazy lock
- Cannot do relationships
- No getDatastreams
- Setting the content model
- Indexing (e.g Search Engine)
- Query by Relation (RISearch)
- Find by Content Model hard to do
- Find by Relationship
- Directly support the DC datasets
- Find by DC Terms
- Find by a Specific Property or Value
- Leverage off OTM finding objects query language
Aaron - NSDL Implementation in Fedora 3.0
- In NSDL Wiki
- Move to FR30 to reduce pain points.
- OAIprovider does not have an understanding of NSDL Information model
- Makes it difficult to find related items
- Views are inconsistent
- Resource -> Aggregator -> Aggregator -> Aggregator path can be traversed, queried, or be a service itself
- Eddie - Repository should know its own structure without depending on client
- Chris - Also like an inferencing problem
- Both Content Model and SDef represent kinds of "typeiness"
- For access this is easier to see but what about create/ingest/write
- Could we generate Client code?
- What REST style is most effective for Fedora?
- Thought Experiment
Rick - Plone & CMS
- Plone - CMS in Python
- Collections are captured searches
- Links (except the built-in generic isLinkedTo) are user defined strings
- Content Modeler widely used.
- Active content display server
Paul - Mulgara Roadmap
- Rules engine has been around. Compile Horn Clauses to rules.
- Has uptake.
- Distributed queries but need improvement. Can improve performance especially network.
- Cloud optimizations, wants help
- Clustering, multi disk optimizations (RAID 1, configuration)
- Loading RDF is still the bottleneck but clustering is the coming problem
- SPARQL update, modify missing (delete then insert), no transactions
- Virtual graphs through resolvers, Mulgara does not have filters
- Rules, too course-grained for right now
- Consistency Checking
- RLog - needs to be more like a scripting engine, move to move parser then impl as resolver
- RETE engine for dynamic updates (most expensive)
- XA 1.1
Development Community, Processes and Infrastructure
- Chris - covered how we are provisioning projects
- Need HA solution
- Keep delivery on SourceForge
- Paul Google Groups has some bad perceptions.
- Backups of Wiki, Jira
- Rsynch SVN.
- Eddie - Mercurial
- Rick Plone - Collective
- Paul - Google Code
- Dan - Developers Pages and Experience, Wiki, CMS
- Dan - Developers Forums
- Eddie - Using Maven
- Chris - Still want a source release.
Chris - Akubra
- Eddie - Is Honeycomb dead. Chris - It represents XAM compliant storage.
- Eddie - Why is "quiesce" function required
- Sandy - Concerned with so little metadata. Chris - Many implementations with varying capabilities but other example may not be so concerned with disaster recovery.
- Sandy - Consider "last-modified-date" as required read-only metadata
- Bill - Summarized Amazon EC2/EBS/S3 experiments to date
- Reviewed - Peter Murray article on OCLC vs Amazon S3 Storage
- Reviewed Amazon SLA
- Eddie - What about Fedora Clusters (or Fedora Federation)
Chris - Ladder
- At each leve, does the previous level provide all you need to do the job of the current level? Yes, bu the implementation may do this in different ways.
- 0 - Persist (blob)
- was the blob sucessfully persisted?
- what blobs are persisted? (enumerated maybe with filter)
- what is the size of the blob?
- what is the modified date of the blob?
- give me the content of the blob?
- get blob
- put blob
- 1 - Relate (Subject is blob)
- (relate what?) facts about the blob
- blob to blob
- blog properties
- what blogs are related to this blob
- what properties describe this blob
- 2 - Aggregate
- Kahn Wilensky -> Digital Object -> Fedora Digital Objects -> ORE-Like Output
- Compound object
- 3 - Enrich
Symmetry with Semantic Web Stack?
- blobs - URI Unicode
- Facts about blobs - RDF
- Aggregations - RDFS
- Facts about Aggregations - OWL
- 3 OWL
- 2 RDFS
- 1 RDF
- 0 URI XML
Developers, Project and Product Website
- Deploy Plone
- Create a simple entry point
- Create a registry of all related items
- Platform Specific
- deb, rpm, sun
- fink, dmg
- Control Scripts (start/stop) - "Jump" to Start/Config
- JRE Decision
- "Start Menu"
- Database - Derby
- core-rep -> war
- generic-installer -> jar
- windows-installer -> ^
Wrap Up Actions
- Finish Challenges end of December,
- Continue Conceptualizing FedoraShare, Prototype Deliverable
- Continue with NSDL on Fedora 3.0 Conceptualization, Design/Report Deliverable
- Admin GUI Prototype (Test REST API, Flex)
- REST API Analysis and prototype some operations, findBy
- Zotero Integration Prototype
- unAPI and APP Prototype
- ORE Prototype (with Collaborators) (First Quarter 09)
- Test Maven to decide to do wholesale conversion
- Due diligence on hot server plug-in framework technology
- Investigate Mercurial
- Backup of Topaz site but leave resources alone, Find out hosting.
- Do we integrate Mulgara more closely? What are the boundaries?
- Field search (see REST findBy enabled by Triplestore)
- Akubra next steps, Implementation Deliverable
- Formalize provisioning for projects
- Choose a test candidate to "modularize"
- Install a production Plone and move the Website. High Priority
- Redesign "Developer" Web presence High Priority
- Plone-Fedora Interface
- Integrated testing framework
- Do we want to rethink supporting WebDav? (with Zotero integration provides great integration opportunity)
- Put Fedora Clusters and Fedora Federations in the Roadmap, Mulgara Clusters, EC2 Mid 2009.
- Mulgara Roadmap Update, Express Priorities (SPARQL Update very high)
- Technology Transfer Mulgara, Topaz, and Fedora
- Rick will build a Windows installer for Fedora Repository.
- Security Fedora, Muradora and Mulgara (SPARQL Interceptor, Gert Query rewriting)
- A lot of modest user-friendliness features
- Build a wish list of potential projects and features to develop, rationalize and trim list for trackers/roadmap
- Plan the next meeting