In the notes below
[dspace] refers to the install directory for your existing DSpace installation, and [dspace-1.3.x-source] to the source directory for DSpace 1.3.x. Whenever you see these path references, be sure to replace them with the actual path names on your local system.
- Step one is, of course, to back up all your data before proceeding!! Include all of the contents of
[dspace]and the PostgreSQL database in your backup.
- Get the new DSpace 1.3.x source code from the DSpace page on SourceForge and unpack it somewhere. Do not unpack it on top of your existing installation!!
- Copy the PostgreSQL driver JAR to the source tree. For example: cd [dspace]/libcp postgresql.jar [dspace-1.2.2-source]/lib
- Take down Tomcat (or whichever servlet container you're using).
- Remove the old version of xerces.jar from your installation, so it is not inadvertently later used:rm [dspace]/lib/xerces.jar
- Install the new config files by moving dstat.cfg and dstat.map from [dspace-1.3.x-source]/config/ to [dspace]/config
- You need to add new parameters to your [dspace]/dspace.cfg:
- Build and install the updated DSpace 1.3.x code. Go to the [dspace-1.3.x-source] directory, and run:ant -Dconfig=[dspace]/config/dspace.cfg update
- You'll need to make some changes to the database schema in your PostgreSQL database. [dspace-1.3.x-source]/etc/database_schema_12-13.sql contains the SQL commands to achieve this. If you've modified the schema locally, you may need to check over this and make alterations. To apply the changes, go to the source directory, and run: psql -f etc/database_schema_12-13.sql [DSpace database name] -h localhost
- Customize the stat generating statistics as per the instructions in System Statistical Reports
- Initialize the statistics using: [dspace]/bin/stat-initial[dspace]/bin/stat-general[dspace]/bin/stat-report-initial[dspace]/bin/stat-report-general
- Rebuild the search indexes: [dspace]/bin/index-all
- Copy the .war Web application files in [dspace-1.3.x-source]/build to the webapps sub-directory of your servlet container (e.g. Tomcat). e.g.:cp [dspace-1.3.x-source]/build/*.war [tomcat]/webapps
- Restart Tomcat.